New Peabody & Sherman movie announced and...

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

R.J. Smith

New Peabody & Sherman movie announced and...

Postby R.J. Smith » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:45 pm

THE CONCEPT ART IS GOOD!!!!

Check the new concept art of Peabody (to be played by Robert Downey, Jr.) on Cartoon Brew! Produced by DreamWorks Animation.
:mickey::donald::goof: [size=134][font=Comic Sans MS]We gotta' move![/SIZE][/font]
("[font=Comic Sans MS]Moving Day", 1936)[/font]

wiley207

Postby wiley207 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:00 am

Interesting, but... DREAMWORKS ANIMATION is making this?! Let's hope it's not ridden with fart jokes or non Jay Ward-style pop culture references, or characters often making the infamous "DreamWorks Face!"

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:33 am

Looks really good to me. I was pleasantly shocked that it was actually recognizable as Mr. Peabody. I was expecting a creepy cartoon character-real animal CGI hybird (see the live-action versions of Scooby-Doo, Garfield, or Yogi Bear). The fact this will be fully-animated is also a promising sign.

J. B. Warner

Postby J. B. Warner » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:56 pm

That is a very nice concept painting. Of course, Shrek had great concept art too, and look at how that turned out. Don't forget, this still has to be rendered in CGI. And if it's anything like those Road Runner cartoons Warner Bros. is doing now where you can see every damn strand of fur on the Coyote, I don't exactly have high hopes for a successful hand-drawn-to-CGI conversion.
:bugs2: This post is intended for adult collectors and may contain material that is unsuitable for younger children. :daffy:

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:03 pm

J. B. Warner wrote:That is a very nice concept painting. Of course, Shrek had great concept art too, and look at how that turned out. Don't forget, this still has to be rendered in CGI. And if it's anything like those Road Runner cartoons Warner Bros. is doing now where you can see every damn strand of fur on the Coyote, I don't exactly have high hopes for a successful hand-drawn-to-CGI conversion.

I thought the Coyote looked pretty good.

Philo & Gunge

Postby Philo & Gunge » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:44 pm

J. B. Warner wrote:That is a very nice concept painting. Of course, Shrek had great concept art too, and look at how that turned out. Don't forget, this still has to be rendered in CGI. And if it's anything like those Road Runner cartoons Warner Bros. is doing now where you can see every damn strand of fur on the Coyote, I don't exactly have high hopes for a successful hand-drawn-to-CGI conversion.

I don't see that as a bad thing. I liked the animation of the CGI Road Runner cartoons.

I really hope this movie does retain a degree of Jay Ward-looking style to it. And the tone of the original cartoons. This has the potential to be one of DreamWorks' best if done right.
The Trash Heap has spoken NYAHHH!!!
www.akiyoshishimizu.com

TTTP Member from March 2004-November 2011, proud from beginning to end.

kaseykockroach

Postby kaseykockroach » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:13 am

nickramer wrote:I thought the Coyote looked pretty good.

Also, speaking of the live-action treatment of cartoon, I saw your Yogi comic . No offense, but I watched the cartoons several months ago and I don't recall hearing any puns (other than the name) and found the comic pretty bad.

How dare you criticize such a brilliant comic, go make your own comic before you criticize someone else's! :P
(I'm jesting, by the way, just in case one doesn't catch on).
Oh and I don't see how a 4-minute cartoon would work as a feature film. I just don't.

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:23 am

I was reffering to that one strip. I havn't read the whole comic and since I don't have a DA account, some of the strips are locked.

kaseykockroach

Postby kaseykockroach » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:51 pm

nickramer wrote:I was reffering to that one strip. I havn't read the whole comic and since I don't have a DA account, some of the strips are locked.

My response was just me mocking the whole "Make your own film!" mentality. =p It's like telling a guy who hates Ford's cars to build his own car.

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:25 pm

kaseykockroach wrote:My response was just me mocking the whole "Make your own film!" mentality. =p

Well, it wasn't funny and I was serious about that when I said that to one member.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”