The Looney Tunes Show Premieres April 4th on Cartoon Network!

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Bugsy-Kun

Postby Bugsy-Kun » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:40 pm

John Dorian wrote:ThunderCats was produced by Rankin-Bass. It looked like it was an anime.

You're right John. It's Rankin-Bass alright, not Ruby Spears.

MadAboutMGM

Postby MadAboutMGM » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:00 pm

John Dorian wrote: That isn't to say that the Borutski designs are all full of awesomeness. While most of them are great (like Daffy, Yosemite, Pete Puma, Speedy, Pepe, Marvin, Sylvester, Tweety, Road Runner, Petunia, Forghorn, Taz, and Elmer), Bugs and Porky needs more constructive work, like making Porky a little fatter, and Bugs having fur visible on his cheeks.

She seems to be investing more effort than the nineties resurrections which is essentially Warner Bros. selling out their brand through heinous cross-merchandising and a shallow one-shot with Micheal Jordan. Though she is definitely pretentious if she thinks she can successfully equate her designs to the same level as the classics.

As vivacious as these designs are their angular forms are not as well composed or constructed as what was implemented by Clampett, Jones, Tashlin, or Avery's design sensibilities. I commend her for being the first to successfully make a fitting tribute to the originals though it may just not seem as enduring as the originals. The only thing I can say is that its about time Looney Tunes was in need for a resurrection for quite sometime.

Their rather obscure among contemporary audiences. What was commercially viable in the nineties has now become a nightmare and commercial liability for Warner Bros. Let me explain why several of the Golden Collection packages didn't make back their investments and is due to the rather ignorant fickle mainstream audiences. Even the older audiences that grew up with this stuff are eluded of the packages existence. This is why Turner has refused to air Looney Tunes, they don't seem to attract advertisers with this anymore it seems that something as sophomoric as Adventure Time or Regular Show have more potential despite having little to no substance in comparison to the classics.

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:11 pm

Speaking of designs, what about those vintage looking designs that came when "Back in Action" came out? I thought those were lovely and I think they still use them alittle on the Hallmarks cards (actually, they been using alot of different classic type designs of some cards such as a mid-1950's McKimpsons looking Daffy on a Christmas card).

Philo & Gunge

Postby Philo & Gunge » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:22 pm

nickramer wrote:Speaking of designs, what about those vintage looking designs that came when "Back in Action" came out? I thought those were lovely and I think they still use them alittle on the Hallmarks cards (actually, they been using alot of different classic type designs of some cards such as a mid-1950's McKimpsons looking Daffy on a Christmas card).

Those were great designs! Those were perfect, expressive and had a great Clampett-style look to it. I really wondered why the characters were never animated with those designs in anything.

On an unrelated note - I actually like the character designs from Back in Action as well. They had the right balance between the Van Citters designs and almost Disney-like animation style. But maybe that's just me misinterpreting their style.
The Trash Heap has spoken NYAHHH!!!
www.akiyoshishimizu.com

TTTP Member from March 2004-November 2011, proud from beginning to end.

Mr. Semaj

Postby Mr. Semaj » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:56 pm

Philo & Gunge wrote:On an unrelated note - I actually like the character designs from Back in Action as well. They had the right balance between the Van Citters designs and almost Disney-like animation style. But maybe that's just me misinterpreting their style.

The animation director was Eric Goldberg, who has spent most of his career at Disney.
Cartoons never were just for children. And neither is it a genre. It is an artistic medium where the use of caricatures are used to entertain or educate, with animation bringing said caricatures to life.

With such contemporary cartoons as The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, and the Adult Swim line-up, it's hard to dismiss the animated cartoon as only kids' fare. Cartoons can be for anyone. It's pure common sense.

John Dorian

Postby John Dorian » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:15 pm

Thad wrote:I'm sorry, but if you're slamming the work of Jim Smith, you obviously have no concept of what good and bad in animation is. If I had him as part of my team, I'd use everything that came out of his pencil and then some.

These drawings are alright but nothing special.

Let me ask Mr. "Dorian" a question, are you by any chance an employee of the show? Since joining the forum, you've only been promoting and defending this show and seem to have zero interest in discussing anything else.

Have you saw the WFLD thread? I discuss other things, like the original titles you post here.

And I do have a concept of knowing what good or bad animation is. And I never slammed the works of Jim Smith (not that I'm a really really huge fan of Spumco anyway). I'm saying that some of the old storyboards of the show just weren't that great.

And again no, I'm not on the show.

Toonatic

Postby Toonatic » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:50 pm

Big updates:

-A sneak peek just aired!

-3 clips are up on CN video!:
http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/video/index.html

-It appears the show has no been delayed to May

One of the clips say that the rating is TV-PG. I don't really like that. The rating to me should be TV-Y7.

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:02 pm

Eh....I think they need to try harder and get Joe to do the characters voices again and probably should've gotten Dave to do the designs

Mr. Semaj

Postby Mr. Semaj » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:15 pm

Toonatic wrote:-It appears the show has no been delayed to May.

[expletives deleted fer the young'ns] :mad:
Cartoons never were just for children. And neither is it a genre. It is an artistic medium where the use of caricatures are used to entertain or educate, with animation bringing said caricatures to life.

With such contemporary cartoons as The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, and the Adult Swim line-up, it's hard to dismiss the animated cartoon as only kids' fare. Cartoons can be for anyone. It's pure common sense.

Matthew Hunter

Postby Matthew Hunter » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:33 pm

Whoa! Not only do the new designs reach new heights of ugly when animated, the voices sound bad too! Rumor has it that's Jeff Bergman doing them, but it sounds like they took a play from the Larry Doyle book and sped them up too much!

Granted, I only have 3 clips to go on, but...the incidental human characters and backgrounds have no life to them at all, and feel like an early 90's after-school PSA special.

Plus, where's the music, and why are there so many "taking head" close-up shots?

I was kind of hoping the nay-sayers would be wrong and this would be a good show...but these 3 clips are lifeless, cheap-looking crap. CN's current audience is going to LOVE this, but I'm not. :shame:

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”