Cartoon Discussion of the Week (4/3/11) Pappy's Puppy

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Glowworm

Cartoon Discussion of the Week (4/3/11) Pappy's Puppy

Postby Glowworm » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:19 am

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzh9d_pappys-puppy_fun

This week we were mentioning underated Looney Tunes, and I suddenly recalled this little gem. Ironically enough, I saw this one a lot as a child on Nickelodeon--and enjoyed it, but somewhat forgot about it later on--although I'd once in a while remember it.

An impressive thing about this cartoon--if true is that Gerry Chiniquy animated the entire short. It's great animation, that's for sure.

Anyhow, Butch K. Bulldog is one awesome dad. The moment we meet him--anxiously awaiting the arrival of his new baby, we know that under his gruff exterior is the perfect father. He immediately faints--with pride--which is quite cute.

I especially like how Butch lovingly teaches his son how to be just like him. The bits where he teaches him how to saunter about like him (I really like Stalling's choice of music for Butch's saunter, and the slightly higher pitched one for his son) and how to beat up a cat are wonderful--not to mention rather cute because of his son's eagerness to learn. (A refreshing change from the son who'd rather rebel or befriend his enemy)
The bits with a surprisingly mute Sylvester are hillarious, as the son immediately realizes that Sylvester is a cat and proceeds to attack him. It's great how Butch immediately comes to rescue his son each time, Sylvester attempts to do away with him.

I like the bit where Sylvester is forced to walk around with Butch's son chewing on his tail.:D I also love the infamous fetch the stick amongst heavy traffic scene.

That ending is a riot.
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

CueBallCat79

Postby CueBallCat79 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:45 am

Not sure if I've ever seen this one. But it sounds a lot like the Spike and Tyke Tom and Jerry cartoons Hanna and Barbera were doing at MGM.

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:49 am

CueBallCat79 wrote:Not sure if I've ever seen this one. But it sounds a lot like the Spike and Tyke Tom and Jerry cartoons Hanna and Barbera were doing at MGM.
It more or less is. Still entertaining, though. My favorite gag was Sylvester successfully retrieving the stick from the busy street... only to get run over by a scooter on the sidewalk. :p

Glowworm

Postby Glowworm » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:49 am

CueBallCat79 wrote:Not sure if I've ever seen this one. But it sounds a lot like the Spike and Tyke Tom and Jerry cartoons Hanna and Barbera were doing at MGM.

I suggest you take a peek at it. It's quite good. Yes, it dawned on me that it was like Spike and Tyke--however, Butch K Bulldog DOES NOT talk. No words are needed to convey his hatred for Sylvester.

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:05 pm

I saw this cartoon on 'The Bugs Bunny/Road-Runner Hour' and hated it. I didn't think it was fair that Sylvester had to suffer by virtue of simply being a cat. He's not really the antagonist in this cartoon; rather he's being harassed by an overbearing canine and his son.

Also, this is a blatant rip-off of an earlier Tom & Jerry short and it pales by comparison.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

J Lee

Postby J Lee » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:09 pm

Aside from the obvious T&J comparisons, this cartoon's kind of a companion piece to another short done by Friz just after the studio's reopening, "A Kiddie's Kitty", in that is both cartoons we get a pretty silent Sylvester not going after Tweety but pretty much getting the crap beaten out of him for something that's not his own doing.

Both cartoons are fun, but you're less sympathetic at the end for Sylvester's opponents in both cases, because for the most part, he's not doing things to set up his own defeat; he's more a victim of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
"Now who do I know who can write?"

-- Bluto (from "Seein Red, White N' Blue")

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:45 pm

This one sort of emphasizes how mechanical Gerry Chiniquy's animation became from the mid-50s on, since he animated the whole thing. It's stiff, bland, and not fun, especially when you place it alongside the animation of Virgil Ross and Art Davis (the other two Freleng mainstays). Even with that said, this is not one of Freleng's better cartoons.

Glowworm

Postby Glowworm » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:51 pm

Sometimes I wonder if the reason I like a cartoon is based mainly on nostalgia. Like I mentioned earlier, this cartoon was on a lot on Nickelodeon as a kid and I always enjoyed it back then. Truthfully, I still enjoy it.

Maybe this is a weak argument, but I don't know if Sylvester is entirely innocent in this cartoon. True, he happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time--but murdering a puppy who's simply following his dad's teachings isn't exactly the nicest solution to the problem.

Sylvester's far more sympathetic in " A Kiddie's Kitty" which I really don't like at all.

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:17 pm

J Lee wrote:Aside from the obvious T&J comparisons, this cartoon's kind of a companion piece to another short done by Friz just after the studio's reopening, "A Kiddie's Kitty", in that is both cartoons we get a pretty silent Sylvester not going after Tweety but pretty much getting the crap beaten out of him for something that's not his own doing.
Off-topic, but despite being a remake, I always preferred "A Waggily Tale" to "A Kiddie's Kitty". The context for the dog getting all sorts of bad luck was better, in that it was a dream designed to show Junior how much being a dog can suck and that he should treat his own dog better. (it had a much funnier ending, too) Whereas Sylvester getting mistreated by the girl in "A Kiddie's Kitty" was just, well, unpleasant, because we're supposed to laugh at Sylvester's misfortunes.

I suppose the same could be applied to "Pappy's Puppy", but at least in that short he was trying to get back at the dogs for tormenting him, despite that he never succeeded. The same can't be said for "A Kiddie's Kitty".
Both cartoons are fun, but you're less sympathetic at the end for Sylvester's opponents in both cases, because for the most part, he's not doing things to set up his own defeat; he's more a victim of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Could be worse; there could be a gallery of mice laughing at him, like in "Mexican Cat Dance". Man that was awful.

J Lee

Postby J Lee » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:15 pm

Speedy Boris wrote:Off-topic, but despite being a remake, I always preferred "A Waggily Tale" to "A Kiddie's Kitty". The context for the dog getting all sorts of bad luck was better, in that it was a dream designed to show Junior how much being a dog can suck and that he should treat his own dog better. (it had a much funnier ending, too) Whereas Sylvester getting mistreated by the girl in "A Kiddie's Kitty" was just, well, unpleasant, because we're supposed to laugh at Sylvester's misfortunes.

I suppose the same could be applied to "Pappy's Puppy", but at least in that short he was trying to get back at the dogs for tormenting him, despite that he never succeeded. The same can't be said for "A Kiddie's Kitty".
Could be worse; there could be a gallery of mice laughing at him, like in "Mexican Cat Dance". Man that was awful.

"A Waggly Tale" sets up Junior's abuse better by showing him mistreating the dog at the start of the cartoon. So everything that comes after that has been justified. In "A Pappy's Puppy", Sylvester does go after the baby bulldog, but only have he's been forced by dad to basically be the pup's chew toy, so the revenge attempts are kind of justified in a way Sylvester's attempts to get Tweety aren't.

And, yeah, "Mexican Cat Dance" is probably Freleng's worst-ever Warner Bros. cartoon. At least when Friz did "Gonzales Tamales", where Sylvester's again played for a sucker, there were some good gags that followed. Here, the only way the cartoon could have redeemed itself is if Friz had Sylvester eat all the annoying laughing mice in the audience, leaving Speedy to wonder where everyone went at the iris out.
"Now who do I know who can write?"

-- Bluto (from "Seein Red, White N' Blue")

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”