When did Sylvester get the name Sylvester?

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

larriva9/11

Postby larriva9/11 » Fri May 20, 2011 8:26 pm

I've always wondered how Sylvester got his voice; I can picture Mel Blanc theorizing about how, in "emulating" feline diction, he emphasized the "phhht" over the "meow" (other voice actors might have done vice versa)

oceansoul

Postby oceansoul » Sat May 21, 2011 12:04 pm

Brandon Panther wrote:Image

Well, this might be the result when I simply don't care what's going on in this forum. My bad. :o
One for the money,
Two for the show,
Three to get ready, and
Four to.... GERONIMO!

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Sat May 21, 2011 9:30 pm

larriva9/11 wrote:I've always wondered how Sylvester got his voice; I can picture Mel Blanc theorizing about how, in "emulating" feline diction, he emphasized the "phhht" over the "meow" (other voice actors might have done vice versa)

I can picture Mel Blanc therorising how he could make up a story, like the one he invented about how he "created" Porky's voice.

The fact is he played a guy on radio named Sylvester with the same voice, long before the Sylvester voice was used in cartoons. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out it was yet another radio reference Warners ripped off for its cartoons.

F. Fox

Bugsy-Kun

Postby Bugsy-Kun » Sat May 21, 2011 9:45 pm

Kinda strange that story about Sylvester's cat origins.

But i will be agree with Mr. Yowp and said it's a another creation taken from live-action radio references. I often thinkin Sylvester was a authentic Termite Terrace creation, but i'm wrong. :(

Daffyfan2004

Postby Daffyfan2004 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:42 pm

I sort of wondered about that too, since although "Scaredy Cat" was the first instance where the name was used for the cat, I would think it would have more likely been Freleng to give him that name rather than Jones. I'm not exactly sure why, but that's always the way I felt. Also, I guess they decided that they couldn't keep calling him Thomas because that name was taken by another cartoon cat. :tomcat:
Kim Possible: You may not rap, Wade, but you definitely rock!
----------------------------------------------
Ron: Wade, if this supergenius thing doesn't work out for you, you'd make a bon-diggity travel agent.
Wade: Nah, I'd have to leave my room.
-------------------------------------------
:befuddled Oooooh, this diwectow is starting to wub me the wong way!

Eric B

Postby Eric B » Mon May 23, 2011 9:01 pm

Fibber Fox wrote:A load of Grade-A crap.

Sylvester was a character played by Mel Blanc on The Judy Canova Show. He used the same voice as the later Warners cat. Here's an episode from Aug. 24, 1943. Cue in about 5 1/2 minutes in and listen for yourself.

http://www.otr.net/r/jdyc/1.ram

"Beats me where they get this guff": Sylvester the Cat.

F. Fox
http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com
Wow, never heard that story before. The books all make it sound like Pierce just named him out of the blue because the name began with "S".

Mario500

Postby Mario500 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:09 am

Eric B wrote:Wow, never heard that story before. The books all make it sound like Pierce just named him out of the blue because the name began with "S".

Were you referring to Tedd Pierce the story writer?

Eric B

Postby Eric B » Tue May 24, 2011 9:45 am

Yes, that's who's always credited as naming him.

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Tue May 24, 2011 10:26 pm

Eric B wrote:Wow, never heard that story before. The books all make it sound like Pierce just named him out of the blue because the name began with "S".

Hi, Eric. Nice to see you here.

Pierce, to the best of my knowledge, was never interviewed about the subject, so I don't know who books are using as their source material.

It's altogether possible Pierce named him but considering the umpteen radio comedy references in Warners cartoons, it certainly wasn't out of the blue.

F. Fox

Matt the Y

Postby Matt the Y » Tue May 24, 2011 11:36 pm

Fibber Fox wrote:Hi, Eric. Nice to see you here.

Pierce, to the best of my knowledge, was never interviewed about the subject, so I don't know who books are using as their source material.

It's altogether possible Pierce named him but considering the umpteen radio comedy references in Warners cartoons, it certainly wasn't out of the blue.

F. Fox

I was quoting "50 Years of Sylvester & Tweety" by Jerry Beck.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”