What is with all the hate on Terrytoons?

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:30 am

"Gypsy Life" is probably my all-time favorite Terrytoon.
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:38 am

belief it or not Mighty Mouse and Heckle and Jeckle were shown on TV in Iceland in late 1980's and early 1990's. :cool:
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:11 am

FleischerFan wrote:"Gypsy Life" is probably my all-time favorite Terrytoon.

Ah, yes... the first MM operetta. I completely forgot that one. I will say that I thought it deserved its Oscar-nomination. I think Bill Tytla worked on that one (I'm guessing he animated the bat characters); did Carlo Vinci animate the gypsy girl dance scene?
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Lee Glover

Postby Lee Glover » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:56 am

WoodpeckerWoody wrote:belief it or not Mighty Mouse and Heckle and Jeckle were shown on TV in Iceland in late 1980's and early 1990's. :cool:

The Terrytoons were shown on the UK's Channel 4 network throughout the mid-90s, often as a schedule filler (usually every weekday 5:50pm, after Ricki Lake). However, during one summer, the cartoons were shown in a half-hour weekday morning slot. :mighty::gandy:
:fox: Watch out for a crow wearing a derby! :fox:

This Blog's A Load Of CARTOONS! - Update: TV Comic - Six Of The Best: Christmas Cartoons :bugs2::daffy::tweety::sylvester:ysam::tomcat: :jerry::bbear:

Bannedcartoonfan

Postby Bannedcartoonfan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:04 am

One reason people might not like them so much is because a lot of the TV prints have certain scenes randomly cut out, making Terry's editing look a lot sloppier them it really is(not to mention some of the scenes they cut are pretty funny too.)

Studio Toledo

Postby Studio Toledo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:33 am

J Lee wrote:Not so much "marathoning" as just your normal 30 or 60-minute blocks of cartoons you'd get five or even six days a week when I was growing up. You'd get a show with three or six Warner cartoons, or one with that many MGMs, or Lantz, or Fleischer/Famous, or Terrytoons.

This is how it always was!
- Christopher M. Sobieniak

"Listen, I don't want to interrupt your story, but is this a joke you're gonna tell me about a minority group, and after you tell it we're all gonna laugh and feel superior?"
(from "Norman Normal," 1968)

Welcome to the P.B.S.

Studio Toledo

Postby Studio Toledo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:35 am

Bannedcartoonfan wrote:One reason people might not like them so much is because a lot of the TV prints have certain scenes randomly cut out, making Terry's editing look a lot sloppier them it really is(not to mention some of the scenes they cut are pretty funny too.)

I remember an edit in "The Talking Magpies" I only ever saw in PD prints that otherwise appeared to get removed from the regular CBS/Viacom TV copies that were released on video back in the 80's, but yeah, it was random.
- Christopher M. Sobieniak

"Listen, I don't want to interrupt your story, but is this a joke you're gonna tell me about a minority group, and after you tell it we're all gonna laugh and feel superior?"

(from "Norman Normal," 1968)

Welcome to the P.B.S.

Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:05 am

FleischerFan wrote:I have always felt that there is a top tier of animation studios. These would include: Disney, Fleischer, Warner, and M-G-M. Then, there is a second tier that would include Famous and Lantz.

And then, that'd be only certain kinds of Fleischer; namely pre-Code, Popeye, Superman, and certain Color Classics (namely the darker ones like Dancing on the Moon and Cobweb Hotel). The rest would go on the final tier.

But, yeah; a studio as tight-wadded and hidebound as Terry isn't going to look stellar coming off the heels of Disney, Warner and MGM-era Hanna-Barbera and Avery, the Creme de la Creme of animation, period.
"The Fudd of Intellect will never capture the Wabbit of true Vision"- Rafi Zabor, Introduction to the Book of Leviathan :bugs2: :befuddled

-Kevin M

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:36 am

Leviathan wrote:And then, that'd be only certain kinds of Fleischer; namely pre-Code, Popeye, Superman, and certain Color Classics (namely the darker ones like Dancing on the Moon and Cobweb Hotel). The rest would go on the final tier.
Careful there...you do notice my username. :rolleyes:

Actually, I am quite fond of a good deal of the Fleischer output - dating back to the silent era where the Ko-Ko cartoons remain among the best from that time period.

While the Fleischers had their share of duds, so too, did Disney & Warners. In their heydey - the 1930's - the Fleischer Studio was the only serious competition for Disney. Warners and M-G-M did not really come into their own until after the Fleischers had lost their studio.

The Popeye series remains my favorite from the 1930's - and was more popular with theatergoers than Mickey Mouse back in the day. Add to that the invention of the rotoscope, the bouncing ball, the Betty Boop series (which still had its high points even after the code), the Superman series, and the fact that the Fleischers were able to mount two animated features in the Golden Age.

No question, for me, that they belong in the top tier.:betty::sailor:
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

oceansoul

Postby oceansoul » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:51 pm

tristar wrote:I haven't seen very many Terry-era shorts, and they've all ranged from mediocre to terrible, with the exception of a few. (THE POWER OF THOUGHT comes to mind specifically as being one of the better ones). Most of the time, they're fun time-wasters, except when Jim Tyer animates a scene, when they become essential viewing.

On the other hand, I have never seen a bad Deitch-era short; every single one I've seen was either okay or fantastic.

"Power of the Thought" feels dull for most of the time, and it's also a wasted opportunity to deliver something special.

Terrytoons was indeed the bottom of the barrel. Even Paul J Smith Woody Woodpeckers look "good" compared to their output.
One for the money,
Two for the show,
Three to get ready, and
Four to.... GERONIMO!

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”