The Way the Flinstones originally aired

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Cartoonfanatic201

The Way the Flinstones originally aired

Postby Cartoonfanatic201 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:50 pm

I don't know if this interest's you guys or not but I found a interesting video on Youtube of the Flintstones original opening/closings (it includes the original integrated commercials and laugh track at the end)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvt8skgm2l8

this is the way the Flin stones originally aired on TV. Unfortunately, this hasn't been restored yet on to DVD or what not.

R. Araya

Postby R. Araya » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:57 pm

I remember watching the commercial and the closing on YouTube once,but I never saw that opening with the sponsor tag before.
The Golden Age Cartoon Forums: It's Been a Long, Long Time.

Tim Lones

Postby Tim Lones » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:11 am

Cartoonfanatic201 wrote:I don't know if this interest's you guys or not but I found a interesting video on Youtube of the Flintstones original opening/closings (it includes the original integrated commercials and laugh track at the end)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvt8skgm2l8

this is the way the Flin stones originally aired on TV. Unfortunately, this hasn't been restored yet on to DVD or what not.

Not likely to be restored, either since the whole original series is out on DVD..I love seeing old tv with original commercials, though..like a time machine..

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:02 am

Can anyone identify which season and episode the closing credits are from? I was watching them carefully and noticed the following:

1. In the voice credits, neither Mel Blanc nor Bea Benederet are listed. Was this a rare episode in which Barney and Betty Rubble didn't appear?

2. Writing credit for this particular episode goes to "Larry Markes". Could this be a pseudonym for "Laurence Marks", who was a regular writer on "Hogan's Heroes" and an occasional writer during the first four seasons of M*A*S*H? There's no mention of Warren Foster or Michael Maltese, however... could they have already left the show by then? What was the system that H-B used, with regard to which writers were assigned to work on which episodes?

Was Winston Cigarettes the very first sponsor for "The Flintstones", or did they alternate with Bristol-Myers? I have the First Season DVD set and every episode on there has Bristol-Myers ("Alka-Seltzer" and "One-a-Day Vitamins") as the sponsor. Then again, it looks like the same opening and closing credits sequences were tacked on to every episode for the DVD set.

I think at one point, Welches Grape Juice became the sponsor during the season (Season 3?) where Wilma becomes pregnant.

N.B. Sorry, "One-a-Day Vitamins" and "Alka-Seltzer" were produced by "Miles Laboratories" and not "Bristol-Myers"
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Cartoonfanatic201

Postby Cartoonfanatic201 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:16 pm

zavkram wrote:Can anyone identify which season and episode the closing credits are from? I was watching them carefully and noticed the following:

1. In the voice credits, neither Mel Blanc nor Bea Benederet are listed. Was this a rare episode in which Barney and Betty Rubble didn't appear?

2. Writing credit for this particular episode goes to "Larry Markes". Could this be a pseudonym for "Laurence Marks", who was a regular writer on "Hogan's Heroes" and an occasional writer during the first four seasons of M*A*S*H? There's no mention of Warren Foster or Michael Maltese, however... could they have already left the show by then? What was the system that H-B used, with regard to which writers were assigned to work on which episodes?

Was Winston Cigarettes the very first sponsor for "The Flintstones", or did they alternate with Bristol-Myers? I have the First Season DVD set and every episode on there has Bristol-Myers ("Alka-Seltzer" and "One-a-Day Vitamins") as the sponsor. Then again, it looks like the same opening and closing credits sequences were tacked on to every episode for the DVD set.

I think at one point, Welches Grape Juice became the sponsor during the season (Season 3?) where Wilma becomes pregnant.

Winston Cigarettes was the sponsor for the first two seasons of the show, but then Welches became the prominent sponsor in the third season(the season Pebbles was born). When the series was redrawn or colorized for it's future reruns, they took some names out of the credits and added people in that didn't originally get credit similar to what MGM did when they reissued there cartoons. on and BTW, those opening and closings are from either the First or Second Season.

Mark J

Postby Mark J » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:17 pm

According to the Flintstones episode guide here http://www.topthat.net/webrock/episode.htm Larry Markes wrote six episodes in season 2, none in season 1, so that narrows it down. Maltese is only credited with three episodes in season 1, none after that and Foster was still writing in season 2, although a lot less than in season 1.

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:32 pm

zavkram wrote:2. Writing credit for this particular episode goes to "Larry Markes". Could this be a pseudonym for "Laurence Marks", who was a regular writer on "Hogan's Heroes" and an occasional writer during the first four seasons of M*A*S*H?

I don't know why he'd want a pseudonym. He wrote as Larry Markes for Gleason, which is the reason H-B hired him to begin with (he and Harvey Bullock were acquainted). He ended up doing some Love Boats.

F. Fox
http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com

Bobby Bickert

Postby Bobby Bickert » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:12 pm

zavkram wrote:1. In the voice credits, neither Mel Blanc nor Bea Benederet are listed. Was this a rare episode in which Barney and Betty Rubble didn't appear?

Maybe this was one of the episodes with Daws doing Barney's voice because of Mel's car accident?

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:22 am

This is excerpted from the FAQ's on the linked page above:

"...And although this release of episodes is indeed colorized as we've become so accustomed to, WB has restored the original opening and closing credits and music as well as portions of the original laugh-track."

I always thought that the series was filmed in color from the very start, but that it wasn't broadcast in color until 1964.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:20 am

zavkram wrote:This is excerpted from the FAQ's on the linked page above:

"...And although this release of episodes is indeed colorized as we've become so accustomed to, WB has restored the original opening and closing credits and music as well as portions of the original laugh-track."

I always thought that the series was filmed in color from the very start, but that it wasn't broadcast in color until 1964.

That's correct. And the FAQ is also wrong that WB restored the original closing credits. Daws B. Jr. has spoken about the re-creation of the end credits here on GAC. He was involved in it, so he should know.

The end credits in the link are from 'This is Your Lifesaver'. Interesting the sole animation credit is to John Boersma. I would have guessed Ken Muse worked on part of it.

F. Fox
http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”