Cartoon Discussion of the week (7/31/11) The Cat Came Back (1988)

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

cbrubaker

Postby cbrubaker » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:11 pm

A very funny cartoon. I used to see it all the time when Cartoon Network had a half-hour compilation of NFB cartoons called "O Canada".
My Blog - Has some stuff
Terrytoons 1957-71 filmography - new credits (updated 12-8-2010)

Glowworm

Postby Glowworm » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:43 pm

zavkram wrote:I think the first time I saw this was also on that PBS show. I agree, this is indeed a classic.

BTW, I found an even better-looking copy of this, with full "National Film Board of Canada" titles

Unfortunately, this version has a problem that doesn't appear until halfway through the cartoon, around 4 minutes in, after Mr. Johnson fails to get rid of the cat in the balloon, there's a totally different audio version of the song--and it plays through the rest of the short regardless. It's obvious because there are a bunch of little kids singing the refrain.
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:24 am

Glowworm wrote:Unfortunately, this version has a problem that doesn't appear until halfway through the cartoon, around 4 minutes in, after Mr. Johnson fails to get rid of the cat in the balloon, there's a totally different audio version of the song--and it plays through the rest of the short regardless. It's obvious because there are a bunch of little kids singing the refrain.

My apologies... I had inadvertently copied the wrong link. The copy I had originally found was a bit better quality and was undubbed... but just now I found this even better hi-def copy.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Lee Glover

Postby Lee Glover » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:54 am

Here's a UK commercial based on that very funny cartoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxxvkQAr-7s
:fox: Watch out for a crow wearing a derby! :fox:

This Blog's A Load Of CARTOONS! - Update: TV Comic - Six Of The Best: Christmas Cartoons :bugs2::daffy::tweety::sylvester:ysam::tomcat: :jerry::bbear:

Ben-the-looney

Postby Ben-the-looney » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:45 pm

Just got done watching it for the first time. And, it is a great cartoon. I love the animation and the gags. Also, the cat is adorable.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”