Cartoon Discussion of the week (7/31/11) The Cat Came Back (1988)

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Glowworm

Cartoon Discussion of the week (7/31/11) The Cat Came Back (1988)

Postby Glowworm » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:00 am

And now for something completely different.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bETCusT5kNM
The reason I put down 1988, is because there's a Friz Freleng cartoon of the same name (totally different song though) and I don't want people to get confused.

This is a more modern cartoon yet a classic all the same, based on an old folk song of the same name. I actually first saw it on the Acme Hour on Cartoon Network as a child(Technically the beginning and the end due to briefly changing the channel )--and it was also included on Cartoon Networks 100 greatest cartoons--this one came in around the top 10 actually. (That's when I saw it in its entirety.)

I love the music, the rendition of the song is very catchy, it's been in my head for years. The best part is watching the cat completely wreck Mr.Johnson's home.--especially when the cat tears apart the entire couch. Strangely enough, I feel more sorry for the cat than Mr. Johnson--I think he deserved what he went through.

The cartoon gets funnier and funnier as Mr. Johnson goes insane trying to get rid of the unwanted feline. I especially like the bit where all those women are tied to the railroad tracks--and for some reason, there's also a cow--and Mr. Johnson almost swears.

The ending is classic!
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

Paulie J. Waddle

Postby Paulie J. Waddle » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:12 am

Ha! I recently bought the 50 Greatest Cartoons book and as soon as I saw the description for The Cat Came Back, I just had to watch it! That sort of cartoon scared the heck out of me when I was younger!
Take that, Phineas and Ferb Wiki!

Zartok-35

Postby Zartok-35 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:15 am

Ah, a Canadian classic, from the heart of what I'd call Canada's golden age of animation. Cordell Barker is awesome, with a signature style!
You've gotta change with the changes.
http://blabbingonartsandculture.blogspot.com/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Glowworm

Postby Glowworm » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:28 am

Paulie J. Waddle wrote:Ha! I recently bought the 50 Greatest Cartoons book and as soon as I saw the description for The Cat Came Back, I just had to watch it! That sort of cartoon scared the heck out of me when I was younger!

Yeah, me too! Yet the song was so catchy.
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

looneytooney

Postby looneytooney » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:56 am

I first saw this in an animation class in sophomore year, along with other great Canadian shorts like The Big Snit and Special Delivery.

cartoonfan4ever

Postby cartoonfan4ever » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:47 pm

Excellent cartoon. The music is great and there are some great gags. It's funny that the whole reason Mr. Johnson hated the cat was because he swiped Johnson's old baby rattle out of his hands and it broke.

tristar

Postby tristar » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:34 pm

This has got to be one of my favourite NFB cartoons! The heavy influence from classic animation is apparent, and it's always fun to hear that Quebecois folk tune. :D

J. J. Hunsecker

Postby J. J. Hunsecker » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:48 pm

I don't have much to add, except to say this is an excellent cartoon. I love the Clampett-inspired animation, and the cartoon is really funny.
"I'd hate to take a bite outta you. You're a cookie full of arsenic."

frizfrelengfan

Postby frizfrelengfan » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:25 pm

I first saw this on an anthology program on PBS called International Animation Festival. Then I didn't see it for years until it showed up on YouTube. The show often showed films made in Zagreb (Yugoslavia at the time), but they also showed films made by the National Film Board of Canada. It was hosted by British actress Jean Marsh.

I agree with everyone here. This cartoon is hysterically funny.
[size=84] Time Lord Technology = Bigger on the Inside
[/SIZE]

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:59 pm

I think the first time I saw this was also on that PBS show. I agree, this is indeed a classic.

BTW, I found a hi-def copy of this, with full "National Film Board of Canada" titles
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”