Leon Schlesinger's obit

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

tristar

Leon Schlesinger's obit

Postby tristar » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:19 am

It's amazing what you can find with Google News.
From The Spokane Daily Chronicle. (Dec 26, 1949)
Aside from the jarring factual errors, this truly is fascinating.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

King Delbert

Postby King Delbert » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:07 am

Umm... something isn't showing up.
"I've got the balls to say what your thinking!"

tristar

Postby tristar » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:19 am

King Delbert wrote:Umm... something isn't showing up.
Sorry, is it working now?

King Delbert

Postby King Delbert » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:35 pm

tristar wrote:Sorry, is it working now?

Yes it is, thanks. Very interesting. We've found out more about the people at Termite Terrace since then
"I've got the balls to say what your thinking!"

Do-Do

Postby Do-Do » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:49 am

"The first use of human characters in cartoons"? I think Col. Heeza Liar and Farmer Al Falfa might take exception to that.

Vdubdavid

Postby Vdubdavid » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:46 pm

Do-Do wrote:"The first use of human characters in cartoons"? I think Col. Heeza Liar and Farmer Al Falfa might take exception to that.

I wonder if that line was actually meant to reference 'You Ought to Be in Pictures'. Still doesn't make it accurate though...

J Lee

Postby J Lee » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:04 pm

Vdubdavid wrote:I wonder if that line was actually meant to reference 'You Ought to Be in Pictures'. Still doesn't make it accurate though...

My guess is they meant the first human characters in sound cartoons, referring to Bosko in 1930, though it's still pretty debatable whether or not that claim would be accurate.
"Now who do I know who can write?"

-- Bluto (from "Seein Red, White N' Blue")

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:30 am

tristar wrote:It's amazing what you can find with Google News.

Well done, TS. I thought I'd posted it amongst other clippings here but it must have been somewhere else.

Anyway, here are a few more. The one on the left is from Boxoffice. The third one is from the Mattoon, Ill. paper. That's where Ray Katz and his family were from.

Somewhere, I had a story about Leon's will. Berenice got something like just under a million dollars.

[ATTACH]4534[/ATTACH]

F. Fox
http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:22 am

Funny articles Leon acting like Disney i.e taking credit for everything. I assume Fred Qumbly did al the work on Tom and Jerry.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:42 pm

WoodpeckerWoody wrote:Funny articles Leon acting like Disney i.e taking credit for everything. I assume Fred Qumbly did al the work on Tom and Jerry.

I've got Quimby's obit somewhere (I posted it on FB awhile ago). There's one newspaper reviewer who gave him credit for the drawing on Invitation to the Dance. Apparently Mike Lah never existed.

Of course, Quimby "signed" all the Tom and Jerry newspaper strips, just like Leon "signed" the Bugs strips, up to his death, I guess. I saw a January 1949 Sunday Bugs cartoon which says "By Leon Schlesinger" almost five years after he sold the studio.

F. Fox
http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”