LT Super Stars Road Runner DVD available NOW at Walmart

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Boy Wonder

Postby Boy Wonder » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:42 pm

I saw the set amongst a big LT setup at my Wal-Mart, complete with a volume set of Looney Tunes Show, some Spotlight Collections, and the LT movies from the 80s. The disc unfortunately looks to have mostly garbage LT's, and thus the $15 I saved was used for a haircut to get me ready for my sis' wedding next week.
:ysam:Open the bridge varmint, open it I say....

CLOSE IT CLOSE IT, CLOSE IT UP AGAIN....:ysam:

Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:47 pm

Not to put a damper on things, but considering how strict the studios and retailers are about breaking street date, the fact that Warner is sending out copies of this unannounced more than a month before its official release is almost like saying "we don't care about this DVD"
"The Fudd of Intellect will never capture the Wabbit of true Vision"- Rafi Zabor, Introduction to the Book of Leviathan :bugs2: :befuddled

-Kevin M

speedy fast

Postby speedy fast » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:59 pm

Cartoon King wrote:The boomerang gag is used in the ending of the Chuck Jones short "Zoom at the Top".:beepbeep:

Wow, I must really be misremembering things. I recall seeing the scene from "Zoom at the Top" where Wile E. says "Ouch" once in 1992 or 1993, and then not again until at least 1999 (a few years after I learned which cartoon that was), and yet I feel like I saw the ending often. I don't know if maybe I saw the cartoon without the ending most times, or if the ending left such a bigger impression on me then Coyote's one word that I felt I saw it often, or what.

But I think I know what made me think that gag was in Out and Out Rout. Both shorts end with gags involving glue. I remember around 1997-1999 reading a description of Out and Out Rout which mentioned the glue gag, and thought that was the other cartoon.

MarkTheShark

Postby MarkTheShark » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:34 pm

I picked it up. What a bizarre DVD. As nutso as it sounded from reading about it these past months, it's even weirder watching it. The first few things on it aren't even legit Warner Bros. cartoons. (Well, that may be arguable, but still -- why would they want to lead off with these bizarro world computer-animated shorts?) Then there are a few more recently-produced traditional animated shorts, if I'm not mistaken, all of which have already been on DVD. Then nine of the "Larriva Eleven." Now, that makes no sense at all, but then why should it? Why NINE of them following all that filler? I know the Larrivas are supposed to be the worst of the Road Runners, but I'm glad to have them anyway for collector reasons -- besides, I remember them from Saturday mornings in my early youth when I didn't know one Road Runner from another. But I sure hope when they do their supposed BluRay release of the Censored Eleven they don't turn it into the "Censored Nine.":p My guess is the two holdouts are being saved for a future volume along with some decent Chuck Jones Road Runners. But seriously, I know their target audience for these DVDs is kids and soccer moms but I imagine anyone who buys this "cold" on impulse and throws it into their DVD player will be thinking "what is this junk, this isn't the Road Runner I remember." I can't even believe this playlist got "green-lit" or whatever. But anyway, I'm glad to have nine of the eleven, anyway.

bj_wanlund

Postby bj_wanlund » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:43 am

I picked up the RR & Coyote DVD myself at my local Wal-Mart tonight (they had a BIG cardboard end cap display with big "The Looney Tunes Show" logos and artwork on the sides & front with these on them), and I told the associate that they weren't supposed to be out on shelves till October and she basically gave me an "Oh, really?" like Wal-Mart employees sometimes do. I think she was sort of surprised when I told her, so I think that they'll be removed the next time I go to that Wal-Mart.

They also had the Daffy Duck one for $10, and I was like "for $10, what the hey". I'll dive into them (and give my own thoughts, since I have a personal policy not to talk about stuff unless I've personally seen or played with something myself) after I get me some much-needed shuteye.

BJ

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:59 am

bj_wanlund wrote:I picked up the RR & Coyote DVD myself at my local Wal-Mart tonight (they had a BIG cardboard end cap display with big "The Looney Tunes Show" logos and artwork on the sides & front with these on them), and I told the associate that they weren't supposed to be out on shelves till October and she basically gave me an "Oh, really?" like Wal-Mart employees sometimes do. I think she was sort of surprised when I told her, so I think that they'll be removed the next time I go to that Wal-Mart.

It's not uncommon for studios to give a retailer an exclusive window on a title before it gets a wide release (WHV did it recently with Walmart with the Blu-Ray of Happiness is a Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown, for example). I would guess this is what happened here since WB and Walmart are currently running a promotion to hype The Looney Tunes Show. Since the RR disc (and the LT Show, Vol. 1 DVD which doesn't have a street date until late September) are showing up at ALL stores, this is not an error at all.

bj_wanlund

Postby bj_wanlund » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:05 pm

That makes a TON more sense, thanks Jon.

As far as my thoughts on the RR & Coyote DVD, actually the cartoons I hated the most on the DVDs were Little Go Beep (What did I just watch? That cartoon came close to making me retch violently! Sorry Earl, but that cartoon is a giant pile of dog mess), Shot & Bothered (only cause it repeated several gags and made things kinda hard to watch), Chaser On The Rocks (one of the worst cartoons on this set; too many mirage gags and too many gags involving water), Boulder Wham! (which was just plain awful), and Hairied and Hurried (that one was so strange. Apparently Larriva's unit ran out of ideas, animations, AND semi-original gags which hadn't been done before, up to and including the pipe system gags...).

However, the best shorts on this DVD were all three CG RR & Coyote shorts, Chariots of Fur (the lone Chuck Jones RR cartoon on this DVD), Sugar and Spies (awesome cartoon), Clippety Clobbered (really good), and The Solid Tin Coyote (that was actually fairly original! I wonder what budget Larriva's unit had on these cartoons, and whether they blew their budget on the cartoons I just mentioned).

Overall, if you want the CG RR cartoons (which are seriously amazing), Chariots of Fur. and Sugar and Spies, this set is for you. I'll overlook the really bad ones (*cough* Little Go Beep *cough*), and I'll go out on a limb and say that the CG RRs, Chariots of Fur, Sugar and Spies, and The Solid Tin Coyote are all worth the $15 pricetag.

(You understand now why I didn't want to say anything on these till I got them? I actually feel like I got a great value here.)

On the other hand, I got the Daffy Duck one for $10 from the same cardboard endcap, and I don't even think it's worth that much. I'd so much rather see it in the $5 bin... Finally owning a halfway decent copy of Nasty Quacks isn't even remotely worth $10...

BJ

Toonatic

Postby Toonatic » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:30 pm

I got my copy (as well as The Looney Tunes Show S1 V1) at Wal-mart in White Plains, NY. Afterwards canceled my pre-orders for those 2 at Amazon. Now here's what else you need to know about the RR DVD:

-Contains the original widescreen version of Whizzard Of Ow
-For the Widescreen Version, the 2010 CGI shorts are presented in their original 2.35:1 widescreen ratios while the Full Screen Version presents them cropped (Suprised. I was thinking they stay at the 2.35:1 ratio automatically for DVD.)
-In another suprise, the menu(s) is the same one for it's UK counterpart (Tsk, tsk, tsk)

LooneyTunerIan

Might do something about this

Postby LooneyTunerIan » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:42 pm

You know what I'm gonna do...

I'm gonna make my own LTSS DVD project.

I'm going to make my own Road Runner Super Stars DVD entitled "A Heap of Beep", and this time, it'll contain the rest of the unreleased Road Runner shorts... with the exception of "Hare-Breadth Hurry".

But I may need some help with fonts, graphics and of course, trying to find the Road Runner shorts that doesn't contain the watermark logos.

I'll do it sometime this fall, if anyone is willing to help out.

Philo & Gunge

Postby Philo & Gunge » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:50 pm

Toonatic wrote:I got my copy (as well as The Looney Tunes Show S1 V1) at Wal-mart in White Plains, NY. Afterwards canceled my pre-orders for those 2 at Amazon. Now here's what else you need to know about the RR DVD:

I'll have to go by there! I live 10 minutes away from that Wal-Mart. :daffy:
The Trash Heap has spoken NYAHHH!!!
www.akiyoshishimizu.com

TTTP Member from March 2004-November 2011, proud from beginning to end.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”