LT Super Stars Road Runner DVD available NOW at Walmart

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Cartoon King

Postby Cartoon King » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:15 pm

Found this today. They have a trailer for the blu-ray set on there. I'm watching this and see clips for "One More Time" "Chow Hound" a goofy gophers cartoon and more. At the end was a disclaimer saying "Not all cartoons featured in this trailer are on the blu-ray set".:rolleyes: If only Wal-Mart would sell the blu-rays early.:bugs2:

LooneyTunerIan

Postby LooneyTunerIan » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:45 pm

We may never see the remaining Chuck Jones Road Runner cartoons on a future DVD. :/

Toonatic

Postby Toonatic » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:08 pm

Jon, could you post a widescreen and full screen comparison of Whizzard Of Ow from the DVD? I just wanna see for myself.

speedy fast

Postby speedy fast » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:16 pm

Cartoon King wrote:Found this today. They have a trailer for the blu-ray set on there. I'm watching this and see clips for "One More Time" "Chow Hound" a goofy gophers cartoon and more. At the end was a disclaimer saying "Not all cartoons featured in this trailer are on the blu-ray set".:rolleyes: If only Wal-Mart would sell the blu-rays early.:bugs2:

At first I thought it was actually a trailer for Golden Collection Vol. 6. Pretty much all of the clips in that trailer are from cartoons form that set (including Herr Meets Hare and a couple of black and white Merrie Melodies). Though the trailer does include clips from a few cartoons on the Platinum Collection that aren't on the sixth Golden Collection (Duck Dogers is the only one I can think of off-hand).

I enjoyed watching the DVD (though I haven't watched all of the cartoons on the set). The three CG cartoons are great, though I feel Wile E. Coyote has too much fur texture. These feel like they are as long as the Road Runner segments on The Looney Tunes Show, and I feel like these should have just been included as bonus toons (I know, the Super Stars releases don't have bonus toons). Considering these are put at the beginning (along with the other post-1967 Road Runner shorts), it's a wonder the packaging didn't promote these in any way (the description doesn't mention CGI shorts, there's no images from them on the back. etc.)

For the last 13 years I thought that Out and Out Rout was the cartoon that ended with Wile E. Coyote getting his hand glued to a boomerang (and then getting a hand glued to his head). But watching this, it's clearly not (unless they actually edited an ending, but I'm sure they didn't). I wonder if I'm at least right about that one being a Rudy Larriva cartoon.

I feel the restoration job on the 1965-1967 shorts were good. Maybe that's not saying much, though. One thing I noticed when watching these is that the Road Runner seems to be a bit more aggressive than in the Chuck Jones shorts, outsmarting Wile E. in more ways than just shouting "BEEP BEEP!" And I've noticed a few instances where Road Runner seems to actually show fear.

There's one short, can't remember if it's Highway Runnery or Harried and Hurried, which begins with Wile E. making a snow machine. Maybe the animation isn't that good, but I actually like the look of the snow in this scene, and I don't remember that gag as a child. In fact there's quite a few gags that I didn't remember, but have rang a bell upon seeing (and some things I had forgotten about but could see coming... Either I'm quickly remembering things I forgot, or the gags were really predictable).

I wonder why that final gag in Chasers on the Rocks was there. It doesn't really have anything to do with the rest of the cartoon. I know that the outline mentioned it ending with the Road Runner shooting Wile E. into the sun, which would have been more fitting... I wonder if it was a time thing, because the water hose gag before that would have been a better way to close that short.

Warner Bros. may not have been willing to spend whatever money was needed to restore the Chuck Jones shorts (besides Chariots of Fur, though I wonder if that and the other "recent" shorts were restored the same way as the classics were), but considering the Pepe le Pew DVD will contain pre-1953 shorts, here's hoping Warner will put whatever money is needed and restore/release all of the remaining Road Runner shorts on DVD. I always thought the various Road Runner releases of the past should have mixed the Jones and Larriva shorts, but maybe it was best to only inlclude the post-1964 shorts here, so fans wouldn't make unfavorable comparisons.

jlppr

Postby jlppr » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:48 pm

i'm so far behing these sets that it'll be a while before i get this one or the pepe set. i honestly still have vol 5&6 of the golden collections to buy. i'm ashamed to admit as these are some of the best out there.

Blob55

Postby Blob55 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:34 am

Toonatic wrote:Jon, could you post a widescreen and full screen comparison of Whizzard Of Ow from the DVD? I just wanna see for myself.

I have the Full Screen version.

speedy fast

Postby speedy fast » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:35 am

Blob55 wrote:
And no, Jon doesn't list DVD releases outside of america.

His page does include the japanese "I Love Tweety" releases. And outside of DVD, it lists japanese laserdiscs and all the volumes of The Looney Tunes Video Show (including non-US).

raginggoodfella

LT SS DISCS_Amazon lowered the prices

Postby raginggoodfella » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:44 am

The price for BUGS, DAFFY and Tweey sets on Amazon.com is about $7-$8

Cartoon King

Postby Cartoon King » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:18 pm

speedy fast wrote:For the last 13 years I thought that Out and Out Rout was the cartoon that ended with Wile E. Coyote getting his hand glued to a boomerang (and then getting a hand glued to his head). But watching this, it's clearly not (unless they actually edited an ending, but I'm sure they didn't). I wonder if I'm at least right about that one being a Rudy Larriva cartoon.

The boomerang gag is used in the ending of the Chuck Jones short "Zoom at the Top".:beepbeep:

LooneyTunerIan

Postby LooneyTunerIan » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:44 pm

That's how Zoom at the Top ends, but you're not gonna see that cartoon on this Road Runner DVD Set.

Blame it on the people at WBHV.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”