MGM cartoons Availabe on DVD

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Cartoonfanatic201

MGM cartoons Availabe on DVD

Postby Cartoonfanatic201 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:37 pm

I decided to Follow up with someone's post on the official list of LT/MM cartoons on an official list of All MGM cartoons available on DVD, i'll start it up.

Most T&J cartoons are on DVD with the exceptions of Mouse Cleaning and Casanova Cat.

Little Johnny Jet and The Blitz Wolf are both on the AA collection. fully restored, I believe.

The Early Bird Dood It is available on DVD as a special feature on the Girl Crazy DVD.

can anyone else name another one? I certainly couldn't.

P.S. Laser discs and PD DVDs DO NOT count.

Philo & Gunge

Postby Philo & Gunge » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:10 pm

All the Droopy cartoons were released in their box set four years ago.
The Trash Heap has spoken NYAHHH!!!
www.akiyoshishimizu.com

TTTP Member from March 2004-November 2011, proud from beginning to end.

Gasmask Ted

Postby Gasmask Ted » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:51 pm

You're about 4 years too late.

http://forums.goldenagecartoons.com/showthread.php?t=10496

Also, almost none of the Deitch T&Js are out.

jlppr

Postby jlppr » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:08 pm

good will to men and peace on earth are also on the academy award set. there may others as well there

David Gerstein

Postby David Gerstein » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:21 pm

Jlppr, see Ted above.
Ramapith: David Gerstein's Prehistoric Pop Culture Blog
Virtual Inkwell | The Classic Felix the Cat Page | Cartoon Pop Music
Van Beuren's Tom and Jerry | The Winkler Oswalds

"Politics is not left, right or center... it's about improving people's lives." —Paul Wellstone

Toonatic

Postby Toonatic » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:43 pm

Cartoonfanatic201 wrote:Most T&J cartoons are on DVD with the exceptions of Mouse Cleaning and Casanova Cat.

Including 12 of the 13 Gene Deitch shorts (The Tom and Jerry Cartoon Kit is available on the Tom and Jerry: Paws For The Holiday DVD)

Speaking of, Chuck Jones' The Dot and The Line is available on the AA collection as well and The Bear That Wasn't A Bear is available on the LTGC3.

And since I feel the DFE United Artists shorts should be part of the MGM Cartoon Canon (sounds stupid, I know), here's what you need to know:

-All 124 Pink Panther shorts are available on DVD (with the last 16 shorts available exclusively in the first Cartoon Collection, the 2009 re-release, and the Pink Panther Ultimate Collection

-All 17 Ant and Aardvark cartoons are available on DVD

-All 34 Inspector cartoons are available on DVD (the last 17 are only available the 2009 re-release Cartoon Collection, and the Pink Panther Ultimate Collection)

-All 17 Roland and Rattfink cartoons are available on DVD but only in the 2009 re-release Cartoon Collection and the Pink Panther Ultimate Collection.

That is all.

Steve Siegert

Postby Steve Siegert » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:05 pm

The list compiled by thebiach is the definitive list compiled so far for Region 1 MGM cartoon DVD releases. It is not complete as each cartoon released only lists the best available source.

I don't know how up-to-date the list is, but last I knew it did not reflect that "Who Killed Who?" is avaiable on the DVD release of "Presenting Lily Mars"
[color=black]
"If I had some bread, I'd make a sandwich...if I had a witch" - Popeye (Popeye the Sailor Meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves)
[/color]

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:42 am

Why was it necessary to start a new thread on this? You have added no new information that wasn't already recently posted to the original thread.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:58 am

Toonatic wrote:
And since I feel the DFE United Artists shorts should be part of the MGM Cartoon Canon (sounds stupid, I know), here's what you need to know:

-All 124 Pink Panther shorts are available on DVD (with the last 16 shorts available exclusively in the first Cartoon Collection, the 2009 re-release, and the Pink Panther Ultimate Collection

-All 17 Ant and Aardvark cartoons are available on DVD

-All 34 Inspector cartoons are available on DVD (the last 17 are only available the 2009 re-release Cartoon Collection, and the Pink Panther Ultimate Collection)

-All 17 Roland and Rattfink cartoons are available on DVD but only in the 2009 re-release Cartoon Collection and the Pink Panther Ultimate Collection.

That is all.

Maybe not "stupid" but completely erroneous...

The original thread deals with theatrical animated cartoon shorts that were produced either by Harman-Ising and distributed by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer to it's theater chain, Loews Incorporated; or that were produced by the MGM cartoon studio. Included would also be the Tom and Jerry cartoons that were produced independently by Gene Deitch and William S. Snyder and by Chuck Jones's SIB Tower 12 Productions.

In the case of Jones, I'm not sure whether or not such a DVD list should include the television specials based on the works of Ted Geisel/Dr. Seuss.

For that matter, I'm wondering if the list should include any of the "Flip the Frog" and "Willie Whopper" shorts that were produced by Ub Iwerks's studio and released (up until they dropped him) by MGM?

The DFE stuff should not be included in such a list; because, even though the films are now owned my MGM/UA, they were not originally distributed by MGM. At the time of their creation, both studios were completely separate entities and the films were actually released theatrically by UA.

There has already been a thread posted which discusses whether or not the DFE film library should be listed as MGM films or as UA films.

In my book, such lists should be compiled based upon who actually made and distributed the original properties; and not who owns them now...

For example... even though Warner Bros. now owns most of the entire MGM cartoon library (from 1934-1967), I still consider them to be MGM cartoons. I remember how I cringed when I saw the familiar Warner Bros sheild icon plastered over the opening credits to "The Karateguard". Legalities aside, it just didn't seem natural to not see Tanner the Lion roaring over those main-titles.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Bannedcartoonfan

Postby Bannedcartoonfan » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:08 pm

Actually ALL of the Tom and Jerry shorts are available on DVD(Deitch,Mouse Cleaning uncut,Casanova Cat uncut included) on Region 2 DVDs in Europe.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”