MGM cartoons Availabe on DVD

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:14 pm

The Deitch stuff is probably bootleg, since there has not yet been (to the best of my knowledge) an official release of those shorts.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Toonatic

Postby Toonatic » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:53 pm

zavkram wrote:The Deitch stuff is probably bootleg, since there has not yet been (to the best of my knowledge) an official release of those shorts.

Besides, I believe we're talking about the MGM shorts available on DVD in the US. But as I said The Tom and Jerry Cartoon Kit is (to this day) the only Gene Deitch short available on DVD via Tom and Jerry: Paws For The Holidays.

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:34 pm

Steve Siegert wrote:The list compiled by thebiach is the definitive list compiled so far for Region 1 MGM cartoon DVD releases. It is not complete as each cartoon released only lists the best available source.

I don't know how up-to-date the list is, but last I knew it did not reflect that "Who Killed Who?" is avaiable on the DVD release of "Presenting Lily Mars"

Why don't we make that sticky similar to Looney Tunes DVD/blu-ray thread. Maintain it in similar manner if Jon hasn't time maybe some one else can volunter to work on update that list. While we are at it why don't we do that also to other studios.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:35 pm

zavkram wrote:The Deitch stuff is probably bootleg, since there has not yet been (to the best of my knowledge) an official release of those shorts.

I do have an offical UK DVD of those cartoon released by Warner Bros.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

babybuggybunny

Postby babybuggybunny » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:45 am

Cartoonfanatic201 wrote:
Most T&J cartoons are on DVD with the exceptions of Mouse Cleaning and Casanova Cat.

The fact that these shorts are not on American DVD doesn't mean that they are not on DVD at all.
these shorts are on the UK Tom And Jerry DVD, not restored, however...

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:11 am

I stand corrected; I was unaware of the UK releases...

I agree that we should just sticky the original thread by Thebiach.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:51 am

WoodpeckerWoody wrote:Why don't we make that sticky similar to Looney Tunes DVD/blu-ray thread.
I have been advocating that position for some time now.
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:31 am

On that note: there seems to be a lot of redundancy with regard to new threads here in the forums. Newbies: if you want to start new discussion threads, fine; that's what these forums are here for... but please check first to see if one already exists for your particular topic. If you're not sure how to search for your topic, send a message to one of the admins or older members and ask.

If it's an old thread (more than a year-old), don't post to it unless you actually have something to add which will be of interest to all concerned; or something to add that reveals information not previously known or discussed.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”