3-D cartoons of the 50's

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Woody Woodpecker

3-D cartoons of the 50's

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:30 pm

Well Since Disney re-released Lion Kings in 3-D how many of you on here would love to see the 50's 3-Ds cartoons get re-release to theaters?

From Disney we have
Working For Peanuts (1953)
Melody (1953)

From Warner Bros we have:
Lumberjack Rabbit (1954)

From Famous Studio we have:
Popeye, The Ace Of Space (1953)
Boo Moon (1954)

From Walter Lantz we have:
Hypnotic Hick (1953)

Intresting that only 6 cartoons were released in 3-D in the 1950's :eek: At least from the main studios.
and the 3-D process has only be making a come back in the past few years. So this probably tell more than anything about the 3-D process.

Note1: MGM, UPA and Terrytoons did none 3-D cartoons. But all three produced cartoons in CinemaScope compared to Warner Bros, Famous Studio and Walter Lantz which produced none CinemaScope cartoons. Only Disney actually have produced cartoons both in 3-D and in CinemaScope.

Note2 : If Im forgetting a 3-D cartoon then please let me know.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

King Delbert

Postby King Delbert » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:49 pm

I only saw one of them in 3D, Working for Peanuts. Oh the joy to see these cartoons in 3D because I can tell that the effect will work. Unfortinatntly, I don't see it happening in the near future.
"I've got the balls to say what your thinking!"

Gasmask Ted

Postby Gasmask Ted » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:39 am

There was a showing of all of them 5 years ago:
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/old-brew/3-d-cartoons.html
And Working For Peanuts was theatrically released with Meet the Robinsons (which is where I saw it), and I think has been on a 3D demo disc.

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:16 am

Gasmask Ted wrote:There was a showing of all of them 5 years ago:
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/old-brew/3-d-cartoons.html
And Working For Peanuts was theatrically released with Meet the Robinsons (which is where I saw it), and I think has been on a 3D demo disc.

Shame that Working For Peanuts was not released internationally at lest it wasn't relesed here in Iceland, for example Goofy's 2007 short wasn't.

As for the 3D demo disc is Melody also on there? and do you know the exact name of the 3D demo disc.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:29 am

It's slightly OT but related to Disney:

Back in the day, Disney shot an episode of The Mickey Mouse Club in 3-D. It used to be shown at the Disneyland theme park.
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

Philo & Gunge

Postby Philo & Gunge » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:55 am

WoodpeckerWoody wrote:As for the 3D demo disc is Melody also on there? and do you know the exact name of the 3D demo disc.

I can help out with that because I own the 3D demo disc. It's a starter disc that comes with 3D glasses for Mitsubishi 3D Blu-ray players. It, does in fact have a 3D Working with Peanuts on it that looks great. I don't know the name of the disc because I'm not home right now but I'll look it up first chance I can.
The Trash Heap has spoken NYAHHH!!!
www.akiyoshishimizu.com

TTTP Member from March 2004-November 2011, proud from beginning to end.

rodinei1964

I saw two of them on TV

Postby rodinei1964 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:26 am

I saw two of them on Brazilian TV:

- Working for Peanuts (Disney, 1953): directed by Jack Hannah; with Donald, Chip & Dale. Do you remember of Dolores (the female elephant)? This short was featured on the 1977 version from The Mickey Mouse Club.
- Hypnotic Hick (Universal/Walter Lantz, 1953): directed by Don Patterson; with Woody Woodpecker and Buzz Buzzard. Very anthological. I get wondering how this short had the tridimensional effect, when it was originally played on the movies.

Cartoonfanatic201

Postby Cartoonfanatic201 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:22 am

I wonder if the original 3d prints of these cartoons exist, and if they did, you would probably have to buy a 3d tv in order to view them in there original format.

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:16 pm

I did a search on YouTube and found the following (You need a good pair of anaglyph red/cyan 3D glasses; or, failing that, a pair of safety goggles the lenses of which can be colored using red and blue indelible markers):

1. Working for Peanuts (Disney, 1953)

2. Hypnotic Hick (Walter Lantz, 1953)

(this one is "experimental", according to the YouTube user who uploaded this... I don't have my 3D glasses handy to verify the quality of the results)

3. Lumber Jack Rabbit (WB, 1953)

(IIRC, this particular cartoon was only 3D in part, most notably the opening in which the WB shield pops out more prominently than usual. This appears to be the standard, 2D version... Nevertheless, notice that the soundtrack is fuller and has more "presence". WB may have been experimenting at that time with stereophonic sound as well.)

4. Boo Moon (Famous Studios, 1953)

(I couldn't find an actual 3D version of this cartoon; this was obviously uploaded from the Classic Media "Harveytoons" set that came out a couple of years ago. It's a shame that the studio didn't think to revive the "stereo-optical" process that the Fleischers had used in the 1930's for some of their Popeye and Color Classics cartoons. When combined with the anaglyph 3D process used in the 1950's, the results might truly have been impressive. Then again, the two processes may have been incompatible.)

5. Popeye The Ace of Space (Famous, 1953)

(No 3D version of this is available either... If WBHE ever gets around to releasing the 4th volume of Popeye the Sailor on DVD; I hope they'll restore the 3D version and include a pair of glasses. This version aired on Boomerang and has better color than other copies floating on YouTube... unfortunately it's also from an a.a.p. print.)

6. Adventures in Music: Melody (Disney, 1953)

(Sadly, the version included in the Disney Treasures set is in 2D)

BTW, with regard to dates... I have listed the copyright dates and not the actual release dates.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:23 pm

Cartoonfanatic201 wrote:I wonder if the original 3d prints of these cartoons exist, and if they did, you would probably have to buy a 3d tv in order to view them in there original format.

Reportedly the 3D versions for all of the cartoons are extant but have not been released commercially; with the exception of the aforementioned demo disc (see my post above.)

I'm guessing that the 3D version of "Working for Peanuts" on YouTube was uploaded from that demo disc.

BTW, if you try to download that video from YouTube using "Clipnabber", "Freecorder", or the RealPlayer downloader; you'll end up with two discrete, simultaneous images divided onto the left and right sections of the screen. For some reason, the combined anaglyph red and cyan images separate during the download.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”