"Sniffles Takes A Trip"(1940) mosaic

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Sanek

"Sniffles Takes A Trip"(1940) mosaic

Postby Sanek » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:16 am

Hi all!
It's another mosaic, based on studio documents courtesy of Paul Ignatiev, I got the document right from his hands. My dad worked on "restoration" of the document for better vision of some particular scenes, maybe I re-upload mosaic on the next week.
So, here it is!

Rel. 5/11/40
Prod 9367[as showed in draft]
Directed by Charles M. Jones
Animation by Robert Cannon,Fred Jones, Bob McKimson, Ken Harris, Harold Soldinger, Rudy Larriva, Cobb(?), Phil Monroe, Robert Stokes, Don(?) and Tracy(?)
Asst. animation by Abe Levitow, Lee Halpern and Lloyd Vaughan
Effects animation by Alex Ignatiev, A.C. Gamer, Robert Atkins, Moore(?), Rudy Zingler, Konstantin Lebedeff, Sandy Strother, Griffen(?) and Brad(?)
Story by Dave Monahan

Layout by John McGrew
Backgrounds by Paul Julian(?)
VC by Margaret Hill-Talbot
Music by Carl W. Stalling

and "sec'y" Morgan(?)[as showed in draft]

No "screen footage"(they put "check" in,without screen footage), no "B.G. data(empty)

Mosaic:

Used songs:

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"

Notes:

• Scene 8. I don't think that this was actually animated, it can be a part of layout.

• Scenes 9-10. I don't think that Ken Harris was the real animator of this scenes. Probably he was in charge to aniamate this scenes, but in reality they was done by someone else. Sniffles just don't look the same in another Harris scenes.

• I don't think that all Cannon scenes from 60 and on featured effects animators.

Here it is. I hope that forum member helped me to solve the mystery of this guys like Don,Cobb, Tracy and others.

Prinzenick

Postby Prinzenick » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:13 pm

Thanks for this mosaic! Do you have a document for "Sniffles and the Bookworm" laying around?

Anyway, i like this short. It's cute and atmospheric.
"I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."
--Walt Disney :rabbit:

Sanek

Postby Sanek » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:25 pm

Prinzenick wrote:Thanks for this mosaic! Do you have a document for "Sniffles and the Bookworm" laying around?

I asked Paul Ignatiev about it.

Cartoonfanatic201

Postby Cartoonfanatic201 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:12 pm

Sanek wrote:Hi all!
It's another mosaic, based on studio documents courtesy of Paul Ignatiev, I got the document right from his hands. My dad worked on "restoration" of the document for better vision of some particular scenes, maybe I re-upload mosaic on the next week.
So, here it is!

Rel. 5/11/40
Prod 9367[as showed in draft]
Directed by Charles M. Jones
Animation by Robert Cannon,Fred Jones, Bob McKimson, Ken Harris, Harold Soldinger, Rudy Larriva, Cobb(?), Phil Monroe, Robert Stokes, Don(?) and Tracy(?)
Asst. animation by Abe Levitow, Lee Halpern and Lloyd Vaughan
Effects animation by Alex Ignatiev, A.C. Gamer, Robert Atkins, Moore(?), Rudy Zingler, Konstantin Lebedeff, Sandy Strother, Griffen(?) and Brad(?)
Story by Dave Monahan

Layout by John McGrew
Backgrounds by Paul Julian(?)
VC by Margaret Hill-Talbot
Music by Carl W. Stalling

and "sec'y" Morgan(?)[as showed in draft]

No "screen footage"(they put "check" in,without screen footage), no "B.G. data(empty)

Mosaic:

Used songs:

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"

Notes:

• Scene 8. I don't think that this was actually animated, it can be a part of layout.

• Scenes 9-10. I don't think that Ken Harris was the real animator of this scenes. Probably he was in charge to aniamate this scenes, but in reality they was done by someone else. Sniffles just don't look the same in another Harris scenes.

• I don't think that all Cannon scenes from 60 and on featured effects animators.

Here it is. I hope that forum member helped me to solve the mystery of this guys like Don,Cobb, Tracy and others.

Out of Curiosity are all of the documents Paul Ignatiev have are from Sniffles Cartoons? or is there more? (If so, can you please post them?)

looneytooney

Postby looneytooney » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:23 pm

Wow! I thought McKimson did Sniffles being frightened in the woods. Cannon has some great drawing in that scene.

Do-Do

Postby Do-Do » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:49 pm

Sanek wrote:Animation by ... Don(?)

Don Williams?

looneytooney

Postby looneytooney » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:08 pm

The "Don" in the draft I thought could be Don Foster, since most of the credited scenes in the draft of his are paintings.

DaffyDave

Postby DaffyDave » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:33 pm

Lovin' all the Sniffles attention!

Sanek

Postby Sanek » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:37 am

looneytooney wrote:The "Don" in the draft I thought could be Don Foster, since most of the credited scenes in the draft of his are paintings.

Do you sure? But it can't be Don Williams - he worked at MGM(Hugh Harman unit) at that time. Maybe it's really that Don Foster...

Sogturtle

Postby Sogturtle » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:23 pm

Sanek wrote:Do you sure? But it can't be Don Williams - he worked at MGM(Hugh Harman unit) at that time. Maybe it's really that Don Foster...

Sanek and all~

I was checking all through my records of 1939 (Jan. '39 to Jan. '40) for the mysterious [color=Red]"Don"
as well as "Cobb", ", "Tracy", "Moore", "Griffen", and "Brad". My records include birthdates, biographies, new hires, articles, sports team configurations, gossip etc. (blah, blah, blah;)).

I have to tell you, to date, there is not a SINGLE mention of ANY of these guys names!! :eek: This of course is not 100% conclusive on ALL of them as obviously a lone animator COULD get missed or hide out for some reason. But NOT SIX full animators or effects animators... It's to be noted that also Robert Stokes is nowhere mentioned.

Soooooo, unless something miraculously turns up, this Turtle at least is going to have to conclude that MOST if not ALL of these six guys were moonlighters! My HUNCH is that "Griffen" is Disney's Murray Griffen (he was an effects animator as well as having worked at Iwerks)... I'll have to double-check on Don Williams at that period.

Now that is ASSUMING that "Don" is not really a "Ron"...
[/color]

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”