Cartoon Discussion of the Week (9/25/2011) Wild Wife

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Glowworm

Cartoon Discussion of the Week (9/25/2011) Wild Wife

Postby Glowworm » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:29 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e41u-juj3gE

Here's a cartoon I used to see a lot as a child on Nickelodeon, so it's a bit of a guilty pleasure. I enjoy it in particular because it's one of the few Looney Tunes shorts that centers upon a female character. Also, unlike most portrayals of wives in cartoons, this one is lovely and likable--not at all a nasty battleaxe.

I always got a kick out of the little old lady at the bank who wants to deposit $200 in pennies. I think my mom even liked that scene--and she's not exactly a cartoon fanatic. I also used to have trouble understanding the blood bank gag as a child--but now that I get it--I think it's very funny.

I do have a few questions that always puzzled me about this one though.

1. When the kids come down to breakfast, the little boy says "Oh boy, Bango. I love Bango!" What exactly is bango? I've been having trouble figuring that one out.

2. What is up with constantly naming couples in Looney Tunes shorts John and Marsha?

Anyhow, that ending makes me laugh because that husband totally deserved that present. Also, "Little man, I had a busy day." is a very memorable line for me.
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

Vdubdavid

Postby Vdubdavid » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:33 pm

Glowworm wrote:2. What is up with constantly naming couples in Looney Tunes shorts John and Marsha?

I believe that is a reference to a sketch by Stan Freberg parodying sappy melodramas, where every other line is the two lovers, John and Marsha, saying each other's names.

Glowworm

Postby Glowworm » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:35 pm

Vdubdavid wrote:I believe that is a reference to a sketch by Stan Freberg parodying sappy melodramas, where every other line is the two lovers, John and Marsha, saying each other's names.

Thanks, I've seen that sort of gag in "Punch Trunk" and "Unnatural History" (Except the female's name was "Martian.":p)

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:57 pm

Glowworm wrote:I always got a kick out of the little old lady at the bank who wants to deposit $200 in pennies. I think my mom even liked that scene--and she's not exactly a cartoon fanatic.

It's funny because that happens in real life a lot. It's frustrating.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

larriva9/11

Postby larriva9/11 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:59 pm

Vdubdavid wrote:I believe that is a reference to a sketch by Stan Freberg parodying sappy melodramas, where every other line is the two lovers, John and Marsha, saying each other's names.

A later tribute to the concept...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiHnliphZ48

Bobby Bickert

Postby Bobby Bickert » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:35 pm

Glowworm wrote:Thanks, I've seen that sort of gag in "Punch Trunk" and "Unnatural History" (Except the female's name was "Martian.":p)

Another one is "Bedeviled Rabbit", after Bugs dresses up as a "Tasmanian she-devil".

Glowworm

Postby Glowworm » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:35 pm

larriva9/11 wrote:A later tribute to the concept...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiHnliphZ48

Wow! Those are really complicated lyrics.:rolleyes:

Bobby Bickert

Postby Bobby Bickert » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:52 pm

Glowworm

Postby Glowworm » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:10 pm

Thanks--that was funny!

speedy fast

Postby speedy fast » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:13 pm

I think it's a very funny cartoon. The blood bank gag is funny, but I wonder if that was put there to fill some time. It seems the wife is hardly involved in that scene, and we don't even see how she reacts to him wanting a withdrawll.

I also like the ending.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”