Love or Hate: Rocky & Bullwinkle

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

what do you think?

Love
81%
Hate
2%
It's Ok
17%

Total votes: 47

Ben-the-looney

Postby Ben-the-looney » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:57 pm

Love, love, LOVE this show!

I used to watch it all the time when it aired on CN late at night back in the day. Of course, it was way passed my bedtime, but I didn't care. :D

As a kid, I loved the characters and the colorful animation. However, as an adult that owns four of the DVDs (getting the fifth one for my B-day in a few days) I've been able to appreciate it's social commentary, corny but funny puns, and cultural references.

One of my favorite parts of the show is the format. It's an animated sketch show with different skits, and I love that it has several different characters and stories.

With this being one of my all time favorite cartoons, "Rocky and Bullwinkle," will forever be a landmark in animation history as a show made just as much for adults as it was for children.

FlapperPrower

Postby FlapperPrower » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:22 pm

Love the show. It had great characters and hilarious writing. I enjoyed the show well enough to buy The Moose That Roared to learn more on the show's history.

Cdawg

Postby Cdawg » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:59 pm

I have always loved Rocky & Bullwinkle ! I bought most of the video tapes when that was the way to get 'em, and now I own all seasons on DVD. I like the voice acting by the likes of Edward Everett Horton, June Foray & etc . . . Obviously I like goofy stupid jokes too !
and I'm affectionate, too!

speedy fast

Postby speedy fast » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:18 pm

I really like Rocky and Bullwinkle. I was first exposed to the series via the Buena Vista VHS, and became instantly hooked. My favorite segments on the series are the main Rocky and Bullwinkle segments, plus Mr. Know-It-All and the Fan Club (often when I watch the DVDs, I might skip all the supporting segments except for those two). The other supporting segments are good as well (though Aesop and Son is my least favorite), but I like the stuff with Rocky and Bullwinkle the best.

I've seen all the movies based on the series. The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle could have been better (I was disapointed it didn't have more Boris and Natasha... Fearless Leader had more screen time, and yet he wasn't in as many storylines in the series), Dudley Do-Right wasn't that good, and I actually like Boris and Natasha the best (though the casting could still be better... They should have cast Danny DeVito as Boris, and an actress with longer hair should have played Natasha; Heck, recently I've been wondering if Katy Perry would make a good live-action Natasha), though maybe it's because I like the bad guys better than the stars.

I often wish there was a revival series (I know there was an attempt in the past), or at least occasional Bullwinkle television specials.

bj_wanlund

Postby bj_wanlund » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:50 pm

How can I not love Rocky & Bullwinkle???

('Nuff said.)

BJ

Chooch

Postby Chooch » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:29 pm

Cartoonfanatic201 wrote:Anyone here like or hate Rock & Bullwinkle? I do...

Agree. I also like or hate them.

speedy fast

Postby speedy fast » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:41 pm

One thing I find interesting: Of the show's two main duos (Rocky and Bullwinkle/Boris and Natasha), both have one short person and one tall person, and in both duos June Foray seems to do the smarter character. Rocky is obviously smarter than Bullwinkle, and compared to Boris Natasha doesn't seem to be too evil (I've also noticed that Natasha never gets injured alone... Boris often gets injured alone, but when Natasha gets injured Boris gets injured as well).

I think about the shows original titles ("Rocky and His Friends", "The Bullwinkle Show", and I wonder why the series title never included both character names in the original run. They were pretty much equal. It's not like Rocky was the star and Bullwinkle was one in a group of friends of Rocky, and not like Bullwinkle didn't appear in every episode.

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:36 am

speedy fast wrote:I think about the shows original titles ("Rocky and His Friends", "The Bullwinkle Show", and I wonder why the series title never included both character names in the original run. They were pretty much equal. It's not like Rocky was the star and Bullwinkle was one in a group of friends of Rocky, and not like Bullwinkle didn't appear in every episode.
This is just a guess, but...

It was pretty much a convention for the kids adventure shows to have a hero and comic sidekick (Wild Bill Hickcock had Jingles, Roy Rogers had Pat Brady, Superman had Jimmy Olsen, Captain Midnight had Ichabod "Ikky" Mudd, etc.). So giving the hero top billing was pretty standard. And if you watch the earliest episodes, Bullwinkle does not dominate the narrative as much as he would eventually.

Also, Rocky & His Friends alludes to the Peabody & Sherman and Fractured Fairy Tales segments as well. It was the title of the entire show. The individual segments that featured R&B did give Bullwinkle billing.

When the show moved to NBC, they wanted a new title as the show was moving out of kiddie programming hours and into network prime time. As Bullwinkle had become the real star of the show, it was only natural that they name the show after him.

In the years since, both shows have gotten mashed together in our memories although The Bullwinkle Show featured Dudley Do-Right and Aesop & Son while R&HF had Peabody and the Fairy Tales.
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

flyingfrog76

Postby flyingfrog76 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:05 pm

I voted okay mainly due to the prospect that I haven't seen the show in ages, but the last I saw, it was enjoyable. The magic bumpers were always a hoot, the side cartoons were entertaining (Mr. Peabody was a personal favorite) and the meat and potatos of the show were alright. It did seem a bit dated, having the antagonists be Russian (Get it, 60's cold war), but that's a small issue.

Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but again, it's been a while since I last saw the show. Now Dudley Do Right hit all the right notes in terms of a melodrama parody, better than Penelope Pitstop in my eyes.
Watching classic animation since 1992.

King Delbert

Postby King Delbert » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:22 pm

Ben-the-looney wrote:
I used to watch it all the time when it aired on CN late at night back in the day. Of course, it was way passed my bedtime, but I didn't care. :D

Me too. I always found an excuse to be able to stay up and watch it though (parties, or the parents are still up with company)
"I've got the balls to say what your thinking!"

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”