An UN-POLL: What's your SINGLE favorite Golden Age theatrical cartoon of all?

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Geezil

An UN-POLL: What's your SINGLE favorite Golden Age theatrical cartoon of all?

Postby Geezil » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:10 pm

(Important: NOT a poll, multiple choice or otherwise, and there's NO expiration date!)

I was just thinking this point over during the last few days, and figured it might be fun to share here, to see what each opinion might be at GAC. (I also realize it'll take a lot of thought to get there.)

Ground rules:

1) As the thread title line says, choose one Golden Age theatrical cartoon and only one that fits your choice of Best Ever. Take your time!!!!!!!

2) Only one- and two-reelers are eligible (which, for example, makes the Fleischer Popeye Specials fair game, but not any feature-length animated film from any studio...so goodbye, Snow White, and even Gulliver.)

3) And for variety's sake, you don't have to include any sort of detailed explanation of your choice (unless you truly want to)! Just have fun while you're narrowing 'em down. :D

To start with, here's mine:

Popeye the Sailor Meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves (1937): Top points above all for use of color and the Fleischer tabletop technique (as we now can see without squinting, thanks to film restoration and WHV's Popeye Volume 1!), not to mention supreme fun with ad libs by all voice artists concerned. IMHO, none of those three ingredients ever came through better in the history of the Fleischer studio.

And now, the floor's open!
:bosko: :bugs2: :mighty: :betty: :woody: :foggy: :audrey: :daffy:
P.U.P. Toons[font=Times New Roman][color=red]© are Our Toons! [/font][/color]

J. A. Boschen

Postby J. A. Boschen » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:21 pm

"Beep! Beep!": (WB, Chuck Jones). Probably my favorite cartoon featuring my two favorite theatrical cartoon characters. Love the music score, the background artwork is beautifully done, character design and the animation is is just as nice, great story, etc. Overall a masterpiece in my opinion.
:beepbeep: :coyote:

Paulie J. Waddle

Postby Paulie J. Waddle » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:25 pm

The Poet and Peasant-
Oh sure, people expect a zany cartoon from Warner Bros. They also expect Disney parodies from Warner. The first time I watched this cartoon, via Woody Woodpecker Vol. 2, generously purchased by my dear mother for ten bucks, I thought it was going to be a short I didn't like. I sat there, thinking This is too slow!! and Rip-off! That time, I impulsively skipped it to the next cartoon. Last month, I went on a sorta-crazy Suppe binge after looking up Light Cavalry Overture on YouTube. (Great recording, man!) When I found the DVD in my suitcase, (long story) I decided to give it a re-try. HOLY CRAP. Did that duck just go all Tex Avery on that fox? LOL! That goose just shot a guy!! After the iris-out, I was stunned. An Andy Panda short? Really?*

*Please note that this is before I ever saw Apple Andy, but that short's in a league all its own. ;)

(Curse you, Geezil! I had this thread idea a long time ago! And I was going to post it today, too! Stupid long-term goals!)
Take that, Phineas and Ferb Wiki!

Geezil

Postby Geezil » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:27 pm

Paulie J. Waddle wrote:

(Curse you, Geezil! I had this thread idea a long time ago! And I was going to post it today, too! Stupid long-term goals!)

"Gee...ain't I a stinker?" :p
:bosko: :bugs2: :mighty: :betty: :woody: :foggy: :audrey: :daffy:
P.U.P. Toons[font=Times New Roman][color=red]© are Our Toons! [/font][/color]

Paulie J. Waddle

Postby Paulie J. Waddle » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:31 pm

Geezil wrote:"Gee...ain't I a stinker?" :p

"Thanks for the sour persimmons, cuz!"

Well, of course I was saving it until I got a 1,000 posts, but I guess I'll come up for a new thread then. :p

EDIT: ...and it'll be better than yours! *slams door*
Take that, Phineas and Ferb Wiki!

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:47 pm

Nice to some old TTTP spirit, but man is this a hard question.

I say "The Band Concert" (1935). Not only is this the first actual Mickey cartoon in color but probably the funniest.

LooneyFan

Postby LooneyFan » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:52 pm

Back Alley Op-Roar

Reasons:
  1. It stars Sylvester. My favorite Golden Age character.
  2. It is directed by Friz Freleng. My favorite Golden Age director.
  3. Sylvester wins (for the most part).
  4. It describes the Looney Tunes name.
  5. Opera.
  6. The orange cat.
  7. Sylvesters' one-man band. HILARIOUS.
  8. Sylvester's design. In pure form here.

DaffyDave

Postby DaffyDave » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:02 pm

Little Red Riding Rabbit. Why? Because.

R. Araya

Postby R. Araya » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:07 pm

A Wild Hare. It doesn't even need an explanation.
The Golden Age Cartoon Forums: It's Been a Long, Long Time.

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:58 pm

Thats though one Geezil, I generally don'T like to make up between cartoons I love them all.

Well if you insist
DER FUEHRER'S FACE

1. Its stars Donald Duck, as nasi worker, Donald is my favorite cartoon character of all time. Despite my user name. But Woody is my favorite Lantz character
2. It was made Walt Disney Studio,
3. Its masterful propaganda. It shows what was wrong with the Thrid Reach.
4. Only Donald Duck cartoon to win Oscar, (All though I don't care about Oscar prizes)
5. The opening theme
6. Bellboy Donald is my second favorite Donald Duck cartoon, was my favorite Donald and all time cartoon until I discovered that DER FUEHRER'S FACE existed.
7. I'm World War II sucker
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”