Best Daffy-Porky Chuck Jones Pairing

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Which ones the best?

Drip Along Daffy
22%
Duck Dodgers And The 24% Century
38%
Rocket Squad
3%
Robin Hood Daffy
34%
Boston Quackie
3%
My Little Duckaroo
No votes

Total votes: 32

quack-up

Postby quack-up » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:18 am

FleischerFan wrote:On the list above, I voted for "Robin Hood Daffy," but my all-time favorite is not in the poll: "Deduce, You Say":daffy:

Yeah. I would've also voted for "Deduce," but voted for "Robin Hood" due to its absence too.

cartoonfan4ever

Postby cartoonfan4ever » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:39 pm

Drip-along Daffy for me.

Green Kitten

Postby Green Kitten » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:18 pm

Toss up between Deduce You Say and Robin Hood Daffy. Hmm... let's pick Robin Hood Daffy - beautifully designed, great quotes, great characterisations, and much better than most of the 1958-output.

Drip-Along Daffy is pretty good, though I prefer the more energetic Bugs Bunny Rides Again.
Duck Dodgers is great.
Rocket Squad... probably should rewatch that.
Boston Quackie? Never seen it, though I'm hardly disappointed with McKimson Daffys.
My Little Duckaroo? It's alright, but a bit bland - too talky.
Oh da boy, da diamond.

J. B. Warner

Postby J. B. Warner » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:23 pm

It's a three-way tie between "The Ducksters", "Drip-Along Daffy", and "Duck Dodgers". I never, ever get tired of any of these three. "Robin Hood Daffy" is a worthy contender too, with some absolutely hilarious gags.

The great thing about the earlier Daffy-Porky film parodies from Jones is that Daffy never once realizes that he's the wrong actor for the part. Even at the end of "Duck Dodgers", after he's completely obliterated Planet X, he still thinks he's the hero. At the close of "Drip-Along Daffy", he still winks at the audience like he just saved the day, even though he's been reduced to the position of sanitation commissioner. Compare that to "Deduce, You Say" or "My Little Duckaroo", where Daffy is fully aware at the end that he's lost. I think it's funnier when he remains delusional throughout, totally committed to a role he takes much more seriously than he should.
:bugs2: This post is intended for adult collectors and may contain material that is unsuitable for younger children. :daffy:

larriva9/11

Postby larriva9/11 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:08 pm

J. B. Warner wrote: Compare that to "Deduce, You Say" or "My Little Duckaroo", where Daffy is fully aware at the end that he's lost.

In those cases, I'm not sure if he's so much "fully aware", as too punch drunk to notice.

Otherwise, I find it interesting that Chuck didn't seek to extend that pairing into the 1960s (for better or worse)

J. B. Warner

Postby J. B. Warner » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:24 pm

larriva9/11 wrote:Otherwise, I find it interesting that Chuck didn't seek to extend that pairing into the 1960s (for better or worse)

Seems like all the directors had pretty much gotten sick of Porky by then; he's only in three cartoons in the entire decade ("Daffy's Inn Trouble", "Dumb Patrol", and "Corn on the Cop"). Jones himself even said that Porky was kind of a boring character. By that point, Daffy was firmly established as Bugs Bunny's second banana.
:bugs2: This post is intended for adult collectors and may contain material that is unsuitable for younger children. :daffy:

Cartoonfanatic201

Postby Cartoonfanatic201 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:13 pm

J. B. Warner wrote:Seems like all the directors had pretty much gotten sick of Porky by then; he's only in three cartoons in the entire decade ("Daffy's Inn Trouble", "Dumb Patrol", and "Corn on the Cop"). Jones himself even said that Porky was kind of a boring character. By that point, Daffy was firmly established as Bugs Bunny's second banana.

The studio Got sick of Porky way before then, probably during the late 40's and early 50's where the number of Single Porky cartoons started to decrease and he was permanently used as a second banana to Daffy by then.

LooneyFan

Postby LooneyFan » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:41 am

Matt the Y wrote:That is "The Ducksters". That's a Chuck Jones one too and it's my probably my favorite of them too.

Yeah, "The Ducksters" is easily my favorite.

You also forgot "The Scarlet Pumpernickle" which is not just a Porky and Daffy pairing, but it still pretty hilarious...

Ben-the-looney

Postby Ben-the-looney » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:52 pm

Robin Hood Daffy.

"Yoiks, and away!" CRASH!

speedy fast

Postby speedy fast » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:22 pm

For me it was a toss-up between Robin Hood Daffy and Duck Dogers, but I picked Robin Hood Daffy, because it's underrated by comparison.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”