WB execs hate Porky?

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Brandon Panther

WB execs hate Porky?

Postby Brandon Panther » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:52 pm

Saw this at TV Tropes on the Porky Pig page:
Even into the 21st Century, his screentime is severely trumped by the other characters. Animator Mike Fontanelli (who works for Warner Bros.) claims that Porky's current downplaying is a result of an unexplained dislike of the character by many Warner Bros. executives.

Uh, can anyone confirm this was actually said?

I guess the stutter makes Porky too un-PC in their eyes. Just a guess.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

flyingfrog76

Postby flyingfrog76 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:28 pm

I never really saw any current resentment for Porky by WB, but it's kinda weird, especially if you take in to account Porky was WB's first star that's still around.
Watching classic animation since 1992.

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:36 pm

Those Excutives sound bitter.

Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:17 pm

Don't you people know better than to take the word of a Spumco alumnus at face value?
"The Fudd of Intellect will never capture the Wabbit of true Vision"- Rafi Zabor, Introduction to the Book of Leviathan :bugs2: :befuddled

-Kevin M

Mr. Semaj

Postby Mr. Semaj » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:16 pm

Porky has been ignored/maligned for decades. Take another look at the original Bugs Bunny Show opening and see who's NOT part of the roster...
Cartoons never were just for children. And neither is it a genre. It is an artistic medium where the use of caricatures are used to entertain or educate, with animation bringing said caricatures to life.

With such contemporary cartoons as The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, and the Adult Swim line-up, it's hard to dismiss the animated cartoon as only kids' fare. Cartoons can be for anyone. It's pure common sense.

L00nE2n

Postby L00nE2n » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:37 pm

I wouldn't say WB hates Porky since he appears with the rest of the gang in most recent usages of the characters, i.e. The Looney Tunes Show and especially the Duck Dodgers series, though I think it's fair to say is not one of the more merchandised characters.
Th-th-th-th-th-tha-that's all, Folks!

Prinzenick

Postby Prinzenick » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:01 pm

I was the one who added that bit of info to the article, Brandon. Mike Fontanelli talked about via a comment on John K's blog. The specific post is linked below, although you'll have to dig through the comments to find it. Roberto Gonzalez asked him, and Mike merely replied. It was an off-hand comment.

http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2008/10/40s-cartoons-daffy-duck-hunt-extreme.html

I excerpted it below:

"Roberto, don't ask me to explain executives - I can't. There's always been a palpable hatred of Porky Pig at Warner Bros - for no reason that I can fathom.

You've accidentally hit on a sore point with me - the cause of many a testy argument. I've been yelling about this to no avail practically since I've been there. Every time I draw Porky, he is mysteriously but deliberately "removed"."

BTW, is the bias against Spumco guys here so strong that ANYTHING they say can't be taken seriously now?
"I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."
--Walt Disney :rabbit:

Cartoonfanatic201

Postby Cartoonfanatic201 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:31 pm

WB has never by any means hated Porky Pig, the directors just got sick of him after a while. Porky pig was the single most popular WB cartoon character in late 30's and at that time, they were making alot of PP cartoons, that is untill Bugs Bunny came in and somewhat "pushed" him out of the spotlight. Because of that, the number of single Porky Pig cartoons being made each year started to decrease as the directors starting focusing on Bugs as well as creating and developing there own characters.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Clampett was quoted to saying he got sick of the character after making so many Porky Pig cartoons in his B&W LT unit (Almost all of the films he made in that unit were PP cartoons).

Bannedcartoonfan

Postby Bannedcartoonfan » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:59 pm

Cartoonfanatic201 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Clampett was quoted to saying he got sick of the character after making so many Porky Pig cartoons in his B&W LT unit (Almost all of the films he made in that unit were PP cartoons).

I think Tashlin said that. Not 100% sure but I do recall hearing that somewhere.

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:29 am

You know, it's strange... I was thinking about Porky Pig just today, and about how, throughout his pen and ink "career", the staff at WB appear to have not really known what to do with him.

In cartoons like Tashlin's "Wholly Smoke", Jones's "Old Glory", Clampett's "The Film Fan" and "Porky, and even in his very first cartoon, "I Haven't Got a Hat"; he was depicted as a child.

In other cartoons like Tashlin's "Porky's Romance", Clampett's "Porky and Daffy" and "The Daffy Doc", and Avery's "Gold Diggers of '49" he's depicted as an adult pig (and most of the time a really unattractive-looking one).

These cartoons were all made between 1936 and 1939... It wasn't until around 1940 or 41 that they seem to have settled upon keeping him as an adult (albeit a child-like one).

Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck, on the other hand, appear to have been conceived as adult characters from the very start.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”