WB execs hate Porky?

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

larriva9/11

Postby larriva9/11 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:06 pm

speedy fast wrote:I don't know how long the supposed studio hatred has gone on for, but I wonder if this might explain the lack of Porky Pig VHS releases after 1991. I don't know if the existing Porky videos sold less than some of the more major ones, or if it was something else.

Coincidentally or not, 1991 was when WB started to be picketed by anti-stuttering lobbyists, Ira Zimmerman and all...

J Lee

Postby J Lee » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:29 pm

larriva9/11 wrote:Coincidentally or not, 1991 was when WB started to be picketed by anti-stuttering lobbyists, Ira Zimmerman and all...

Wow, that name just brought some 1990s Usenet alt.animation.warner_bros flashbacks... :eek:
"Now who do I know who can write?"

-- Bluto (from "Seein Red, White N' Blue")

larriva9/11

Postby larriva9/11 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:06 am

J Lee wrote:Wow, that name just brought some 1990s Usenet alt.animation.warner_bros flashbacks... :eek:

And I think you have the answer to various questions posed in this thread, right there.

speedy fast

Postby speedy fast » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:21 pm

larriva9/11 wrote:Coincidentally or not, 1991 was when WB started to be picketed by anti-stuttering lobbyists, Ira Zimmerman and all...

Depending on how bad the picketing might have been, we should be thankful that the majority of otherpise politically correct Porky Pig cartoons continued to be broadcast frequently for another decade.

I wonder if I should find it ironic that Porky was added to the cast of marching characters in the Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show opening after this.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”