Classical Themes Heard in Classic Cartoons

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

zavkram

Classical Themes Heard in Classic Cartoons

Postby zavkram » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:48 am

We've had an ongoing thread, for some time now, which attempts to index the popular songs that were used in the classic Warner Bros. cartoons.

To the best of my knowledge there hasn't been one (recently, anyway) devoted to classical music themes. I got the idea from a recent post by Paulie J. Waddle, so it seems only fitting to begin this thread with his own contributions:

Light Cavalry Overture- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF5nhMIyeqI

The Blue Danube- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CTYymbbEL4

Poet and Peasant ("Have You Got Any Castles?")- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3_aM_s0R1U

Barber of Seville Overture- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OloXRhesab0

Die Fledermaus Overture/ Du und Du Waltz ("Hare Meets Herr")- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPybrOxRoT4

Spring Song- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mz5Rtx-Eu0

Sorry if the URL's aren't hyperlinked; I just did a simple copy and paste. The same thing can be done with these on YouTube's site.

I'm wondering if this thread should also include the classical themes heard in all Golden Age cartoons or just limit it to those heard in the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies?

Here are a few more...

Johann Strauss, Jr: Pizzicato Polka ("Mouse Mazurka")
Johannes Brahms: Hungarian Dances Nos. 5, 6, 7 and 17 ("Pigs in a Polka")
"Fate" motive from Beethoven's 5th Symphony, 1st Movement ("Private Snafu: The Home Front", "Robinson Crusoe, Jr.")
Mendelssohn's "Spring Song" ("Songs Without Words") is heard in "Daffy Duck and the Dinosaur", when 'Fido' gets conked on the head with the rock.
Mendelssohn: "Nocturne" from Incidental Music to "A Midsummer Night's Dream": ("Robin Hood Makes Good")
Schubert: 2nd Movement from Symphony No. 8 ("Unfinished"): ("Robin Hood Makes Good")
Schubert: "Marche Militaire" ("The Good Egg")
Mendelssohn: "Hebrides" Overture (Any "Inki" cartoon featuring the Minah Bird)
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

cartoonfan4ever

Postby cartoonfan4ever » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:51 pm

I think it'll be fine to include classical music in all Golden Age cartoons.

Here are a few more.

Pilgrims' Chorus from Tannhäuser, Wagner (What's Opera Doc? Bugs and Elmer dances together)
Ride of the Valkyries, Wagner (What's Opera Doc? "Kill the wabbit")
Overture to the Flying Dutchman, Wagner (What's Opera Doc?)
Morning Noon and Night in Vienna, Suppe (Baton Bunny)

rrfan3267

Postby rrfan3267 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:14 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed%C5%99ich_SmetanaBedrich Smetana's "Dance of the Comedians" is used in most of the Road Runner cartoons.
:beepbeep: :coyote::daffy: :sylvester :ysam: :ham::bugs2: :speedy: :lepew: :foggy: :marvin: :tweety: :befuddled

Paul Penna

Postby Paul Penna » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:56 pm

cartoonfan4ever wrote:Pilgrims' Chorus from Tannhäuser, Wagner (What's Opera Doc? Bugs and Elmer dances together)

Actually, that's primarily the Venusberg ballet music from Tannhäuser. The Pilgrim's chorus theme blasts out when Bugs is revealed atop the pudgy horse (as well as when he rides in on one in Herr Meets Hare) and also is the melody for "Return My Love."

cartoonfan4ever

Postby cartoonfan4ever » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:41 pm

^ Yes, thanks. I was actually thinking of the "Return My Love" part but didn't know how to word it (pesky dyslexia) and just generalized it.

Oh, and I thought of another.

Liszt’s Hungarian Rhapsody #2 from The Cat Concerto.

Paul Penna

Postby Paul Penna » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:09 am

Just some things I sporadically, haphazardly and occasionally noted in my database:

Springtime (1929) Disney Grieg: Peer Gynt Morning Mood; Ponchielli: Dance of the Hours
El Terrible Toreador (1929) Disney Bizet: Carmen
Night (1930) Disney Beethoven: Moonlight Sonata; Strauss: Blue Danube
Winter (1930) Disney Waldteufel: The Skaters
The China Plate (1931) Disney Ketelbey: In a Chinese Temple Garden
Bugs in Love (1932) Disney Waldteufel: The Skaters
Mickey in Arabia (1932) Disney Ketelbey: In a Persian Market
The Early Bird and the Worm (1936) Sinding: Rustle of Spring
Porky in the North Woods (1936) Warner Suppe: Poet and Peasant overture
Sniffles and the Bookworm (1939) Warner Schubert: Moment Musical D.780 (Stalling arrangement, not R. Scott)
Joe Glow the Firefly (1941) Warner Mendelssohn: On the Wings of Song
The Peachy Cobbler (1950) MGM Gossec: Gavotte "Rosine" in D Major (dancing ballet slippers)
The Bandmaster (1947) Lantz Herold: Zampa Overture
Knights Must Fall (1949) Warner Mendelssohn: War March of the Priests from Athalie Op. 74
The Hollywood Bowl (1950) MGM J. Strauss: Die Fledermaus Overture
Holiday for Shoestrings (1946) Warner (not in order) Tchaikovsky: Nutcracker dances: Sugar Plum Fairy, Flutes, Arabian, Russian; J Strauss Sr: Furioso Galop; J Strauss Jr: Tales from the Vienna Woods, Voices of Spring; Chopin "Minute" Waltz Op. 64 No. 1, Grande valse brillante Op. 18; plus a Mendelssohn - or Tchaikovsky - piece whose name escapes me.

Paul Penna

Postby Paul Penna » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:31 am

Oh yeah, a Wagner Hit parade:

Haredevil Hare (1948) Warner Wagner: Gotterdammerung: Siegfried's Rhine Journey (launch & moon trip) + Siegfried's Funeral Music (rocket moon landing); Wagner: Tannhauser: Evening Star ("Gee, kid - I didn't know you cared!"); Wagner: Rienzi Overture ("Earth calling Bugs Bunny!")

Typical Stalling musical title punnery: Siegfried's Journey/Bugs' Journey. "Evening Star" while Bugs & K-9 woo by the light of "a lovely Earth out tonight."

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:53 am

Wagner's "Rienzi" Overture got a fair amount of use during the Stalling years:

The coda of the overture shows up in "Bully for Bugs", when the bull falls victim to Bugs's elaborate, "Rube Goldberg"-like booby-trap (which is possibly the most hilarious ending to any cartoon, bar none!)

The same snippet of music is also heard near the end of the Private Snafu cartoon "Spies" and at the end of "Scrap-Happy Daffy". In the latter cartoon, other bits from the overture can be heard ("Destroy that scrap-pile!")

In the Franklyn era, it turns up briefly in "What's Opera Doc?" during the scene where Elmer is chasing Bugs (just before Bugs appears in "Brunnhilde" drag).
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Paul Penna

Postby Paul Penna » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:02 am

zavkram wrote:Wagner's "Rienzi" Overture got a fair amount of use during the Stalling years

But apparently coming up with a pun on "Rienzi" was beyond even Stalling's powers :p

But then again, the opera's full title is Rienzi: The Last of the Tribunes; maybe he did stick it in a Roman Legion-type gag that has yet to be chronicled. There's a nice research project for someone.

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:35 am

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 ("Pathetique"): 4th Movement ("The Stupid Cupid" WB)

Tchaikovsky: Waltz from "Sleeping Beauty" ("Mice Follies"; "The Bowling Alley Cat" MGM)

J. Strauss: "Roses From the South" ("Barney's Hungry Cousin" MGM)

Rossini-Respighi: "Tarantella" from "La Boutique Fantastique" ("Room and Bird" WB)

Wagner: "Pilgrim's Chorus" from Tannhauser ("Cross-Country Detours" WB)

Schubert: Symphony No. 8 ("Unfinished"): 1st Movement ("Boo-Bop" Famous)

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”