Classical Themes Heard in Classic Cartoons

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

The "Chase"

Postby The "Chase" » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:03 am

Could someone remind me on what's the tile of the song that appears when all the animals run to Jacques in "Porky in the North Woods" and the scene with the turtles calling each other in "Tortoise Beats Hate"? Mark Kasuler mentions it in "North Woods" commentary, but for some reason, I have trouble making out what the title and composer is.

Paul Penna

Postby Paul Penna » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:45 am

The "Chase" wrote:Could someone remind me on what's the tile of the song that appears when all the animals run to Jacques in "Porky in the North Woods" and the scene with the turtles calling each other in "Tortoise Beats Hate"? Mark Kasuler mentions it in "North Woods" commentary, but for some reason, I have trouble making out what the title and composer is.

The "North Woods" piece is yet again the ever-popular "Poet and Peasant" overture by Suppé. In "Tortoise," when the phone call sequence goes to montage, the music is reminiscent of the finale of Mendelssohn's "Hebrides Overture"; possible a piece of photoplay music composed in that vein or a classical piece that I'm spacing out on at the moment.

Paul Penna

Postby Paul Penna » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:31 pm

zavkram wrote:Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 ("Pathetique"): 4th Movement ("The Stupid Cupid" WB)

Also prominently features J. Strauss's "Voices of Spring."

zavkram wrote:Rossini-Respighi: "Tarantella" from "La Boutique Fantastique" ("Room and Bird" WB)

Didactic note: It's actually "La Boutique Fantasque."

Paulie J. Waddle

Postby Paulie J. Waddle » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:10 pm

Take that, Phineas and Ferb Wiki!

Paulie J. Waddle

Postby Paulie J. Waddle » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:22 pm

zavkram wrote:Schubert: 2nd Movement from Symphony No. 8 ("Unfinished"): ("Robin Hood Makes Good")

Also heard in Universal's Hollywood Bowl. Bonus points for Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 on the title card.

(PS Zavkram- He's a she)

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:08 am

Paulie J. Waddle wrote:Also heard in Universal's Hollywood Bowl. Bonus points for Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 on the title card.

(PS Zavkram- He's a she)

My apologies!
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:09 am

Paul Penna wrote:Didactic note: It's actually "La Boutique Fantasque."

You're right... I was thinking of Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique at the time!
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Glowworm

Ah--classical music--a great favorite of mine!

Postby Glowworm » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:15 pm

Tales from the Vienna Woods--Strauss--used of course in "A Corny Concerto" (the Bugs and Porky half of course) and the MGM short "Tales from the Vienna Woods"

Artist's Life--Strauss--at the end of "Hurdy Gurdy Hare" Bugs plays it on the violin to calm down the angry gorilla, and it's later played on the hurdy gurdy as the gorilla goes prancing along the buildings gathering money.
It's also heard at the beginning of the cartoon when Bugs is singing it while toting along his hurdy gurdy and monkey.

Trich Trach Polka--Strauss--can be heard in the opening credits of both "The Flea Circus" and "Cellbound" and can also be heard in "Johann Mouse" when Tom and Jerry are dancing together during the concert.

"The Emperor's Waltz"--Strauss-- can be heard when Porky is eating in the beginning and the end of "Bye Bye Bluebeard"

THe Nutcracker's "Chinese Dance" can be heard in Fantasia when the mushrooms are dancing--and also in "Holiday for Shoestrings" when the elf is trying to button that shoe--but there is one extra button.
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

cartoonfan4ever

Postby cartoonfan4ever » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:49 pm

Mendelssohn, Hebrides (Fingal's Cave) Overture. When you see the Minah Bird.

Paulie J. Waddle

Postby Paulie J. Waddle » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:25 pm

Glowworm wrote:
"The Emperor's Waltz"--Strauss-- can be heard when Porky is eating in the beginning and the end of "Bye Bye Bluebeard"

Johann Mouse is another. As I recall, there was also a small snippet of Perpetuum Mobile when Tom is sliding down the staircase.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”