Classical Themes Heard in Classic Cartoons

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Glowworm

Postby Glowworm » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:36 pm

Paulie J. Waddle wrote:Johann Mouse is another. As I recall, there was also a small snippet of Perpetuum Mobile when Tom is sliding down the staircase.

I do recall "Johann Mouse" having a pinch of the Emperor's Waltz--at the part where Tom and Jerry are introduced to perform before the emperor.
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

cartoonfan4ever

Postby cartoonfan4ever » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:49 pm

March of the Trolls, in The Skeleton Dance.

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:23 am

cartoonfan4ever wrote:March of the Trolls, in The Skeleton Dance.

Actually, "Dwarfs"... but, yes, it's the Grieg music that's heard in that cartoon and not Saint-Saens's "Danse Macabre", as some people mistakenly think.

I've been racking my brains trying to think of any cartoon that might have used Dvorak's "Slavonic Dances"... but I can't come up with one title.

Excerpts from Bizet's "Carmen" are featured in Gene Deitch's T&J cartoon, "Carmen Get It"... the conductor in that one is, I believe, a caricature of Arturo Toscanini; which is interesting when one considers how many times his rival, Leopold Stokowski, was parodied in earlier Hollywood cartoons.

The Sextet from Donizetti's "Lucia di Lammermoor" closes out Friz Freleng's "Notes to You"... I keep hoping that will be restored so that I can finally see what happens at the iris-out (the colorized versions "freeze" the action, so that all you hear is the resultant mayhem on the soundtrack.)

Suppe's "Light Calvary Overture" has turned up in such cartoons as Famous' "Little Boo-Peep", and Disney's "Symphony Hour".

Part of Liszt's "Les Preludes" is heard in "Dripalong Daffy"; in the scene where "Nasty Canasta" orders the bartender to mix two of his "usual".

The Prelude to Wagner's "Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg" is heard over the main-titles to Disney's "Der Fuhrer's Face"
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:33 am

Paulie J. Waddle wrote:Johann Mouse is another. As I recall, there was also a small snippet of Perpetuum Mobile when Tom is sliding down the staircase.

Perpetuum Mobile is also heard in "Fifth Column Mouse"; in the scene where the mechanical dog chases the Axis cat.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Glowworm

Postby Glowworm » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:05 am

Chopin's Waltz Number 6 in D-Flat major--AKA the minute waltz has also been heard in "Hyde and Hare" when Bugs is playing the piano, and in "Pizzicato Pussycat" when the mouse proves to the cat just what a great pianist he is. I also know that it can be heard in the beginning of "The Bear and the Hare" when Barney is skiing while reading.

Boccherini's Minuet can be heard in "The Oily American" when the butler is heading up the stairs to tell Mo Hichan about the new arrival in the hunting room.

It can also be heard in "The Scarlet Pumpernickel" when Daffy arrives at Elmer's inn.
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

cartoonfan4ever

Postby cartoonfan4ever » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:36 pm

zavkram wrote:Actually, "Dwarfs"... but, yes, it's the Grieg music that's heard in that cartoon and not Saint-Saens's "Danse Macabre", as some people mistakenly think.

I have wondered how the Danse Macabre rumor started? When you listen to that piece, it doesn't sound anything like what you hear in the cartoon.

Also, I have heard the March piece as both Trolls and Dwarfs. (zug der zwerge and trolltog) I also read discussions about which is which so apparently there is some confusion on that. I looked up the official title and it said;

"Lyriske stykker V, op. 54
no 3, trolltog."

Paulie J. Waddle

Postby Paulie J. Waddle » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:48 pm

cartoonfan4ever wrote:I have wondered how the Danse Macabre rumor started? When you listen to that piece, it doesn't sound anything like what you hear in the cartoon.

According to Jerry Beck's 50 Greatest Cartoons book, the xylophone scales Stalling used led many people (especially advertisers) to believe that.

EDIT: The Blue Danube---Runaway Blackie (Van Beuren)
Take that, Phineas and Ferb Wiki!

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:53 pm

Paulie J. Waddle wrote:According to Jerry Beck's 50 Greatest Cartoons book, the xylophone scales Stalling used led many people (especially advertisers) to believe that.

EDIT: The Blue Danube---Runaway Blackie (Van Beuren)

Also, the very title of the cartoon might suggest to those who don't know the piece that the music they're hearing is "Danse Macabre".

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:56 pm

cartoonfan4ever wrote:I have wondered how the Danse Macabre rumor started? When you listen to that piece, it doesn't sound anything like what you hear in the cartoon.

Also, I have heard the March piece as both Trolls and Dwarfs. (zug der zwerge and trolltog) I also read discussions about which is which so apparently there is some confusion on that. I looked up the official title and it said;

"Lyriske stykker V, op. 54
no 3, trolltog."

I think that in the "Lyric Suite", which contains four of the Op. 54 Lyric Pieces that were orchestrated by Grieg, the last movement is titled "March of the Dwarfs"... at least that's how I remember seeing it listed on an old LP recording of the work.

A couple more:

The Prelude to Act 3 of Wagner's "Lohengrin" is heard mid-way through "Long-Haired Hare"; when Bugs shows up as a swooning "bobby-soxer" who asks for Giovanni Jones's autograph.

The overture to Rossini's opera, "La Cenerentola" is prominently featured in a Walter Lantz cartoon from the mid-60's. I can't recall the title but it was directed either by Jack Hannah or Alex Lovy, and stars "Doc" as the conductor of an all alley-cat orchestra.

SirRuppOfFiggs

Postby SirRuppOfFiggs » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:20 pm

At the beginning of "Rabbit Fire" Daffy tiptoes away to a bit from "Anitra's Dance" by Grieg.

Chopin's C-minor Prelude is heard as "The Aristocat" reads about The Cat & during the Evil Scientist's monologue to his Creation in "Water Water Every Hare".

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”