Gabriel Churchkitten

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Der Captain

Gabriel Churchkitten

Postby Der Captain » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:34 am

Is this a lost cartoon? It was released by Famous studios in 1944, but I've never seen it.
"No buttons on der ding-busted pants!"

www.dangerousbird.com

J Lee

Postby J Lee » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:11 pm

Haven't seen it for a long time, but it was a regular part of the NTA-Famous Studios package in the 1960s and 70s, so there's bound to be a print out there somewhere.
"Now who do I know who can write?"

-- Bluto (from "Seein Red, White N' Blue")

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:30 pm

I searched for it just now on YouTube but found nothing.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:35 pm

Der Captain wrote:Is this a lost cartoon? It was released by Famous studios in 1944, but I've never seen it.

It looks like Jerry has it on DVD. So it's not lost.

Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:15 pm

I have a copy that's dubbed from vhs. It's not one of Famous' better efforts.
"The Fudd of Intellect will never capture the Wabbit of true Vision"- Rafi Zabor, Introduction to the Book of Leviathan :bugs2: :befuddled

-Kevin M

Ken Layton

Postby Ken Layton » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:35 pm

Here's some information about that cartoon from the episode guide I wrote several years ago:

GABRIEL CHURCHKITTEN (December 15, 1944) Noveltoon MPAA # 03834 It’s a cold snowy night at the church. Parson Peaseporridge has again forgotten to feed Peter Churchmouse and Gabriel Churchkitten. The pair team up with Trumpet the dog to awaken the sleep-walking Parson so they can get fed. Note: Print reviewed had N.T.A. titles. Direction: Seymour Kneitel - Animation: Graham Place, Lou Zukor, George Cannata, Joe Oriolo - Story: Margot Austin (from her 1942 book) - Scenics: Robert Little - Music: Winston Sharples. RCA sound recording - RATING: * (boring!)

The story was from a book and did not come from the Famous studios story department. This cartoon is very boring in my opinion and should have never been made! The characters and story simply do not adapt to an animated cartoon short.

Bobby Bickert

Postby Bobby Bickert » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:02 pm

It was on a VHS that I rented in the late 1980's. (And I'm pretty sure that it wasn't a PD compilation.)

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:26 pm

Bobby Bickert wrote:It was on a VHS that I rented in the late 1980's. (And I'm pretty sure that it wasn't a PD compilation.)

By any chance did you rent it at a Blockbuster? Jerry said something two month ago on "Stu's Show" that Republic (the then owners of the 1940's Famous cartoons) own that chain of stores when they first opened and I wouldn't be surrprise that they had Republic videos avialible to rent. I have Republic's offical 1984 Casper video that I bought when they were doing there quarterly clearance sales.

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:03 am

I'm not sure if this cartoon is in public domain, but it DID appear on VHS tapes back in the day.

It's another example of Famous Studios trying to imitate Disney's sentimentality and falling short (as per usual).
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

Bobby Bickert

Postby Bobby Bickert » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:26 pm

nickramer wrote:By any chance did you rent it at a Blockbuster? Jerry said something two month ago on "Stu's Show" that Republic (the then owners of the 1940's Famous cartoons) own that chain of stores when they first opened and I wouldn't be surrprise that they had Republic videos avialible to rent. I have Republic's offical 1984 Casper video that I bought when they were doing there quarterly clearance sales.

I don't think so. My family didn't rent from Blockbuster very much because their prices were higher than the "mom and pop" video stores.

(Though not cartoon-related, I do remember seeing Love Happy at Blockbuster. That was a Republic release.)

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”