Request for title of a scary cartoon

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Professor

Request for title of a scary cartoon

Postby Professor » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:35 am

I was reading an old thread about animated cartoons that frightened us when we were young. It seems to be a common experience for children to be scared by programming that is ostensibly for kids. For me, there were two animated cartoons that frightened me at age five. One of them was My Green Fedora where a baby mistakes a weasel for his mother. Thinking about it now, this is not a good cartoon for young children. A baby is snatched from the safety of his crib, and taken to a lair under the house to be turned into a meal.

The other cartoon is one I have not been able to find since I first saw it. It has been many years, but I think it went something like this: A mother lives in an old house with many children. The mother warns her children about some villain who is in the neighborhood. As the mother leaves the house, it is revealed to the audience that it is really she who is the villain. She then returns to the house and terrorizes the children.

I have spent a lot of time looking for this cartoon, but I have not found anything except the old thread already mentioned, which contains a reference to a similar sounding cartoon. Does anyone remember this cartoon and know its title?

Mac

Postby Mac » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:34 pm

This isn't one I can think of, but it sounds delightfully twisted. Do you remember any other details you can give as clues? Was it colour or black and white? Any idea of the studio who made it? Were the characters human or humanized animals?

DaffyDave

Postby DaffyDave » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:28 pm

I doubt this is it, but I'll take a stab at this:

You're not thinking of The Case Of The Stuttering Pig, are you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiaEFHgWJ-E

I could see how over the years the storyline may have gotten muddled. & Lawyer goodwill does sound quite motherly.

Professor

Postby Professor » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:03 pm

The more I think about it, the more it seems it must have been The Case of the Stuttering Pig, maybe in colorized form. There are too many details that match. Somehow, in my five-year-old mind, I thought Lawyer Goodwill was a woman and the mother of the pigs. I also thought he (or she) was leaving the house to go to work for the day.

Thanks for the help. I think you found the "missing" cartoon, even with my bad clues.

DaffyDave

Postby DaffyDave » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:13 pm

Seemed really familiar especially since that one's in the Halloween playlist I've been watching daily for a week or so. Glad i could help.

Bobby Bickert

Postby Bobby Bickert » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:35 pm

Professor wrote:The more I think about it, the more it seems it must have been The Case of the Stuttering Pig, maybe in colorized form. There are too many details that match. Somehow, in my five-year-old mind, I thought Lawyer Goodwill was a woman and the mother of the pigs.

If you watched the old hand-colorized/redrawn version, Lawyer Goodwill would have been wearing pink clothes!

Glowworm

Postby Glowworm » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:07 pm

Professor wrote:The more I think about it, the more it seems it must have been The Case of the Stuttering Pig, maybe in colorized form. There are too many details that match. Somehow, in my five-year-old mind, I thought Lawyer Goodwill was a woman and the mother of the pigs. I also thought he (or she) was leaving the house to go to work for the day.

Thanks for the help. I think you found the "missing" cartoon, even with my bad clues.

I had a feeling, this was what you were thinking of myself. I think I used to wonder about Lawyer Goodwill's gender as a child also--due to that high pitched voice.

Also, I do recall that colorized version with the pink jumpsuit--oh geez!:p Good thing there was another version where the suit was colored black and the monster version had a green face.
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:04 am

What's not clear is why did "Uncle Solly" (presuming it's his house in which the story takes place) have all those potions down in his basement... and why was it even necessary for Lawyer Goodwill to change his appearance before trying to do the pigs in?
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

David Gerstein

Postby David Gerstein » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:11 pm

zavkram wrote:...Why was it even necessary for Lawyer Goodwill to change his appearance before trying to do the pigs in?
In case there were witnesses to his murder attempts, they'd never pin them on him because they'd never recognize Lawyer Goodwill as the culprit.
(Of course, we're dealing with a fourth-wall-breaking character who's aware the audience is watching him constantly, so what do I know?)
Ramapith: David Gerstein's Prehistoric Pop Culture Blog
Virtual Inkwell | The Classic Felix the Cat Page | Cartoon Pop Music
Van Beuren's Tom and Jerry | The Winkler Oswalds

"Politics is not left, right or center... it's about improving people's lives." —Paul Wellstone

J Lee

Postby J Lee » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:07 pm

David Gerstein wrote:In case there were witnesses to his murder attempts, they'd never pin them on him because they'd never recognize Lawyer Goodwill as the culprit.
(Of course, we're dealing with a fourth-wall-breaking character who's aware the audience is watching him constantly, so what do I know?)

Yea, the guy in the third row's a big cream puff, anyway. ;)

Aside from this cartoon, the other Tashlin short that partially fits the narrative is "Now That Summer Is Gone," when dad sneaks out and dresses up as the card shark to test junior, and then leaves him in the snow and broke (nutless?) to return home with his mugging story, only to find out exactly who conned him.
"Now who do I know who can write?"

-- Bluto (from "Seein Red, White N' Blue")

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”