Cartoon Discussion of the Week (10/16/2011) What Makes Daffy Duck

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Glowworm

Cartoon Discussion of the Week (10/16/2011) What Makes Daffy Duck

Postby Glowworm » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:26 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPQuh2ZbdtY
Greetings, here's a vastly underrated Daffy Duck short by Arthur Davis that is one of my absolute favorites.
What makes this one so good IMO is the fact that it displays Daffy's great wit--which would later be overshadowed by Bugs' in later cartoons. While Daffy may make a few oversights such as the fox cheating in the race, he's able to come back by playing mind games such as telling both Elmer, and the fox that they are the better one suited for having him.

The opening scene is great with Daffy addressing the audience and then taking a shower. I love the scene with Daffy displaying a vivid portrayal of his life before Elmer--before nailing him with a mallet. I also really like the female duck sequence. The best part however, is the brilliant ending that you never see coming. The first time I saw it, I thought it was one of the greatest tricks I've ever seen Daffy perform.
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

looneytooney

Postby looneytooney » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:31 pm

It's a shame Lloyd Turner and Bill Scott couldn't stay on the story department. They wrote some funny cartoons.

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:14 pm

I wonder if Turner and Scott ever knew they're partly responsible for the word "nimrod" being recognized as a word meaning "idiot", when it's actually a synonym for "hunter".

I love this cartoon as well, and is one of many I'd like to see fully restored (if it hasn't already, I don't remember).
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

Cartoonfanatic201

Postby Cartoonfanatic201 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:51 pm

speaking of Lloyd Turner and Bill Scott what ever happened to them after they left the studio? I know Bill Scott went on the write & direct Rock & Bullwinkle for Jay Ward Productions, but what about Lloyd Turner (Did he even stay in animation or no?)

larriva9/11

Postby larriva9/11 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:59 am

Is there any other toon where Elmer's so obsessively-compulsively referred to on a first-name basis?

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:33 am

Cartoonfanatic201 wrote:speaking of Lloyd Turner and Bill Scott what ever happened to them after they left the studio? I know Bill Scott went on the write & direct Rock & Bullwinkle for Jay Ward Productions, but what about Lloyd Turner (Did he even stay in animation or no?)

I thought Scott was fired (because both he and Turner were hired via a 'lottery') but Turner was kept on until the Davis unit finally disbanded?
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

The Spectre

Postby The Spectre » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:29 am

Michael Barrier posted an interview with Lloyd Turner here. There are a few Davis cartoons which only credit Turner, but I don't know if Turner wrote them alone or if the studio just removed Scott's name from them.

Art Davis and Daffy Duck are always a great combination and "What Makes..." is one of the best. Notice at the end, the strange rules of a humans-and-funny-animals world: the fox pursues Daffy as a hunter, but when it's (apparently) fox season, he is fair game for Elmer to hunt. This strangeness isn't really called attention to, unlike the "Elmer Season" at the end of "Rabbit Fire".

I wonder if "Fortescue" is intended to be the fox's name (Daffy mentions it in the same line as he calls Elmer by name) or if it's just another nickname like "Chuckles", "Laughing Boy" or, indeed, "Nimrod". I like it as the fox's name, there's a certain Columbia-ishness to the name which suits him. :)

cartoonfan4ever

Postby cartoonfan4ever » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:23 pm

It's been a while since I've seen this one. It's a great toon and I like the animation style. I also like the gags, like when Elmer tells the fox to throw up his hands and the fox's gloves fly off revealing paws.

Glowworm

Postby Glowworm » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:25 pm

cartoonfan4ever wrote:It's been a while since I've seen this one. It's a great toon and I like the animation style. I also like the gags, like when Elmer tells the fox to throw up his hands and the fox's gloves fly off revealing paws.

I like that bit with the Fox's paws being revealed myself. Also "Something's wrong with my throat." :D
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

wiley207

Postby wiley207 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:48 pm

Yep, another one of my favorite Daffy Duck cartoons. That rubber ranger dog suit was more like something Bugs Bunny would wear, not Daffy Duck! :D

Incidentally, since Halloween's coming, I know that in REAL life, back in the 1940s, full-head rubber masks with moving mouths were pretty much impossible, but all that has changed in modern years with the use of foam latex and silicone rubber technology.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”