Live Action Animation Connection: I Got Plenty Of Mutton and Some Like It Hot

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Cartoonfanatic201

Live Action Animation Connection: I Got Plenty Of Mutton and Some Like It Hot

Postby Cartoonfanatic201 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:48 pm

Here's something I wonder if anyone noticed. According to Greg Ford on his commentary on the Frank Tashlin classic "I Got Plenty Of Mutton" there's a similarity between the ending of that cartoon and the ending to the Billy Wilder comedy Classic "Some Like It Hot". here's the comparison

in the ending of "I Got Plenty Of Mutton" the wolf (who's dressed as a female sheep) reveals to the sheep that's he's a wolf. the sheep being apathetic, still chases after him

In the ending of "Some Like It Hot", Jack Lemmon (who's in drag) reveals to Joe E. Brown that he's a man, and he makes the Apathetic comment "Well, Nobody's Perfect" and still wants to be with him

Does anyone know if the similarity is a coincidence or what is made on purpose?

Bannedcartoonfan

Postby Bannedcartoonfan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:51 pm

It's probably a reference done on purpose.

Gasmask Ted

Postby Gasmask Ted » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:57 pm

...Mutton (1944); ... Hot (1959)

So, no connection, other than unexpected sodomy due to laziness (like your failure to do something as basic as look up the dates of the films ) is funny, and some convergent gag evolution occurred.

drmark7

A Worthy Connection In My Book!

Postby drmark7 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:04 am

>>>So, no connection, other than unexpected sodomy due to laziness (like your failure to do something as basic as look up the dates of the films )

More unsavory GAC grousing...

Because there MAY be more to this...

I haven't seen MUTTON in recent memory to see how close the reference may be...

But WHAT IF Billy Wilder was referring to MUTTON in SOME LIKE IT HOT?!!! (Since it CAN'T be the other way around...)

And... the "Nobody's perfect!" gag from SOME LIKE IT HOT was indeed LATER referenced in a WB toon... at the end of Foghorn Leghorn's BANTY RAIDS!!! (The LAST Foghorn toon!)

BANTY RAIDS:
www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DlfMNxK4JHLw&sa=U&ei=tlaeTot25tXRAZr8lLUJ&ved=0CCQQtwIwBg&sig2=Kg9gyIJXXDl8IR3eoQ4mWg&usg=AFQjCNEMCQDj7YssRUK4Alg7Aj2yc0ZGqA

Bannedcartoonfan

Postby Bannedcartoonfan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:29 am

Gasmask Ted wrote:So, no connection, other than unexpected sodomy due to laziness (like your failure to do something as basic as look up the dates of the films ) is funny, and some convergent gag evolution occurred.

Was that insult really neccessary?

It could be possible that Mutton, Some Like It Hot, and Banty Raids are all referencing a joke that used to be well known but has know vanished into obscurity. Just a theory.

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:53 am

Bannedcartoonfan wrote:It could be possible that Mutton, Some Like It Hot, and Banty Raids are all referencing a joke that used to be well known but has know vanished into obscurity. Just a theory.
Well, I was actually around BEFORE Some Like It Hot & "Banty Raids" were released. There is no common joke they are referencing (at least IIRC).

Also highly doubtful that Wilder was taking a joke from the Looney Tunes. The joke in SLIH does flow organically out of Joe E. Brown's character and is foreshadowed wonderfully by Jack Lemmon's reactions earlier in the film.

Also, Wilder & his collaborators wrote many comedy scripts. I can't think of any indication in any of those scripts that he was a fan of animated cartoons or was cribbing jokes from same.

Comedy often relies on a sudden reversal of the audience's expectations - surprise=laughs. So far more likely that the slight similarity occurred because both filmmakers were following the same tried and true comedic formula.

Another example would be Bugs Bunny continuing to go after the female rabbit robot with the closing line "So it's mechanical..." (I forget the cartoon's title.)
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

Gasmask Ted

Postby Gasmask Ted » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:55 am

Bannedcartoonfan wrote:Was that insult really neccessary?

Little that is fun is ever necessary. Would you prefer "It is frustrating to multiple members that you (CF201) ask so many questions that a minimal amount of typing would shed light on, and every such question further harms your reputation amongst such frustrated individuals"? Just a bland existential statement of how the post ripples through the world, but I think my way is significantly more friendly, and is more likely to encourage figuring out how causality works and thus decrease the chance of the timeline error cropping up again (or stating "did SLIH actually take a gag from IGPoM" explicitly, it being an unlikely theory to posit, but much more worthy of discusson than the vague one posited that by its vagueness and the standard of cartoons borrowing from movies and not the other way around implies the temporal error).

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:41 am

FleischerFan wrote:Another example would be Bugs Bunny continuing to go after the female rabbit robot with the closing line "So it's mechanical..." (I forget the cartoon's title.)

In "Hair-Raising Hare" the Peter Lorre "mad scientist" character uses said robot to lure Bugs into his castle of horrors.

I agree with what you say about how the end gag in SLIH fows organically out of the situations and reactions that preceded it.

As far as any direct connection between the film and any cartoons that preceded it; I think it's simply a happy coincidence.

It would be a different story if the film had been directed by, say, Frank Tashlin; since he has been known to reuse some earlier cartoon gags in his live-action comedies.

Also, the theory about a connection between IGPOM and SLIH is supposedly Greg Ford's and not that of CF201...
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Gasmask Ted

Postby Gasmask Ted » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:03 am

Ford only mentioned the similarity. CF201 brought up the issue of causation.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”