Disney Animated Films: Robin Hood

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Robin Hood

Poll ended at Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:17 am

Excellent
36%
Average
43%
I've been robbed! By this movie!
21%

Total votes: 28

Brandon Panther

Disney Animated Films: Robin Hood

Postby Brandon Panther » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:15 am

Man, this film is one weird mamma jamma...

This is the film that showed off how much the studio was down the tubes at the time. Lots of rotoscoping, reused animation, a convoluted plot, a character rip-off (Little John obviously taken from Baloo, complete with Phil Harris).

Of course this is the film that gave us The Hamster Dance theme song.

Don Bluth worked on this film. You can see some of his work on Skippy, and his family.

While this movie really doesn't offer much, I always liked the "fight" sequence after the archery tournament, and the football ending.

I would love to know how they got Peter Ustinov in this film. Or rather I want to know what his paycheck was.

Overall, I'd say the film is a little more enjoyable than The Aristocats, but the reused animation shows the cheapness, and the plot does go all over the place, but it's a nostalgic film for me. Again, this was one of the first Disney films I'd ever seen.

And who doesn't like Roger Miller's songs in here?
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

kaseykockroach

Postby kaseykockroach » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:21 am

This movie hurts me, physically.

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:07 am

I think this one is just as bad as "Oliver and Company" and "Home on the Range".
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Gasmask Ted

Postby Gasmask Ted » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:24 am

Before I had seen a Disney movie on tv or in theaters, I had the Fischer Price hand cranked movie viewer, with Lonesome Ghosts and the archery scene form Robin Hood (and maybe one or two others, but I'm not certain; 3 little Pigs or Pinocchio maybe?). This makes both Lonesome Ghosts and that scene from Robin Hood burned into my mind as prototypical Disney, both backwards and forwards. I also had a record for Robin Hood (possibly a 7"; I primarily remember the "Robin Hood and Little John romping through the forest..." song), which only helps to underline the movie as what I think of when I think of Disney. Of course, the album of the Rescuers I had also burned itself into my brain as protoypical Disney, and I didn't have 30 seconds of footage from that to sear its image into my eye, just an album cover of a dragonfly boat.

looneytooney

Postby looneytooney » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:22 am

I watched this a lot as a kid. Today, while I love some of the real animation (especially of Prince John by Ollie Johnston), it doesn't grab me that much anymore.

wiley207

Postby wiley207 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:48 am

Count me in as one of the minority that still loves this movie! :D Robin Hood was pretty cool, and I also liked Maid Marian and the Sheriff of Nottingham, and Prince John was pretty funny (especially his big thumb-sucking bit near the end!)
As for the animation, yep, Disney pulled a Hanna-Barbera making this movie and cut many corners. They did reuse quite a few walk cycles (they can even be seen in the opening credits!), and they often kept using the same clips of the Sheriff of Nottingham repeatedly, as well as the same shots of the rhino guards marching in procession, running towards the camera, etc. You can tell Disney was having problems backstage during this period.

"Robin Hood" also had the distinction of being the first of the "untouchable" Disney movies to come to home video, the "Untouchables" including all 15 animated features made between 1937 and 1981 (not including "Dumbo" or "Alice in Wonderland," as they had already been shown on TV in the 1950s and released to video in the early 1980s, or the "package" films like "Make Mine Music" or "Fun and Fancy Free"). Disney was reluctant to release them to video or show them in their entirety on TV because at the time they believed they should only survive in theatrical reissues. When Michael Eisner came on board in 1984, he and Walt Disney Home Video came up with the idea of releasing some of those animated features to home video for a limited time to help Walt Disney Home Video become what it is today. And so, "Robin Hood" was chosen as the first "Walt Disney Classics" video title in late 1984, because during that time the film was only 11 years old, and it wasn't that popular back then (it seemed to be criticized a lot even since its original 1973 release!) So this first release was basically an experiment, and then they hit it big in summer 1985 releasing "Pinocchio" to home video in the Classics line.
I don't have the 1980s Classics release, but I DO have the 1991 Classics re-release...
...as well as the 2006 "Most Wanted Edition" DVD.

I also remember a Disney storybook adaptation of "The Emperor's New Clothes," that cast Prince John in the emperor role, but he was the only Robin Hood character in it. Foulfellow and Gideon from "Pinocchio" played the two impostor tailors, and all the other characters were human. It was both unusual and amusing at the same time.

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:49 am

Never understood the connection the studio saw between a British lord (Robin Hood was supposed to a member of the aristocracy) and the rural American Southern "bumpkin-ism" that runs through this picture.

I will raise my hand and say I don't like the Roger Miller songs. Nothing against Miller. It's just his style of American country music doesn't fit in an Old English storyline.

Frankly, I think Oliver & Company is way better than this travesty - second only to The Arisocrats as the bottom of the Disney barrel (never saw Treasure Planet, Brother Bear or Home on the Range, so I don't know where those three would figure)
"To speak without thinking like shooting without aiming." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

LooneyFan

Postby LooneyFan » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:38 am

I love this movie for a few things.

• The wreckage scenes. Just like The Aristocats, 101 Dalmations (though not much), Jungle Book, etc. I LOVE wreckage scenes from Disney. I don't know what it is exactly that makes me so fond of them, maybe the fast pace? The physical gags?
  • The songs. Just like the common person in America, I'm a sucker for Disney songs.
  • Peter Ustinov as Prince John. This is a great character with a fantastic actor as his voice.

ohmahaaha

Postby ohmahaaha » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:50 am

wiley207 wrote:Count me in as one of the minority that still loves this movie! :D Robin Hood was pretty cool, and I also liked Maid Marian and the Sheriff of Nottingham, and Prince John was pretty funny (especially his big thumb-sucking bit near the end!)
As for the animation, yep, Disney pulled a Hanna-Barbera making this movie and cut many corners. They did reuse quite a few walk cycles (they can even be seen in the opening credits!), and they often kept using the same clips of the Sheriff of Nottingham repeatedly, as well as the same shots of the rhino guards marching in procession, running towards the camera, etc. You can tell Disney was having problems backstage during this period.

They also re-used a lot of animation from Snow White during a dance sequence with Maid Marian too, didn't they?

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:01 am

I also forgot to mention, this movie has A LOT of animation mistakes. Major ones. Like at the start of the movie, when Robin and John climb up the tree, and watch the guards run off, they do NOT have any arrows on them. Then a few seconds later, John has an arrow through his shirt, and Robin has an arrow in his hat.

BEWARE OF TELEPORTING ARROWS!!!!
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”