Disney Animated Films: Robin Hood

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Robin Hood

Poll ended at Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:17 am

Excellent
36%
Average
43%
I've been robbed! By this movie!
21%

Total votes: 28

Mr. Semaj

Postby Mr. Semaj » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:37 am

FleischerFan wrote:Never understood the connection the studio saw between a British lord (Robin Hood was supposed to a member of the aristocracy) and the rural American Southern "bumpkin-ism" that runs through this picture.

That would be another case of Americanizing a European tale.

After catching a glimpse of this movie on The Disney Channel back in 1998, I finally got around to seeing it in its entirety in 2007.

Not the worst, just very mediocre.

Not surprisingly, it was made specifically to keep the flame burning during a tough time for the Disney studios. Being their first animated feature they had to approve and complete on their own, there was clearly no confidence in doing anything they hadn't already done before.
Cartoons never were just for children. And neither is it a genre. It is an artistic medium where the use of caricatures are used to entertain or educate, with animation bringing said caricatures to life.

With such contemporary cartoons as The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, and the Adult Swim line-up, it's hard to dismiss the animated cartoon as only kids' fare. Cartoons can be for anyone. It's pure common sense.

wiley207

Postby wiley207 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:54 am

Brandon Panther wrote:I also forgot to mention, this movie has A LOT of animation mistakes. Major ones. Like at the start of the movie, when Robin and John climb up the tree, and watch the guards run off, they do NOT have any arrows on them. Then a few seconds later, John has an arrow through his shirt, and Robin has an arrow in his hat.

BEWARE OF TELEPORTING ARROWS!!!!

I know; at times the movie's animation almost resembled Hanna-Barbera's output instead of Disney!

Vdubdavid

Postby Vdubdavid » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:32 pm

I've only seen this picture a handful of times, which sort of speaks to its mediocrity. But there were some bits that stuck out, like Prince John's final meltdown when he realizes he's just burned down his mother's bedroom.

Also for some reason I always liked the fact that the narrator of the piece actually got involved in the events as opposed to staying neutral. To the point where, at the climax, we see a long pan across all the subjects in jail before we cut to the rooster. "Yeah, I'm in here too!"

Mark J

Postby Mark J » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:57 pm

All I can say about this is this was the first movie I ever saw in a theatre back in it's original release in 1973. I still remember the experience of the animation on a huge screen (in color! we only had a B&W TV then) and regardless of it's quality it was exciting to see a Disney film in a theatre.

Dirty Skunk

Postby Dirty Skunk » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:08 pm

Well I like it. It was the first Disney film that I ever saw as a wee bairn and for that reason, it holds a special place in my heart.
Never really understood the criticism of this film, it's a perfectly decent film but I suspect that people are judging this Disney film by the standards that the Disney films had themselves already set.

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:27 pm

LooneyFan wrote:I love this movie for a few things.

• The wreckage scenes. Just like The Aristocats, 101 Dalmations (though not much), Jungle Book, etc. I LOVE wreckage scenes from Disney. I don't know what it is exactly that makes me so fond of them, maybe the fast pace? The physical gags?
  • The songs. Just like the common person in America, I'm a sucker for Disney songs.
  • Peter Ustinov as Prince John. This is a great character with a fantastic actor as his voice.

I agree with all those stuff, although, I still voted average. I wish someone like Les or Ward was in charge of the animated features instead of Reithman.

Glowworm

Postby Glowworm » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:38 pm

I saw it as a kid, haven't seen it since. I mostly know how the story went due to my record book version where you turn the page when you hear the cue sound.

The Whistle Stop song is indeed the basis for the "Hamster Dance"

Also, the one thing that struck me was that Prince John and King Richard are both depicted as lions--yet Richard sports a mane, John does not. Is the reason because he's rather effemine or simply childish--as juvenile lions lack manes--and Prince John did suck his thumb a lot.
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

OriginalGagBonkers

Postby OriginalGagBonkers » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:04 pm

Its one of the Disney films that I flat out dislike. I remember seeing this in my teen years around the time I was a sophomore in high-school. Some of the animation mistakes aren't that hard to see in this movie. Particularly the most notable thing about this movie is the restocked footage of animation. Aside from the Snow white dance they used, they also reused the animation from Aristocats during the dance sequence.

To me, its a complete understatement why everyone(except for Frank and Ollie) dislike this movie. I wish someone else could do the story of Robin Hood better for animation. Just because its Disney, doesn't mean the film that is based off of something is gonna be good.

nickramer

Postby nickramer » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:09 pm

OriginalGagBonkers wrote:
To me, its a complete understatement why everyone(except for Frank and Ollie) dislike this movie. I wish someone else could do the story of Robin Hood better for animation. Just because its Disney, doesn't mean the film that is based off of something is gonna be good.

Well, it's not an easy story to adapt in animation (spoofs and references aside).

LooneyFan

Postby LooneyFan » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:08 am

Glowworm wrote:I saw it as a kid, haven't seen it since. I mostly know how the story went due to my record book version where you turn the page when you hear the cue sound.

The Whistle Stop song is indeed the basis for the "Hamster Dance"

Also, the one thing that struck me was that Prince John and King Richard are both depicted as lions--yet Richard sports a mane, John does not. Is the reason because he's rather effemine or simply childish--as juvenile lions lack manes--and Prince John did suck his thumb a lot.

I cannot picture Prince John with a mane. I think the mane symbolizes true loyality, bravery, and truth for this film.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”