What Original MGM Cartoon Titles DID Survive?

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Toonatic

What Original MGM Cartoon Titles DID Survive?

Postby Toonatic » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:55 pm

All this talk about the original title cards of Tom and Jerry made me wonder; what original MGM cartoon titles DID survive the fire? I know for a fact that Puss Gets The Boot, The Night Before Christmas, Blitz Wolf (I think), the cinemascope shorts, the Tom and Jerry Gene Deitch shorts, and Chuck Jones shorts are the original titles, but what else? Anyone know?

Bannedcartoonfan

Postby Bannedcartoonfan » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:41 pm

Your just talking about about the ones that survived the fire that are in circulation. If you want to talk about ALL of the ones that survived the fire the ones I can think of right now are, The Midnight Snack, Fraidy Cat, Zoot Cat, Puss N' Toots, Wild and Woolfy, The Hollywood Bowl, The Shooting Of Dan McGoo, Mouse Trouble, and Mouse Cleaning. I know that there's probably more that people have discovered I just can't remember it right now, but honestly, I think that just about all of them are out there, we just have to look hard enough for them insted of some people who would rather sit and whine saying,"WAAAAAAAH! Why won't Warner Brothers put this stuff on DVD? I told them to do it so that means that they should! They're just a bunch of dummies who don't care and purposely make cruddy DVDs!" It's so annoying I'm gonna go out and find some myself now and see if I can donate the prints to Warner Brothers just so it will make them stop. I'm serious I'm gonna find some no matter how long it takes.

Whoa Nellie did that work me up.

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:24 am

I think most of the Happy Harmonies and Captain and the Kids have there original titles. I also guess that both of Count Screwloose cartoons have there origianals and Most of the Barney Bears cartoons. Most of the one-shot cartoons not directed by Tex Avery. But Im only guessing I don't have the list in front of me. But the general rule seams to be that more popular shorts like Tex Averys and Tom and Jerry seem to be suffering from the reissue titles syndrome.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

The Crazy HR

Postby The Crazy HR » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:42 am

Those survived the fire just because they were never reissued. Original negatives of those probably don't exist either.

Woody Woodpecker

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:49 am

The Crazy HR wrote:Those survived the fire just because they were never reissued. Original negatives of those probably don't exist either.

Thats truth, but I think that the fire is less tragic for those shorts that were never reissued than those that were. Al though picture quality might disagree with me.

How about we list all shorts that were reissued?
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:03 am

If I understand correctly, the cartoons that perished in the warehouse fire were the original elements for most everything that had been released through 1950. The warehouse fire reportedly destroyed not just the original elements for many of the cartoons, but also those for many classic MGM feature films and live-action short-subjects (e.g. "Pete Smith", "Fitzpatrick Travelogues".)

As it has been previously mentioned, both here and elsewhere, there were some cartoons that apparently were not stored in that warehouse at the time of the fire and so this is the reason why some cartoons (not all, as some people here keep erroneously thinking) in the new T&J set will have restored, original titles.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Bannedcartoonfan

Postby Bannedcartoonfan » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:11 am

zavkram wrote:If I understand correctly, the cartoons that perished in the warehouse fire were the original elements for most everything that had been released through 1950. The warehouse fire reportedly destroyed not just the original elements for many of the cartoons, but also those for many classic MGM feature films and live-action short-subjects (e.g. "Pete Smith", "Fitzpatrick Travelogues".)

As it has been previously mentioned, both here and elsewhere, there were some cartoons that apparently were not stored in that warehouse at the time of the fire and so this is the reason why some cartoons (not all, as some people here keep erroneously thinking) in the new T&J set will have restored, original titles.

One of the most famous things destoryed in the fire was the only surviving copy of the Lon Chaney film London After Midnight. Although I do beleive that another print is out there somewhere.

Steve Stanch

Postby Steve Stanch » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:28 pm

I had a print of 'Texas Tom' in IB tech with the original titles... sold it to a friend of mine, so at some point I'll get it back- and lend most likely for the next T&J set... or maybe do another fundraiser disc and include it....

CueBallCat79

Postby CueBallCat79 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:42 pm

Steve Stanch wrote:I had a print of 'Texas Tom' in IB tech with the original titles... sold it to a friend of mine, so at some point I'll get it back- and lend most likely for the next T&J set... or maybe do another fundraiser disc and include it....

Well if this original title doesn't show up in the next set, totally cleaned up and seamlessly spliced into the best print possible of the cartoon I'm going to complain every single day about how WB can do better and I won't buy the set. Everyone has to hear about my disappointment, because this is the internet.

Cartoonfanatic201

Postby Cartoonfanatic201 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:44 pm

Steve Stanch wrote:I had a print of 'Texas Tom' in IB tech with the original titles... sold it to a friend of mine, so at some point I'll get it back- and lend most likely for the next T&J set... or maybe do another fundraiser disc and include it....

What do the original titles look like? is it the same "camera pan" of the backgrounds just with different lettering, or is it something different?

Oh a bunch of early Tex Avery cartoons never got reissued so therefore there originals exist.

Examples:
Batty Baseball
Who Killed Who?
The Blitz Wolf (thank god!)
One Ham's Family

It seems to me like MGM reissued most of there series cartoons (Tom & Jerry, Droopy, Red Riding Hood etc.) although Tex Avery had a set of minor characters that appeared in series but there cartoons didn't get reissued (Screwy Squirrel, George and Junior & Spike)

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”