Can someone clarify Bugs' different model sheets?

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

matiasdf

Can someone clarify Bugs' different model sheets?

Postby matiasdf » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:44 am

Hi!

I saw a bunch of Bugs' model sheets, I'd like to know which models belong to which cartoons, you know... Bugs had a fairly interesting evolution...
Of course I'm entitled to the absolute best if I'm gonna actually pay for it.

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:45 am

Could you post pics of these, so we know the ones to which you're referring?

One of the earliest, IIRC, is either by or attributed to Charlie Thorson. I may be mistaken, but I think that one was the subject of some controversy; both here and at The Animation Show forums.

The best-known model sheets are the ones done by, respectively, Robert Givens for Tex Avery's unit and by Robert McKimson for Bob Clampett's unit. McKimson's drawing of Bugs, leaning up against a tree with characteristic, half-eaten carrot in the opposite hand, has attained an iconic status over the past 70 years.

The general opinion seems to be that it is McKimson's drawing of Bugs that codified the appearance that we have come to know and love. I could be wrong, but I think the McKimson design for Bugs was adopted for use by each of the units (i.e. Freleng and Jones), albeit with slight modifications, during the 1940's.

In the late 1940's Jean Blanchard came up with a design for Bugs that I believe was used exclusively by the McKimson unit during that period; up through the temporary closing of the studio in 1953. Arthur Davis directed only one BB cartoon, but it looks as though his unit had also utilized the Blanchard design (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) for "Bowery Bugs"
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

matiasdf

Postby matiasdf » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:09 am

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:09 am

I believe #1 is by Robert Givens.

I noticed Bob Clampett's inscription and signature at the bottom of #2; are those his own sketches?

There's a similarity to the first one in #3; which suggests it was used by the Avery unit...

The very last one, I believe, was the one done by Bob McKimson; ditto for #5. The fourth one has similarities to #5 and #6, so I'm wondering if that one was also done by McKimson. Don't quote me, though... I could be mistaken.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

matiasdf

Postby matiasdf » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:14 am

I found #2 to be an unused model sheet by Givens. #3 to #6 indeed seem to be by McKimson.

I think that #6 was the basis for "Tortoise Wins by a Hare"'s Bugs. Also the one of "Falling Hare".

Scarlet Pumpernickel

Postby Scarlet Pumpernickel » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:29 am

#2 consists pretty much of models traced and redrawn from #4.
“Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.”

--Ernestine Ulmer

looneyboy

Postby looneyboy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:25 pm

What's up with the vertically strecthed face, and the one with the lopsided cheeks?

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:57 pm

looneyboy wrote:What's up with the vertically strecthed face, and the one with the lopsided cheeks?

I think those may simply different ways of demonstrating how Bugs's face would contort when either speaking or showing emotion. They may also be drawn that way as a guide to the assistant animators and in-betweeners.

looneyboy

Postby looneyboy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:35 pm

zavkram wrote:I think those may simply different ways of demonstrating how Bugs's face would contort when either speaking or showing emotion. They may also be drawn that way as a guide to the assistant animators and in-betweeners.

What expressions are they supposed to be?

matiasdf

Postby matiasdf » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:05 pm

While the one I think of when I think of Bugs is the 1943 one, I think my favorite one is the "RABBIT MODEL"

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”