A Chuck Jones Cartoon in A live Action Jack Lemmon Movie

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Cartoonfanatic201

A Chuck Jones Cartoon in A live Action Jack Lemmon Movie

Postby Cartoonfanatic201 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:01 pm

I don't know if you guys noticed this or not, but for those of you who've seen the classic Jack Lemmon movie "Days Of Wine & Roses", there's a scene where his character's wife is watching the Chuck Jones Three Bears cartoon "A Bear For Punishment" on B&W TV. My question is was this the first time they made this kind of "product placement" for a classic cartoon? and how exactly did they do it?

drmark7

Many Movies w. Cartoon Clips!- KITTEN WITH A WHIP

Postby drmark7 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:01 am

Cartoonfanatic201 wrote:(In) the classic Jack Lemmon movie "Days Of Wine & Roses", there's a scene where his character's wife is watching the Chuck Jones Three Bears cartoon "A Bear For Punishment" on B&W TV. My question is was this the first time they made this kind of "product placement" for a classic cartoon? and how exactly did they do it?

There are definitely clips of cartoons in movies much earlier than this. (A Mickey Mouse clip in a bw Hitchcock film.)

Another contemporary cartoon clip in a 60s movie is a scene of (Tweety?) and SYLVESTER in the Ann-Margret film KITTEN WITH A WHIP. (Playing on TV as I recall.)

In the case of DAYS w. Lemmon- that was a WARNERS film. But KITTEN is Universal- I always wondered how that managed that!

J Lee

Postby J Lee » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:32 am

Cartoonfanatic201 wrote:I don't know if you guys noticed this or not, but for those of you who've seen the classic Jack Lemmon movie "Days Of Wine & Roses", there's a scene where his character's wife is watching the Chuck Jones Three Bears cartoon "A Bear For Punishment" on B&W TV. My question is was this the first time they made this kind of "product placement" for a classic cartoon? and how exactly did they do it?

Just to repost something I mentioned back in January -- If you continue watching "Days of Wine & Roses" for about another 30 minutes, "Shiskabugs" makes an appearance, when it's playing on Lee Remick's hotel room TV when Lemon confronts her about her drinking.

The interesting thing there is the cartoon was was released to theaters on Dec. 8, 1962, while the movie showed up in theaters 18 days later, on Dec. 26, 1962. So if you were going to the movies in the days after Christmas, theoretically you could have watched "Shiskabugs" before the movie, then watched Lemon and Remick watch it in the motel room during the movie, and they'd both be first-run pictures.
"Now who do I know who can write?"

-- Bluto (from "Seein Red, White N' Blue")

J. J. Hunsecker

Postby J. J. Hunsecker » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:16 am

Cartoonfanatic201 wrote:I don't know if you guys noticed this or not, but for those of you who've seen the classic Jack Lemmon movie "Days Of Wine & Roses", there's a scene where his character's wife is watching the Chuck Jones Three Bears cartoon "A Bear For Punishment" on B&W TV. My question is was this the first time they made this kind of "product placement" for a classic cartoon? and how exactly did they do it?

I think it's actually the Bee-Deviled Bruin that's playing. I remember the scene of Mama Bear collecting all the toast was playing on the TV.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7a0k5_title11_fun
"I'd hate to take a bite outta you. You're a cookie full of arsenic."

angilbas

Postby angilbas » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:23 pm

Blake Edwards used a clip from another Chuck Jones cartoon years later -- the first chase in There They Go-Go-Go! is seen near the end in Curse of the Pink Panther.

-Tony

Kowalski

Postby Kowalski » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:24 am

drmark7 wrote:There are definitely clips of cartoons in movies much earlier than this. (A Mickey Mouse clip in a bw Hitchcock film.)

You probably thought about a clip from Silly Symphony "Who Killed Cock Robin" in Alfred Hitchcock's "Sabotage"? Also, a clip from a Mickey Mouse/Pluto cartoon was used in "Sullivan's Travels", and there must be at least few more such examples in films made before "Days of Wine and Roses" but I can't remember any other right now.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”