Final Weekend for the GAC Forums

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

cbrubaker

Postby cbrubaker » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:08 pm

I have to say, it had a hell of a run. I've been hanging around since 2003, when I was only 13. And now look where we are.

Lately I've been moving on to other stuff (including focusing on my own cartoon work), so while the news is sad, the timing does feel right.

So long, and all that stuff.
My Blog - Has some stuff
Terrytoons 1957-71 filmography - new credits (updated 12-8-2010)

Prinzenick

Postby Prinzenick » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:24 pm

Well, it was fun while it lasted, but i still have an interest in classic animation all the same. I feel i need to focus on polishing my art skills as i type this.:bosko: If a forum like this comes up again in the future, you might hear from me again.

But in the meantime, so long folks, and thanks for all the dancing fish (opens umbrella and is blown away).
"I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."
--Walt Disney :rabbit:

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:24 pm

Sad to say it, but the forum's best days have been behind it for some time. That's just the way it goes now - immediacy and bite sized junk food discussions. Blogs are almost on their way out too with the emergence of Facebook and the like.

It seems like another lifetime though that the "Trading Post" element was still relevant. If it weren't for years of consistent trading with people like Jon and Larry, I'd have never amassed the collection I had. I know I'm leaving out dozens of others, but most of my trading was with them...

Through the scrapes and scrimmages, there has always been invaluable discussion and contributions from many of the members. I've pretty much grown up with this place (I first started posting in 2000), and while I certainly can't say it's painful to see it go, it's still a little disheartening.

I'm sure if you all got in contact with Steve Stanchfield, he could put you on a mass e-mail list and inform you of fundraisers that way. And hey, Welsiack Studios will still live on too. Godspeed!

Lee Glover

Postby Lee Glover » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:10 pm

I've been a member of the TTTP forms since January 2003, and never did I imagine when I joined that not only did I discover a lot more about classic cartoon history, but also my modest cartoon collection would later skyrocket via trades (which I thought would never happen to me as I'm outside the US), news of latest DVD releases, and various other contacts. I've also made some lasting friendships here, too.

I will like to offer my grateful thanks not only to all members and friends who contributed valuable and fascinating info to the forums, but also to Jon and Matt (and to my fellow moderators) for making the TTTP a big success. :bugs2::daffy:

But alas, all good things must come to an end, and I have to admit it's been difficult to find the time to moderate these forums in recent months (along with maintaining my own blog, which will close this weekend too). However, I will still be making contributions to the GAC, both on the new website and on Facebook (any GAC members are welcome to add me as a friend, but please attach a message stating your GAC username so I know who you are. Thanks!). ;)
:fox: Watch out for a crow wearing a derby! :fox:

This Blog's A Load Of CARTOONS! - Update: TV Comic - Six Of The Best: Christmas Cartoons :bugs2::daffy::tweety::sylvester:ysam::tomcat: :jerry::bbear:

King Delbert

Postby King Delbert » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:13 pm

Here is my last post on this forum. I really enjoyed my time here. Here are some people I would like to mention:

To Jon Cooke, Mathew Hunter, and the rest of you administrators out there: Thank for for starting this whole operation and thank you for getting me started on here.

To Steve Stanchfield: Thank you for all those wonderful DVDs, and I hope you can still give out information about the next releases coming up.

To The Chase: Hey, St. Clairsville, land of the Red Devils right? That's it! I had the plessure of knowing you.

To Jerry Beck: Thank you for some hints about some future releases and we'll see you on Cartoon Brew and your next apperence on Stu's Show.

To Glowworm: Thank you for the nice comment about my parents and their PACE organization. I never forget a nice complement or deed

To the guy that said I should be off the forum because I didn't care about the Eastman color: you win this one;)

Last but certantly not least, To Paulie J. Waddle: When I started on here, I figured I'd be limited to discussing classic cartoons (which was allright by me), but then Paulie came along, casuing us Phineas and Ferb fans to "come out of the closet". Thank you for letting me be able to talk about Phineas and Ferb on here and having the same love of these cartoons as well, and I am proud to call you my friend. Please keep in contact with me; join Facebook, join the Toonzone forum. I hope to meet up with you online again someday. Make everyday the best day ever, just like Phineas and Ferb.

To everyone else who's names I didn't mention, thank you too. I'm King Delbert, and I'll say it one last time (and yes I stole it from The Guy From Boston), I got the balls to say what you're thinking!

That's All, Folks!
"I've got the balls to say what your thinking!"

Geezil

Ah! Now It's Him! Open the Gates!

Postby Geezil » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:23 pm

[size=134][File under We Knew This Would Happen, We Just Didn’t Know When :( ][/SIZE]

I heartily salute you, Jon (as well as all of the GAC administrators over the years, and, not least, the small legion of animation-centric friends I’ve found in every corner of the Forums)! TTTP/GAC has been my one dependable home-away-from-home for cartoon collectors’ camaraderie since I first wandered in here, in … oh, when was that? … 1999! Migawd!!

I can only hope that at least a few GACers old or new have found some of my contributions useful (do kindly humor me and forget you ever saw that “Poll to End All Polls”… just think about the rest).

So, I now feel myself shedding a celluloid-based tear (pretending not to notice how uncomfortable that is) for the GAC, itself, that was.

And memories begin to flood the memory bank (well, what else would they flood?):

Early on, a Terrytoons-fan-forged kinship and a three-seats-at-MOMA bonding between me, Mrs. Geezil (aw, heck—Flo :) ), and Nelson Hughes, as a freshly-restored Fleischer Popeye Special unspooled …

The co-cataloguing with Emmanuel Cruz, during the waning days of WHSE-TV (Channel 68, Newark, NJ), of “Cartoon Junction” telecasts—and, several years later, in the course of my collaboration with Tom “Braymeister” Stathes, the morphing of that same project into a little something I like to call P.U.P. Toons© (a.k.a., let’s now face it, “The Even More Reclusive Step-Cousin of Cartoon Junction”!) ;)

All the great GAC commemorative events, VHS/DVD/book reviews, contests, YouTube threads, and **cough** April Fool’s stunts …

Sogturtle. Craig D. Charles Brubaker. Sumnernor. Ray Pointer. Matt Hunter. Andrew Gilmore. Martin Juneau. Leviathan. FleischerFan. AnthroCoon. Brandon Panther. And a host of other equally dedicated GACers who I deeply hope will accept my apologies for not listing them here as well. We’ve all shared a mutual respect; an open and fruitful avenue for discussion and offline swapping of scholarly or semi-serious animation information, and of hard-to-come-by cartoon compilations on DVD or VHS.

(Yes, this also includes the one misguided hoaxster who turned GAC on its ear, then and forever thereafter. At least we started off on positive footing, and that’s what will always matter most.)

Short and sweet, it’s been a helluva great run, and I know this isn’t goodbye, just so long. I’ll look forward to seeing many of you on Facebook and in other Internet nooks and crannies, and to our continuing to bring those thick toon lovers’ portfolios to the table anywhere.

Best always,
Burt
:bosko: :bugs2: :mighty: :betty: :woody: :foggy: :audrey: :daffy:
P.U.P. Toons[font=Times New Roman][color=red]© are Our Toons! [/font][/color]

AndrewGilmore

Postby AndrewGilmore » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:25 pm

Well, this sucks, but maybe I should have seen it coming. :( But hey, I've met a lot of great people here over the years, some of whom are still my friends to this day thanks to Facebook. It's been a lot of fun. Goodbye, folks.

And, since this is my last chance to use emoticons over here:
:p;):D:o:):(:confused::mad::rolleyes::cool::eek::bosko::bugs2::daffy::tweety::sylvester:shame::ysam::befuddled:speedy::coyote::beepbeep::lepew::ham::marvin::foggy::coolcat::sowhite::sniff::dodo::slow::buddy::honey::bugs1::tomcat::jerry::twoshoes::droopy::wolfie::red::bbear::mickey::minnie::donald::goof::scrooge::fethry::woody::chilly::andy::rabbit::magoo::fox::crow::sailor::betty::huey::audrey::buzzy::felix::mighty::gandy::thinkpink:flip:

Gasmask Ted

Postby Gasmask Ted » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:30 pm

I second Ken Layton's suggestion of the Animation Show: Animation History board as a rally point (at least temporarily).

http://www.animationshow.com/forums/index.php?showforum=8

Can anyone confirm the current ease of sign up? I recall it being quick and painless when I signed up however many years ago.

raginggoodfella

Postby raginggoodfella » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:31 pm

I thank you Jon for creating this site. And I thank the rest who contributed by giving reviews, posting cartoon links, warning the fans of screw-ups on the animation dvd releases, replacement program, prices, links to another great stuff( one example the interview with George F.) And I discovered Thunderbean here. I learned a lot here. I will miss this place.

Mark J

Postby Mark J » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:39 pm

Thanks Jon for all the hard work. Thanks to the many moderators over the years for trying to keep this place calm and sane. Thanks for all the information that has been freely and generously shared by so many of you. This place will be missed - it can't be replaced by facebook etc. it is unique. For 6 years it has been the first and last website I checked every day. It helped expand my toon knowledge and DVD collection. Farewell.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”