Final Weekend for the GAC Forums

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Scuz Fink

Postby Scuz Fink » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:59 am

BCDB forum isn't loading, on my computer at least.Has it gone to internet heaven?

Tim Lones

Postby Tim Lones » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:15 am

I've been reading over some of the posts in this thread last night and this morning, as well as looking through some of my own old posts over the years. I joined here August 12, 2004 which seems an eternity ago in "Internet Years".

It's hard to know where to begin. This is the first time I can recall a successful message board closing because the owner did it voluntarily rather than it dying off, being overrun by spam or just plain nastiness on the members' part (Though to be honest, there's been enough of that at times) or just because of monetary issues (Though that seems a part of the reason)

I want to mention a few people that I appreciate and have enjoyed over the years.

Geezil, Nelson, Blue Hombre and JLee. They appreciated, perhaps more than some others, my love for Hanna-Barbera and other Classic TV animation some, of which in it's own way, is/was just as "classic" as theatrical animation.

Sogturtle:Always appreciated his mostly cheerful disposition and great knowledge of the ins and outs of classic cartoons..The times he would voluntarily step away from the forums were a great loss..

Jerry Beck:One of the real leaders in animation history. I knew of him through his WB LT/MM book years ago even before the Internet and have always appreciated his insights..

Fibber Fox:Enjoyed (still do) his Hanna-Barbera knowledge and mentions of Old Time Radio and its connections to cartoons over the years.

Studio Toledo, for his friendship and relatively local connection, though I think he could stand to be a bit more cheerful at times..(hehe)

Last but not least. Jon Cooke, Matt Hunter and Thad Komorowski for sort of keeping the light on and leading the way here..

I started my own Local Classic TV/Radio blog in March 2007, adding other associated blogs, a YouTube Page and Facebook pages over time. Just this month started a message board based on the blog. I can appreciate how difficult it can be to keep things going..Especially as of late trying to build a message board from scratch..A very long, slow process..Jon, I thank you for all you've done in keeping things together over the last 7 years or more..I know it isnt easy..

And in closing, I want to thank everyone for their friendship. While I will miss this place, I look forward to future plans for the associated websites and to seeing some of you on other animation boards..God Bless you all and take care

Tim

DDC

Postby DDC » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:38 am

As a serial "Lurker", and very occasional poster I too would like to thank everyone involved for the existance of these forums. As someone who has had a very strong interest in animation for over 20 years it was a revelation to discover that I was not alone! Indeed, it is through these forums, with a special mention to Steve Stanchfield for all the terrific DVD's, that my horizons have been broadened from the more mainstream WB, Disney, MGM, to a somewhat more rounded, and complete view of animation history. A worthy experience indeed!! Will no doubt check out the FB page a little more often now.

Glowworm

Postby Glowworm » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:08 am

[quote="zavkram"].

Glowworm: You've done a phenomenal job with your CDOW's here. I hope that maybe you'll be able to continue doing those over at BCDB. Maybe Dave could even make you a moderator, if you're so inclined.

QUOTE]
Wow--it's nice to hear that. :D From last time I recall though, the BCDB had very tight categories--one for Warner Brothers, one for MGM, etc... I'm unsure if there really would be a proper place to put one.
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:36 am

Well, maybe CDOW could be made into it's own sub-category... just an idea :)

Maybe as part of the "Free-for-All"...
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

trondmm

Postby trondmm » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:45 am

Glowworm wrote:From last time I recall though, the BCDB had very tight categories--one for Warner Brothers, one for MGM, etc...

That's sounds like the classic mistake people tend to do when they start forums. They create far too many categories and subforums. The result is usually that there's not enough activity in any of the forums to reach critical mass, and after a while, users will stop using the site completely. It's always better to start with a few very broad forums, then if one topic completely dominates one of the forums, that can be split out to a subforum of its own.

Tim Lones

Postby Tim Lones » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:01 am

trondmm wrote:That's sounds like the classic mistake people tend to do when they start forums. They create far too many categories and subforums. The result is usually that there's not enough activity in any of the forums to reach critical mass, and after a while, users will stop using the site completely. It's always better to start with a few very broad forums, then if one topic completely dominates one of the forums, that can be split out to a subforum of its own.

I mentioned in my last post board above starting a vintage tv forum a few weeks ago..I am thinking maybe I have too many forums, and have already considered whittling them down a bit..

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:09 am

trondmm wrote:That's sounds like the classic mistake people tend to do when they start forums. They create far too many categories and subforums. The result is usually that there's not enough activity in any of the forums to reach critical mass, and after a while, users will stop using the site completely. It's always better to start with a few very broad forums, then if one topic completely dominates one of the forums, that can be split out to a subforum of its own.

I could be mistaken, but I think the present division of categories in the Big Cartoon Forum evolved over time. Personally I see nothing wrong with it; but that's not to say that changes can't be made... nothing is set in stone.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

The Crazy HR

The end has come...

Postby The Crazy HR » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:20 am

I also stopped posting here some time ago, but would like to make this post.

Thanks to everyone for the forums and all that has been done on the site(s). This was a great place for everything classic animation-related, with people like Jon, Thad, Sogturtle, J Lee, Jerry and countless others. It was fun while it lasted. I wasn't here much, but that's just because I didn't have "regular" internet. I did read the forums when I could. True, its best times were gone for several months, but it was still a great place.

BTW, will we be able to log in after the shutdown (just if we need something, read PMs or similar)?

didi-5

Postby didi-5 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:39 am

Sad day. As someone who has largely lurked rather than posted, I have enjoyed being here and wish Jon and the team best wishes for the future.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”