Final Weekend for the GAC Forums

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

DaffyDave

Postby DaffyDave » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:59 am

FleischerFan wrote:
Last, but hardly least, it was where I could learn of new releases from Steve's Thunderbean!

Exactly one of my concerns: How will we learn of these releases & help fund projects for Steve & others via GAC fundraising releases?

Debbie

Postby Debbie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:17 am

I'm saddened to see GAC go...I may not have always actively posted here, but I've learned a lot about classic animation here. Best wishes on your next project.

wiley207

Postby wiley207 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:20 am

That's just awful! :( Ever since I joined the GAC forums in December 2008, it's like it has become a second family to me at times. I provided some helpful information and was able to display my vast knowledge on the classic cartoon universe, and I had fun in participating several things (the caption games, the GAC Annual Halloween parties, April Fools' Day 2009, etc.) I also liked being a part of our group reviewing the new Looney Tunes Show with our thoughts.
I remember my very first post here was about my vast collection of classic cartoon sound effects (from Warner Bros. and Hanna-Barbera.)
It was also fun poking fun at the Speedy/Daffy series, the Rudy Larriva Road Runner shorts, the 1978 made-for-TV Pink Panther shorts and the Gene Deitch Tom and Jerry series with you guys. I'm going to miss this place...

Glowworm

Postby Glowworm » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:30 am

Wow--the end, I guess all good things must come to an end. Guess I'll move back to the Big Cartoon Forum (haven't been there for a while--it was a nice place too.) I feel a bit sad--especially because it had been pretty fun and I really liked doing Cartoon Discussions of the Week.
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

matiasdf

Postby matiasdf » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:43 am

Jon,

I am not gonna blame you. You've been taking care of this whole thing since ages now.

But you certainly should for the sake of us not losing this place, be SURE someone continues this. It may very well be the last thing I'm asking you to do as Admin.
Of course I'm entitled to the absolute best if I'm gonna actually pay for it.

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:58 am

Jon Cooke wrote: this weekend will be the final weekend the GAC Forums will be open.

Thanks, Jon. Thanks, everyone.

F. Fox
http://tralfaz.blogspot.com/2011/10/farewell-gac-forums.html

Sogturtle

Postby Sogturtle » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:03 am

On the day of John Lennon's assassination, his lifelong best-friend and only collaborator Paul McCartney, was asked by reporters what he thought of it... His numbed, gut-wrenching response was only three words long, "It's a DRAG!!!".

This Turtle cannot think of a more honest and straightforward response than McCartney's as this is a very similar gut-wrenching event, exactly like losing one's only real, beloved partner and sole collaborator after so many years... I've been on (or mostly on) the board since 1999...

"The king is dead... Long live the king!"
[Hoping the board is resurrected].

Thank you so much Jon!!! (Anybody wants to write to a Sogturtle then you're quite welcome)

Larry T

End of an era... as we move forward

Postby Larry T » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:20 am

Jon, I just want to personally thank you for all the work and attention you've put into making this forum the fantastic venue we have come to recognize for all these years. If it weren't for the TTTP (and starting in alt.newsgroups.warnerbrotherscartoons.org way back in the day) there is so much that I finally was privileged to discuss and experience, thanks to your efforts.

Through this (and previous) sites I have met many educated and knowledgeable folks, some right from the industry and some who stood outside the edge observing and sharing all those minute details- and it has definitely enriched my life. I thought I finally recognized kismet when I realized there was an entire population who felt as passionately about cartoons and animation as I did.... previously it was a topic I usually just kept to myself.

I want to give a shout to a few of the real standouts over this time, who, without your interactions, I would be a much less informed individual: Jon, of course; Thad; Tim; Klaus; Bart; Rick K; Andrea; Steve; Pietro; Del; Paul; Rich R; Brandon; Don; Dave; John Lee; Matthew;...

and if I've forgotten anyone, please remember it wasn't intentional... I am getting older and more senile as time goes on :magoo: ;)

I hope to see everyone make the migration over to the GAC cartoons FB page. Best wishes and THKS FR TH MMRIES... :sylvester

"Steamboating ahead to good times!"

Speedy Boris

Postby Speedy Boris » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:21 am

I know I left, but hearing the news that GAC's forums were shutting down, I had to come back for one last post. Given the circumstances, this last post will be more positive.

If it hadn't been for GAC, I probably wouldn't have sought out many cartoons outside the WB and MGM libraries. I certainly wouldn't have been as knowledgeable about animator breakdowns, music used, or the studio histories. I also wouldn't have gotten early news about upcoming DVDs before the typical online news outlets got them. It was also neat to see there were others out there who were just as interested in discussing classic animation. Really, the timing was perfect on my end. Just as GAC was formed, I was getting back into classic animation thanks to the annual Golden Collections.

This is why I was saddened to see such fighting and bickering amongst ourselves, especially as time went along. This should not happen. If anything, we should celebrate the fact that we all love classic cartoons, even if we don't all like exactly the same shorts or studios.

I'm glad the boards will be available in archive mode, similar to TTTP. There were some threads I made and participated in that I'd hate to lose for good.

wundermild

Postby wundermild » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:21 am

Sad news.
Thanks for running the site for so long, Jon. Whatever efforts you have put into this forum: it was worth it!
No signature.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”