Final Weekend for the GAC Forums

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Daffysleftfoot

Postby Daffysleftfoot » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:49 pm

Thad wrote:Sad to say it, but the forum's best days have been behind it for some time. That's just the way it goes now - immediacy and bite sized junk food discussions. Blogs are almost on their way out too with the emergence of Facebook and the like.

Wow! Facebook is like the Walmart of websites.

I'll be sad to see this place go too. I'm not exactly sure what's "out of date" about this forum's current setup. Whatever, GAC's facebook page will do for now but it definitely won't be the same.

And so another era ends.
Jesus Needs Help - buy it on Amazon as well as on Kindle.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

matiasdf

Postby matiasdf » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:50 pm

Call me crazy, but I don't get why most people see it fitting that the forums ends now.

It's not that the forum's concept got obsolete. The issue, from my POV, is a completely different one.

Face it guys, we've facing hard times.

No more Golden Collections after the sixth volume. And that was back in 2008.

The Popeye series was halted because right now Warner just can't restore the cartoons and get enough revenue to justify the expenses that would be taken. Right, that was back in 2008 too.

Do you start to see a pattern, don't you?

What did we get since then?

The Super Stars releases (which had problems of their own, i.e. the widescreen fiasco)

The Tom and Jerry set. (also with some problems, let's wait...)

What I'm trying to point out, is that the present situation, and the lack of the sort of animation releases we were once used to made it all kinda less interesting. Doesn't it make sense?

This forum shouldn't end just because of this. Better times will come for us.

If this happens to still be the end, well, I'm not gonna be the slightest bit happy about it.
Of course I'm entitled to the absolute best if I'm gonna actually pay for it.

Fibber Fox

Postby Fibber Fox » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:57 pm

Daffysleftfoot wrote:Wow! Facebook is like the Walmart of websites.

Ah, Facebook. Where people go LOL a lot and claim Wikipedia is an unimpeachably accurate source of information about old cartoons.

F. Fox
http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com
http://tralfaz.blogspot.com

Geezil

Postby Geezil » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:08 pm

Fibber Fox wrote:Ah, Facebook. Where people go LOL a lot and claim Wikipedia is an unimpeachably accurate source of information about old cartoons.

Hey, you forgot about "LMFAO" and "Click Here, We Will Not Sell Your E-Mail Address"!

Anyway, I suspect that's exactly why GAC will still have its presence on Facebook ... so we can shout out with pride: "IN YOUR FACEBOOK, WIKIPEDIA!"
:bosko: :bugs2: :mighty: :betty: :woody: :foggy: :audrey: :daffy:
P.U.P. Toons[font=Times New Roman][color=red]© are Our Toons! [/font][/color]

Timber Wolf

Postby Timber Wolf » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:16 pm

Very sad news, I wasn't expecting this to happen. It's great to hear that GAC will continue to exist in some form, though, and I will start visiting the new site when it appears. However, I won't be an active member anymore (not that I have posted much during the last few years) as I am not interested in joining Facebook. My life isn't very eventful so I don't think anyone would like to read about it and I hate the idea that everyone has to use their real name on that site.

On a more positive note, I finally bought the sixth Golden Collection and have been enjoying it. With its selection of cartoons from different eras, it is perhaps my favorite volume in the series. I know it will never happen but I am still hoping to see a seventh (and eighth and ninth...) Golden Collection one day.

I have been on GAC Forums for six years and it is the only forum that I haven't tired of after a while. I would like to thank everyone on this forum for these years and everything that I have learned about classic cartoons.

Goodbye, GAC Forums!
:(

Scarlet Pumpernickel

Postby Scarlet Pumpernickel » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:38 pm

Ouch. What an awful way to celebrate my birthday. I'm bummed. Of all the forums I've been at so far, this is the only one to be not only the place of many discoveries and insightful information - enjoyed reading the posts here, especially Sogturtle's, but it also maintained a overall high quality of all those years. I discovered the forums in early 2010 (what brought me here geeze I can't remember at all) and I pretty much matured there. Of course, the many exploits and finds from our buddy researchers and collectors exposed here inspired me to do some research on my own.
I too am going to miss the forum, which was the best classic cartoon-related one to date, and I definitely enjoyed being around while it lasted. I am starting to feel I was a little late though. :(
A BIG shoutout to Jon, Matthew, Jack T. and Pietro for making it possible, to the moderating team, to the many, many researchers who made this place a temple of historical wisdom, to the members whose posts crack me up :D and to my friends with whom I still can get in touch anyway.

Thanks to everyone here, and au revoir!

P.S. Do keep us informed of your whereabouts everyone! (especially Tim the Soggyturtle!)
(If you people still want to see rare cartoon finds to marvel at, I recommend paying a visit to Jerry Beck's Facebook page!)

To Steve Stanchfield: have you thought of another way to raise funds at the community or start a blog? We'd sure like to keep going with the fundraisers!
“Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.”

--Ernestine Ulmer

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:38 pm

If anyone is interested, I might be convinced to start a forum on The Internet Animation Database.Drop me a line if you're interested.

R. Araya

Postby R. Araya » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:47 pm

Eutychus wrote:If anyone is interested, I might be convinced to start a forum on The Internet Animation Database.Drop me a line if you're interested.

It sounds good, maybe we can gather there. Any thoughts?
The Golden Age Cartoon Forums: It's Been a Long, Long Time.

Javeman

Postby Javeman » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:48 pm

Well, I haven't been a regular at GAC in years, making very few random posts on occasion, but like the character that leaves the series halfway through but returns for the series finale, here I am.

I loved GAC and been a member since it was the old TTTP back at TZ. I loved the great community feel that came from most veteran members, and the knowledge you guys shared was great. However, sometimes discussion could get TOO heated, even starting fights between us. Like Speedy said, I also left mainly because of that.

But GAC at its best was a great place to talk about the classics, and it should be remembered for that. There were lots of great people in here that were definitely a pleasure to talk to. I tip my hat to Jon for running this site, to Matthew H. for being such a pal, to David Gerstein and Sogturtle for sharing so much wisdom, and to Larry T for being so awesome. And to everyone else who made this place what it was.

If you guys need a place to talk about classic cartoons in the meantime while a new board is found, you know you're all always welcome at the Retro Board at Toonzone. Just letting you all know.

Good luck, Jon. You did a great job with the boards.
[size=134]"Why do people care so much about signatures anyway?"
[/size]

Vdubdavid

Postby Vdubdavid » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:56 pm

Matthew Hunter wrote:I wouldn't worry if I were you, Toonatic. :tweety:

Speaking for myself, I'll try not to worry either. However, the out-of-left-field nature of this announcement still shocks me.

Like many members here, I grew up with this place. It was a refuge of sorts where I could be as big of a 'cartoon nerd' as I wanted to be and no one gave it a second thought. Visiting here has been part of my evening ritual after I've come home from a long day at school or work. And when I couldn't visit, such as when I went away to US Air Force basic training, I looked forward to the next time I could to get my daily dose of cartoon history.

Sure, there have been arguements and other rocky times, but the best of us persevered, because we love classic animation in all its forms.

Since it looks like the forums are not going to be continued (which had been my initial hope but now appears not to be the case), what's going to be the best way to keep the community together? The thought of losing contact with the people on this forum, who have been a source of fun and enjoyment for a long time, sends shivers up my spine.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”