A Sad Day for the GAC, for it is being shut down

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Studio Toledo

Postby Studio Toledo » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:56 pm

Gasmask Ted wrote:Several possibilities have been floated in the big thread.

Existing forum:
http://www.animationshow.com/forums/index.php?showforum=8

I still seem to be banned from there.

Also, we could go all retro and retake usenet:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.animation.warner-bros/topics

Funny to think we could be going back to that place again! Be like old times again.

wiley207 wrote:I know. It's like most of ToonZone's community doesn't give a crap about classic or quality animation, and the Big Cartoon Forum seems rather small and sleepy nowadays.

You see how splintered our little group is.

J. J. Hunsecker wrote:Ian, it sounds like you're going through the five stages of grief. Homer (though not a GAC cartoon character) will illustrate them for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2iWiuBi48Q

I'm passed acceptance.
- Christopher M. Sobieniak

"Listen, I don't want to interrupt your story, but is this a joke you're gonna tell me about a minority group, and after you tell it we're all gonna laugh and feel superior?"
(from "Norman Normal," 1968)

Welcome to the P.B.S.

LooneyTunerIan

Postby LooneyTunerIan » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:20 pm

Scuz Fink wrote:Jeez, talk about a late notice.I vote we migrate to Big Cartoon Forum.

I hope this board is going to be saved onto a terrabyte drive, its got a lot of good information on here that will be lost otherwise.

I don't think that's such a good idea. BCDB isn't as friendly as it was now. :/

J. J. Hunsecker wrote:Ian, it sounds like you're going through the five stages of grief. Homer (though not a GAC cartoon character) will illustrate them for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2iWiuBi48Q&feature=related

I am not. This is serious! We may never get another GAC Forum ever again!

BloodyChamp

Postby BloodyChamp » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:27 pm

Why not the BCDB? It's basically dead, which is a shame because it's where 90% of us started before we found Toonzone which produced this. We all hit the BCDB up often for facts and references anyway. I really don't know how or why the forum fell out of the picture years ago. I wonder if our old discussions are still there.

wiley207

Postby wiley207 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:29 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2iWiuBi48Q&feature=related

I think Rugrats explained it better in the classic episode "I Remember Melville." (They didn't explicitly mention the five stages of grief, but Chuckie demonstrated them throughout the episode.)

Tim Lones

Postby Tim Lones » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:46 am

Ian:
I think we all more than understand how you feel about this..Numerous posts stating how you feel isnt going to bring the forum back..Options have been put out there..Most all of us will miss it here, but the decision has been made..Time goes on..

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:03 am

wiley207 wrote:...the Big Cartoon Forum seems rather small and sleepy nowadays.

Perhaps, but I really believe that can change. From time to time I hear people knocking the BCDB because of inaccuracies. OK, fine... maybe there are some entries in the database that need fixing; but do people realize how much time and effort went into the creation of that database, and how much effort it takes to keep it updated? Is there really anything else comparable on the internet right now? Forget about IMDb... they have absolutely no clue about animation.

Someone else here put forth the idea of starting up a new website along the lines of the BCDB... well, why not come over to the BCDB instead and help the moderators and administrators fix whatever problems there might be. I think maybe the number of inaccuracies on the site have been exaggerated.

Personally I think Dave Koch has done a terrific job keeping that website afloat over the past decade.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Scuz Fink

Postby Scuz Fink » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:50 am

is BCDB forum still running? its not loading on my computer

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:58 am

Yes, it is still up and running. What browser are you using, IE? Firefox? Google Chrome? Are you sure you're typing in the correct URL?

Here's a link, try it and see if it loads for you.

Also, try going to the main BCDB website and then click on the link to the Forum on the left-hand side near the bottom of the page.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:00 am

BloodyChamp wrote:Why not the BCDB? It's basically dead, which is a shame because it's where 90% of us started before we found Toonzone which produced this. We all hit the BCDB up often for facts and references anyway. I really don't know how or why the forum fell out of the picture years ago. I wonder if our old discussions are still there.

Have you visited the Forum, lately? It's still there. I'm not sure how far the thread posts go back, though... I've been a member since 2004 and all of my old posts are still there.

Glowworm

Postby Glowworm » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:03 am

zavkram wrote:Have you visited the Forum, lately? It's still there. I'm not sure how far the thread posts go back, though... I've been a member since 2004 and all of my old posts are still there.

All my posts are there too.
"Do you smell brimstone?"-Bugs Bunny

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”