A Sad Day for the GAC, for it is being shut down

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Scuz Fink

Postby Scuz Fink » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:17 am

zavkram wrote:Yes, it is still up and running. What browser are you using, IE? Firefox? Google Chrome? Are you sure you're typing in the correct URL?

Here's a link, try it and see if it loads for you.

Also, try going to the main BCDB website and then click on the link to the Forum on the left-hand side near the bottom of the page.

I tried both firefox and internet explorer, it still doesn't load for some reason.

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:28 am

LooneyTunerIan wrote:I don't think that's such a good idea. BCDB isn't as friendly as it was now. :/

What, exactly, are you basing that on?
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Nick

Postby Nick » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:41 am

J. J. Hunsecker wrote:Ian, it sounds like you're going through the five stages of grief. Homer (though not a GAC cartoon character) will illustrate them for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2iWiuBi48Q&feature=related
That's brilliant.

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:58 am

Scuz Fink wrote:I tried both firefox and internet explorer, it still doesn't load for some reason.

Is this on your home or on your work computer? If it's at work, maybe the Forum is one of a list of "blocked" sites on your employer's server.

When you say it doesn't load, are you getting a "404 Error: Page Not Found" notification? It might be the settings on your browser. You might need to adjust the security settings so that it doesn't block access to the site.

In any case, I can assure you and everyone else that both the BCDB and the Big Cartoon Forum are indeed operational and have not gone to "Internet Heaven."
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Gasmask Ted

Postby Gasmask Ted » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:24 am

I have had problems with BCDB being able to load at various times. Specifically, I believe it refused to work from my ex-girlfriend's network. I think the problem was ultimately whatever DNS server it was using on the router. I think I changed the router's DNS server ultimately to get around that.

Ben-the-looney

Postby Ben-the-looney » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:41 am

Oh, man. And I just joined this forum a few months ago...

Bricolo

Postby Bricolo » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:44 am

Another site I love dies, it seems I m the touch of death. I wish I posted more, but certain problems in life got in the way but I always enjoyed reading all of your posts. If all of you are going somewhere, please tell me as I'd like to follow. I learned a lot about classic animation and where to get DVDs of more obscure material here. Thank you GAC.

LooneyTunerIan

Postby LooneyTunerIan » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:21 pm

zavkram wrote:What, exactly, are you basing that on?

If you ask my friend, blue-peregrine (Sterling), he'll tell you.

But he's on deviantART, so you'll have to sing up at that site to ask him what he knows.

Bobby Bickert

Postby Bobby Bickert » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:12 pm

zavkram wrote:Perhaps, but I really believe that can change. From time to time I hear people knocking the BCDB because of inaccuracies. OK, fine... maybe there are some entries in the database that need fixing; but do people realize how much time and effort went into the creation of that database, and how much effort it takes to keep it updated? Is there really anything else comparable on the internet right now? Forget about IMDb... they have absolutely no clue about animation.

Someone else here put forth the idea of starting up a new website along the lines of the BCDB... well, why not come over to the BCDB instead and help the moderators and administrators fix whatever problems there might be. I think maybe the number of inaccuracies on the site have been exaggerated.

Personally I think Dave Koch has done a terrific job keeping that website afloat over the past decade.

As I've been watching my "Sabrina the Teenage Witch: The Complete Animated Series" (Filmation) DVD set, I've been writing down the names of the characters who appear in each episode for eventual submission to the BCDB, since they just put "Sabrina, Salem, Aunt Hilda, Aunt Zelda" for every episode.

*prepares to get pelted with rotten tomatoes*

Geezil

Why not?

Postby Geezil » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:34 pm

As noted elsewhere, there's already a cluster of soon-to-be-expatriate GACers signed up at this site to get in the future's face, including yours truly:

http://www.intanibase.com/forum/

:D
:bosko: :bugs2: :mighty: :betty: :woody: :foggy: :audrey: :daffy:
P.U.P. Toons[font=Times New Roman][color=red]© are Our Toons! [/font][/color]

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”