Hold that Ghost (1941)

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Woody Woodpecker

Hold that Ghost (1941)

Postby Woody Woodpecker » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:43 pm

Well I came cross this when browsing Abbot and Costello films on Youtube has an animated opening sequence. But I don't know which studio produced sequence I would think Walter Lantz at first glans since the film was released by Universal, since I cannot find any confirmation who produced the animated sequence.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4BSwpMwT1M
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton

"I always like to do the unexpected, it takes people by surprise" ~ 1st Doctor (William Hartnell)

Gasmask Ted

Postby Gasmask Ted » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:36 pm

I think the ghost looks like it could be Columbia style.
But the non-theatrical animation studios could have also done this.

Also, you mean "glance"; "glans" is Latin for acorn. Perhaps you should do a google image search and see what pops up for how you spelled it...

J. J. Hunsecker

Postby J. J. Hunsecker » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:21 pm

Gasmask Ted wrote:I think the ghost looks like it could be Columbia style.
But the non-theatrical animation studios could have also done this.

The early Lantz cartoons were similar to Columbia cartoons in style. It wasn't until Shamus Culhane showed up that the cartoons started to improve in animation quality. I don't see why the titles couldn't have been from Lantz. The only thing that gives me pause is the timing. It seems really sluggish, even for Lantz at that time.
"I'd hate to take a bite outta you. You're a cookie full of arsenic."

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:12 am

This sounds very much like the older "Who did the animated titles for A&C Meet Frankenstein?" thread.

There's really no way of knowing who did the titles on this A&C film for certain; as any studio documentation that might shed light on this is probably lost to the ages. It could have been Lantz, or it could have been John Sutherland or any of the other independent studios.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”