The Origin of the the title "Looney Tunes"

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Cartoonfanatic201

The Origin of the the title "Looney Tunes"

Postby Cartoonfanatic201 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:56 am

Now, with the forum closing down this will be one of my last thread posts. it's the one question I think no Classic cartoon fan has ever dared to answer. what's the origin of the title "Looney Tunes"? Now we all know that the Looney tunes was the first WB cartoon series established in 1929 with Harman and Ising directing and Leon Schlesinger producing, we also know that the title "Looney Tunes" means "Crazy cartoons" and represents the series at it's prime but who came up with the title and how did he do it? (Considering that the early LT cartoons weren't necessarily crazy at the time)
Was it Harman and Ising? Leon Schlesinger? or someone else?

looneytooney

Postby looneytooney » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:11 am

It was pretty much a knock-off of the name 'Silly Symphonies'. Every studio did it, like Columbia had Color Rhapsodies and MGM had Happy Harmonies.

Cartoonfanatic201

Postby Cartoonfanatic201 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:00 pm

looneytooney wrote:It was pretty much a knock-off of the name 'Silly Symphonies'. Every studio did it, like Columbia had Color Rhapsodies and MGM had Happy Harmonies.

That's the Merrie Melodies series title that was a knock off of "Silly Symphonies", my question was about the "Looney Tunes" title origin.

Do-Do

Postby Do-Do » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:34 pm

Cartoonfanatic201 wrote:...it's the one question I think no Classic cartoon fan has ever dared to answer...

Yah, I wouldn't be so sure about that, guy...

David Gerstein

Postby David Gerstein » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:46 pm

He don't know us very well, do he?
Ramapith: David Gerstein's Prehistoric Pop Culture Blog
Virtual Inkwell | The Classic Felix the Cat Page | Cartoon Pop Music
Van Beuren's Tom and Jerry | The Winkler Oswalds

"Politics is not left, right or center... it's about improving people's lives." —Paul Wellstone

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”