Wabbit Who Came to Supper - error

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Fibber Fox

Wabbit Who Came to Supper - error

Postby Fibber Fox » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:34 pm

How does this sort of thing happen? It is a matter of someone not checking it before the final print is made?

In 'The Wabbit Who Came to Supper,' Elmer is climbing into a middle vase to get Bugs Bunny. But he disappears altogether for several frames (though Bugs' ears are still pointing to where he's supposed to be).

One of my favourite animation errors is in 'Daffy Duck and Egghead', after Egghead peers under the lake (just prior to this, the sight on his gun appears briefly), when Daffy is leaping into the air, for a couple of frames he's on top of Egghead's head, then resumes his former spot in the lake. It happened too quickly for it to have deliberately been a gag.

FF

Mr. Semaj

Postby Mr. Semaj » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:38 pm

I never noticed those errors, but they remind me of an error I once spotted in Tom Turk and Daffy. When Porky is on a snow mountain, just before he gets his first hit from a random snowball, his set of eyes jump onto the opposite side of the screen for a split-second.
Cartoons never were just for children. And neither is it a genre. It is an artistic medium where the use of caricatures are used to entertain or educate, with animation bringing said caricatures to life.

With such contemporary cartoons as The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, and the Adult Swim line-up, it's hard to dismiss the animated cartoon as only kids' fare. Cartoons can be for anyone. It's pure common sense.

Debbie

Postby Debbie » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:49 am

There is an interesting error in "Porky Pig's Feat"...when Daffy says, "You have insult me! We meet on the field of onion!" one cell was photographed backwards...This is only noticeable for one frame.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tom41

Postby Tom41 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:17 am

I've seen plenty of these errors on theatrical cartoons, and even sometimes on more modern cartoons! Most of the time whoever is shooting the cels onto film simply puts the cel in backwards or out of place before pressing the shutter button. Because they have to do it rather quickly in the limited time they have, occasional errors can slip through.

Also bear in mind that unlike with shooting onto video/computer, you cannot go back one frame to correct a 'bad' shot with film. Often the 'bad' shot had to be left in, even if the person noticed!
LT Censored Scenes archive - Click Here
(Server status - Online)

The Spectre

Postby The Spectre » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:53 am

Debbie wrote:There is an interesting error in "Porky Pig's Feat"...when Daffy says, "You have insult me! We meet on the field of onion!" one cell was photographed backwards...This is only noticeable for one frame.

You know, I always noticed that looked weird but it never occurred to me that it was a mistake. Some of the animation from Tashlin's cartoons of the time was quite strange, and I thought it was just some strange animator's idea of how to draw Daffy moving from side to side.

Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:29 pm

Debbie wrote:There is an interesting error in "Porky Pig's Feat"...when Daffy says, "You have insult me! We meet on the field of onion!" one cell was photographed backwards...This is only noticeable for one frame.

I thought that was only on the redrawn.
"The Fudd of Intellect will never capture the Wabbit of true Vision"- Rafi Zabor, Introduction to the Book of Leviathan :bugs2: :befuddled

-Kevin M

JPox

Postby JPox » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:40 pm

I've noticed mistakes like that in new and old cartoons!
There is one featured in the second scene with Bugs in "Rabbit Rampage". He falls out of his rabbit hole and as he lays on the ground, his wobbly leg dissapears for one frame.

Matt the Y

Postby Matt the Y » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:58 pm

Apparently there's a scene in "Bear Feat" where Junyer's head briefly appears disconnected from the rest of his body while doing the "balancing act" on his legs with Paw!

Studio Toledo

Postby Studio Toledo » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:38 am

Tom41 wrote:I've seen plenty of these errors on theatrical cartoons, and even sometimes on more modern cartoons! Most of the time whoever is shooting the cels onto film simply puts the cel in backwards or out of place before pressing the shutter button. Because they have to do it rather quickly in the limited time they have, occasional errors can slip through.

I'm only amused such gaffes even happen.

Also bear in mind that unlike with shooting onto video/computer, you cannot go back one frame to correct a 'bad' shot with film. Often the 'bad' shot had to be left in, even if the person noticed!

It could be very cringe-inducing though I bet to the guys who made this to shrug off. The worst one could do is to cut out that one or two frames, of course then it puts your film out of synch unless you don't fix the audio in the process (in the video post-production era of the 80's, such gaffes could be easily fixed on video as well, if or ever spotted)

Nowadays the digital guys have it WAY too easy to catch these things long before it hits the screens of America.
- Christopher M. Sobieniak

"Listen, I don't want to interrupt your story, but is this a joke you're gonna tell me about a minority group, and after you tell it we're all gonna laugh and feel superior?"
(from "Norman Normal," 1968)

Welcome to the P.B.S.

Marty26

Postby Marty26 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:34 am

There's also a small goof in Duck Amuck where, when Daffy meets himself in the next frame, you see him mumbling, "Down Here" with his lip movements totally out of sync.
"One more 'fore' outta you, and I'll give ya what for!"

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”