Help Save the Walt Disney Treasures

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Jon Cooke

Help Save the Walt Disney Treasures

Postby Jon Cooke » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:10 am

As a poster here recently pointed out, Leonard Maltin has been informed that Walt Disney Home Video presently has no further plans for further Walt Disney Treasures waves. Disney public relations personell might tell you otherwise, but a private source close to the Treasures series has advised me that the bad news is absolutely reliable as of right now.

Apparently— and here's where my source went into more detail than Mr. Maltin— the Treasures series is not being halted due to lack of public interest, nor do the most recent wave's smaller edition numbers (60,000 vs. 100,000+) reflect plunging sales. From what I understand, the smaller editions and possible cancellation merely reflect deliberate marketing efforts, so that Treasures will not sideline newer products that Home Video management wants to launch.

My source tells me that WD Treasures' demise could still be reversed; that this is the time of year when the annual wave begins production, so if a go-ahead came down from the appropriate powers on high, another wave could yet take place. My source recommends that anyone who's interested e-mail or write Dick Cook, Chairman of the Walt Disney Studios and a longtime enthusiast for the Treasures series. Mr. Cook may not yet be aware of the series' cancellation; if he is, he may not know how many fans support its continuation. He needs to be informed of both.

Dick CookChairman, Walt Disney StudiosThe Walt Disney Company
[font=Verdana][size=84]500 S. Buena Vista St. Burbank, CA 91521-9722

e-mail: [email="dick.cook@disney.com"]dick.cook@disney.com[/email][/size][/font]

Please be polite in your letters but still let them know how much you support the Treasures line and are disappointed that they may be ending soon. I suggest we request specifically that the next wave include the remaining two Donald sets; some would call two Donald tins at once overkill, but that way Donald's cartoons can at least be released complete before the series' future is threatened again.

As a final word; please don't turn this into a complaints thread about the relatively minor glitches (i. e. use of edited prints) on the most recent Treasures wave. Let's please try to stay on topic in this particular thread and focus on the bigger picture which is contacting Mr. Cook directly and making sure another wave of Treasures happens, period.

Bimbo

Postby Bimbo » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:52 am

Nice one, Jon!! :D ;)

I know we can turn this around if we shout loud enough, and I hope it's not overkill to say again here that requesting one more rareties/educational set along with the two Donald's should mop up all the remaining animated theatrical shorts and make all of us pretty happy!:)

Do you mind if I cross post your call out to other forums where I've been spreading the word?

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:50 am

[quote="Bimbo"]Nice one, Jon!! :D ]

Go for it, Bimbo! We need to spread the word. :donald:

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:54 am

I do plan on writing to Mr.Cook over the weekend, but I just can't believe the news about the end of the Treaures set.The Disney Treasures(and I think everyone can agree with me) has become a Christmas tradition for all of us and I hope that somehow Disney manages to get the other Donald Duck cartoons released.:( :donald:
"I'm Salty McGuire The Gob, You'll Always Find Me On The Job" (Terrytoons) "Salt Water Taffy" (1930)

magadizer

Postby magadizer » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:16 am

Here is the email I sent:

Dear Mr. Cook,

I am disappointed and saddened to hear of the impending cancellation of the Walt Disney Treasures series of DVDs.

I have been a faithful purchaser of many of these excellent sets for the last few years, and I now own 14 of them. I believe that Disney has a good faith obligation to the loyal fans of this classic material to release at least the remaining Donald Duck shorts, preferably under the "Treasures" banner.

Many, many of us have purchased these sets expecting that the "Chronological" Donald would necessarily complete his run. Of course there are many other releases that Disney fans and collectors would love to see, but at the very least, we feel that a implied trust is broken if the remaining Donald shorts are not released, and the work of Leonard Maltin is made to be left unfinished.

Please consider using whatever influence you are able to ensure the release of these classic works of Walt Disney, and don't leave the thousands of loyal fans and customers disappointed.

Thank you very much for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Joshua Wilson

Geezil

Postby Geezil » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:25 am

Thank you, Jon! I'll be writing Mr. Cook over the weekend too. And, for those who haven't yet seen the previous thread on this situation (all three of you, judging by the number of hits recorded there in the past couple of days! ;) ), kindly note that you'll find a couple of other possible avenues there to travel at Disney as well.

Like the man said, write politely and positively to defend our Disney Treasures!

(P.S.: In this case, e-mail is good, but snail mail is better!)
:bosko: :bugs2: :mighty: :betty: :woody: :foggy: :audrey: :daffy:
P.U.P. Toons[font=Times New Roman][color=red]© are Our Toons! [/font][/color]

MarkTheShark

Postby MarkTheShark » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:33 am

I did my part. I normally don't get involved with petitions and such, but I dropped an e-mail to Mr. Cook to support the cause. Later today I'll go out and pick up the new Treasures sets...I have been meaning to do so, but have not done so yet. No better time than the present!

I agree with you folks. It would be a shame to leave everything hanging right now, with two sets worth of Donald Duck left to go (among other things).

Not that Disney won't be continuing to mine the vaults in the future...but as cool as it is to see them release things like "Vintage Mickey" (a disc of early B&W Mickey Mouse cartoons), which would you prefer...that or two sets of the complete black and white Mickeys? It was a very easy choice for me.

Hey, if it helps, then it's worthwhile. I just told him I appreciate the efforts they have made with the series so far, I'd like to see it finish, and it would be a shame to leave it with loose ends. Can't hurt, right?:mickey:

MF TOON

Postby MF TOON » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:08 am

Done & Done!

Hello Mr. Cook,

I am writing to you in regards to a legitimate concern that I, and many others share, in respects to the supposed cancellation of the Walt Disney Treasures DVD series, that I understand you yourself are a fan and proponent of.

I am not sure if you were previously aware that this past December's release wave was scheduled to be the last, but it has been brought to my attention by the powers that be, including a dissapointed Leonard Maltin himself, that the Disney Company has decided to end the series prematurely.

Not due to a lack of public interest or reflected sales for that matter, but the reason being that the company apparently does not want to sideline newer products that Home Video management intends to launch.

This is a great disappointment to myself, and the many other supporters who have been avidly looking forward to, and collecting the series for the past 6 years. It is something that I've consistently anticipated and looked forward to enthusiastically each year.

I also feel that this a very poor decision on the management's behalf, by halting the series midway without resolving the final few volumes, and ultimately leaving consumers with inconclusive collections.

I think that this reflects quite poorly and thoughtlessly on the direction of the Home Video Department.

It was my, and many other's understandings -- that from the launch of this home video line, the intention was to offer a complete series of Walt Disney's animated short film productions to collectors in an exclusive and limited edition series of releases.

Since 2001, thousands of fans and supporters have been purchasing and collecting these releases with the idea that it would be seen-through.

Two years ago saw the release of the first (in what was assumed to be inclusive) collection of "The Chronological Donald Duck" DVD set. The title itself implies that a complete packaging of all of the Donald Duck films must have been intended, and it is what most consumers were lead to believe upon purchasing this, and the subsequent volume the following year.

As a result of the sudden termination of this wonderful home video line, consumers would now be left with an incomplete and unfinished collection.

I wanted to write to you this morning, to emphasize how disappointing and frustrating this news is to those of us who've been supporting the series since the beginning. I feel that the decision to suddenly halt any future productions at this point, is seen as ungracious towards those who have purchased all the past releases with very clear expectations in mind.

I understand that nothing lasts forever and all good things eventually come to an end, and I am exceptionally grateful for all that has been offered through these releases. It is afterall, the first time in history that collectors, film enthusiasts and the general public alike have been given access to the complete collection of short films within the Disney library up until 1946, as well as fascinating, historically-significant material and rarities from the war years that hadn't been seen by the public since their initial theatrical screenings. This is something I never thought possible!

That said however, I believe at the very least -- the proper thing to do would be to retire the series on a positive note and in good standing by at least finishing off what was started and issuing the final two volumes of "The Chronological Donald Duck" sets that were to have been planned.

They are afterall, the only two remaining character sets left unfinished.

I think it's only right to those of us who've put so much effort and monetary value in collecting the series. If a company is willing to accept payment for any product which they market and sell to a given populace, there should be some obligation to acknowledge those same people and consider their viewpoints.

Based on all the recent criticisms of the Walt Disney Company's direction in regards to it's corporate management over ingenuity and it's heritage and so forth, this just seems like yet another reason to leave behind a sour taste for many supporters, in my personal opinion.

I think the Walt Disney Treasures Home Video line was a great thing while it lasted and it's sad to see it go. I sincerely hope that you'll at least consider allowing it a proper send-off by acknowledging the final two remaining Volumes of "The Chronological Donal Duck" -- Even if that means releasing both next year, so that no loose ends are left unaccounted for... rather than ending it abruptly and incomplete.

The prospect of new productions aimed at a similar audience is wonderful and very much welcomed, but should not interfere with the completion and fulfillment of what's already been started.

I want to sincerely thank you for taking the time to read this and very much hope that it's given some thought!

Cheers and a Happy New Year,
Oliver Besner.

MF TOON

Also:

Postby MF TOON » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:19 am

If any of you have sent an email to Mr. Cook, perhaps you should also consider printing out a copy and addressing it to:

The Walt Disney Company
Attn: Buena Vista Home Entertainment
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521

C/O both:

Anne Sweeney
Co-Chair, Disney Media Networks

&

George W. Bodenheimer
Co-Chairman, Disney Media Networks

Just pop it in the mail box the next time you're out as it can only help our cause by spreading it to more people in departments that might prove effective!

I understand that most people are lazy (myself included) and when it comes to letter writing and such, most never get around to it. But in this case, the email is already typed - just print it out and toss it in an envelope - It only takes a minute!

[color=Red]PS -

[color=Black]It doesn't have to be long like my letter. Keep it short and simple if you prefer (to the point!) - like magadizer's email. Just as long as we get our message out there, because the more people the company hears from, the greater effect it will have!

Remember that as strongly as you might feel about the decision to abruptly end the Treasures series, if the company only hears from a dozen dedicated fans - they will ultimately stick to their decision and we will not see the remainder of the series completed. As film & animation enthusiasts at the very least, I think we owe it to ourselves to fight for these releases!

This could be the first and last time in history, that we will ever see or own a COMPLETE collection of shorts from ANY studio. There are still a number of rarely seen films to be issued in the Donald Duck library. Let's make sure they see a release!!!
[/color][/color]

ohmahaaha

Postby ohmahaaha » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:30 am

MF TOON wrote:If any of you have sent an email to Mr. Cook, perhaps you should also consider printing out a copy and addressing it to:

The Walt Disney Company
Attn: Buena Vista Home Entertainment
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521

C/O both:

Anne Sweeney
Co-Chair, Disney Media Networks

&

George W. Bodenheimer
Co-Chairman, Disney Media Networks

Just pop it in the mail box the next time you're out as it can only help our cause by spreading it to more people in departments that might prove effective!

I understand that most people are lazy (myself included) and when it comes to letter writing and such, most never get around to it. But in this case, the email is already typed - just print it out and toss it in an envelope - It only takes a minute!

[color=red]PS -

[color=black]It doesn't have to be long like my letter. Keep it short and simple if you prefer (to the point!) - like magadizer's email. Just as long as we get our message out there, because the more people the company hears from, the greater effect it will have!

Remember that as strongly as you might feel about the decision to abruptly end the Treasures series, if the company only hears from a dozen dedicated fans - they will ultimately stick to their decision and we will not see the remainder of the series completed. As film & animation enthusiasts at the very least, I think we owe it to ourselves to fight for these releases!

This could be the first and last time in history, that we will ever see or own a COMPLETE collection of shorts from ANY studio. There are still a number of rarely seen films to be issued in the Donald Duck library. Let's make sure they see a release!!!
[/color][/color]

Nice work, man ... I will be doing likewise this weekend for sure. LET'S ROLL.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”