Help Save the Walt Disney Treasures

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

HeavenHelpUs

Postby HeavenHelpUs » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:38 pm

I am sorry for the poor spelling. I was not aware that he was involved in such great depth behind the scenes. As for the not noticing... well, I am still in my mid-20's. So I have only had the means to collect nostalgic cartoons for a couple years. I do conceed that finding the DVDs is the collector's responsibility, but it is just that I am so accustomed to Disney being so stingy with their wonderful products! Honestly I do not blame them. It is a wise and successful business strategy. Don't flood the market and your DVDs will almost always bring you $20 as long as they are on the shelves. I suppose what I am trying to say is that I am so accustomed to Disney being "the enemy" to collectors. Then they come out with this wonderful, underpriced, possibly over-produced, set of products! I would never expect it in a million years. I cannot help but think that there is a potential market for the Treasure Series of titanic proportions! I am in my 20's and grew up on these cartoons; as did so many of the previous generations. If the average person knew that they could have ALL of their favorite disney cartoons on DVD for a reasonable price, they would sell out in a couple days, and disney would (or I should say "should") crank out lots more and we few collectors wouldn't have to be begging them now.

MF TOON

Postby MF TOON » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:39 pm

Not to mention that Leonard pitched the series himself...

And his pressence throughout these releases were a lot more informative and interesting than Whoopi Goldberg's repetetive introduction to the Looney Tunes set. He served as a narrator and guide spilling bits of information and contextualizing films and events, etc as they happened throughout the history of the studio. He really pulls these collections together in my opinion, and makes it feel a lot more personal. I don't understand how anyone could possibly find his pressence throughout the sets "annoying".

Matt the Y

Postby Matt the Y » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:03 pm

MF TOON wrote:Not to mention that Leonard pitched the series himself...

And his pressence throughout these releases were a lot more informative and interesting than Whoopi Goldberg's repetetive introduction to the Looney Tunes set. He served as a narrator and guide spilling bits of information and contextualizing films and events, etc as they happened throughout the history of the studio. He really pulls these collections together in my opinion, and makes it feel a lot more personal. I don't understand how anyone could possibly find his pressence throughout the sets "annoying".

The thing I don't understand is why isn't Leonard Maltin more involved with the WB Golden Collection series? He appears in a few documentaries, granted, but if he were more heavily involved, the GC series could be even better with a huge fan like him at the helm. I'm guessing he's too involved with the Disney Treasures collections to be able to tackle two classic animation DVD sets.

TheGreatOz

Postby TheGreatOz » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:24 pm

Matt the Y wrote:The thing I don't understand is why isn't Leonard Maltin more involved with the WB Golden Collection series?...I'm guessing he's too involved with the Disney Treasures collections to be able to tackle two classic animation DVD sets.

Maybe Warner didn't ask him...
Maybe he had a 'no-compete' agreement with Disney..
Maybe the demise of the Treasures will make him available for Tom & Jerry's Volume 3...or maybe WB's Golden Volume 5...
:cool:;)
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Jack G.

Postby Jack G. » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:07 pm

JERRY BECK wrote:It's bothers me that some fans complain about the Whoopi Goldberg or Leonard Maltin introductions without understanding that it's those introductions (required by the studio) that allow us to release these films uncut in the first place.
I've always realized why they were there.
And if apologetic introductions have to be there to get the cartoons out uncut, fine by me.

I always skip 'em when I can, though.
Never saw the Goldberg intro, I just hit the menu as soon as it came up.

ohmahaaha

Postby ohmahaaha » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:45 pm

Gordan wrote:[color=navy]I am really tired of people who can’t stop complaining about the fact that the WD Treasures series has not been advertised enough. Honestly, had you cared enough, you would have found them - not the first year, but the first month of their release. These sets were released as limited editions, nicely packaged and aimed at collectors for a very good reason. The last thing anyone here would want is to see these great DVD collections end up in the hands of soccer (in Canada: hockey) moms who would use them as babysitters. You would hear cries and screams about Mickey Mouse dancing with cannibals, Donald Duck wearing a Nazi uniform, and Goofy smoking - all over the mainstream media...Who knows, maybe these films would end up on an operating table where the “sick” scenes would end up being surgically removed from them, all for the good of innocent children (just as European censors are doing it with cigarette smoking scenes in MGM Tom and Jerry cartoons). So, if it took you several years to find out about the Treasures, then you, indeed, deserve to shell out more money for them. Tough luck...I missed Bob Clampett's Beany and Cecil DVD when it was on sale for only a few bucks. Today's lowest price for that DVD set on Amazon is $129.97. That's not Amazon's fault. It's my fault for not being more alert...[/color]

[color=navy][/color]

[font=Courier New][color=navy]And, as for Maltin, HeavenHelpUs (not "Malton")…You are entirely missing the point. No one here is thrilled to listen to his introductions and (sometimes unskippable) apologies for the politically incorrect material in old films. However, be sure that these series would have never existed if Maltin had not been there. And, even if they existed, god knows how many "unintentional" cuts (a la Tom and Jerry spotlight collection) we would be subjected to. And, Donald Duck and Goofy presented uncut and in chronological order – you could only dream about that....It's because of people like Leonard Maltin and Jerry Beck that we get DVD releases like Disney Treasures and Looney Tunes Golden Collections…[/font][/color]

Bravo, Gordan. Can't improve on any of that. Ditto Jerry Beck.

Snafuperman!

Postby Snafuperman! » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:05 pm

...complaining about 'disclaimer introductions' is petty and a waste of time...they're a SMALL concession to the holier-than-thou crowd :huey: and because of those disclaimers you get to see stuff you wouldn't otherwise...

...I apologize in advance to Leonard Maltin, Jerry Beck and any of the unofficial liaisons between THEM and US that I'm unaware of, for what I'm about to say :marvin: ...guys, it ain't directed at you...here goes...:ysam:

...DISNEY? :goof: WARNER'S? :befuddled GOT YOUR EARS ON? NO?? Well, that's the freakin' problem...

...you say there's no budget to advertise your 'non-family, collector-oriented' collections...FINE!! WHO NEEDS ONE? YOU'VE GOT EVERYTHING YOU NEED RIGHT HERE! IT'S CALLED THE INTERNET!!:foggy:

...:buddy: that's right, folks - THE INTERNET!! A place where people of like minds and interests spend entirely too much time feeding their obsessions...not true, you say? THIS IS A WEBSITE DEVOTED TO CARTOONS...THAT OUGHTA BE PROOF ENOUGH...

...HERE'S THE WHAMMY, THOUGH - LISTEN UP, 'cos this will save (and make) you MILLIONS :eek: Disney & Warners...

...get an intern - you know, one of those kids :bbear: who will take ANY job in the film industry, just to (snicker) get their foot in the door? Find one? GOOD...now, get them a little office and sit them down in front of a computer, one with Internet access (and don't cheap out on the connection speed :scrooge: this kid's got important work to do...)

...OK, everything set? GOOD...now lissen up, kid...Google your company name and cartoon...you know - "disney cartoon", or "warner bros. cartoon", etc...

...done that? GOOD...now, look for the message boards (like THIS ONE) and read what the collectors and fanatics want to buy, even if a bootleg is all they can get...this will take a while, as there are lots of these people out there, and they know what they want...anyway, do that for about a week...

...then, on Monday morning (later in the morning, 'cos you were up late bartending in your other job :slow: - the one you have so you can pay the overpriced rent in your crummy cramped apartment)...gather all of your notes, and start going through them, organizing them by character, topic, whatever - and write a briefing...YES, I know it sounds daunting, but it's not...just compile the information so you can communicate it succinctly to whoever it was that green-lighted "Cinderella 3" :( - if they still have a job...

...Then, after the report gets passed around to enough people, sooner or later it will reach the desk of someone smart enough :fox: to grasp the obvious:

THERE ARE PLACES ON THE INTERNET WHERE WE CAN FIND OUT EXACTLY WHAT THE COLLECTORS WE'RE TRYING TO TARGET WANT TO BUY!!! AND IT'S ALMOST FREE!!! :eek:

YES, folks, it really is that simple!! Want to keep your characters fresh and relevant? Don't clumsily 'modernize' them - KEEP THEM IN CIRCULATION!! Don't waste time releasing garbage :fethry: like the aforementioned "Cinderella 3" - INVEST that money into preserving your freakin' BACK CATALOG!!

...HERE'S THE THING, and I'll pick on Warner's to make an example...AT THE RATE YOU HAVE RELEASED THE LOONEY TUNES GOLDEN COLLECTION, IT WILL TAKE 14 MORE YEARS TO RELEASE THEM ALL!! :twoshoes: 14 FREAKIN' YEARS!!!

...HERE'S AN IDEA - HOW ABOUT GETTING IT OUT THERE WHILE WE'RE STILL ALIVE :magoo: AND YOUNG ENOUGH TO ENJOY IT??? NOT TO MENTION, during that 14 years, untold thousands of your fans will die off - without having the opportunity to BUY YOUR STUFF, and introduce it to the next generation of fans!!

...AND DOES ANYONE THINK THEY WON'T CHANGE THE FORMAT (OR MANAGEMENT) IN THE NEXT FOURTEEN YEARS? ANYONE WANNA BET? :daffy:

...Can the guys :dodo: running these multi-national, multi-BILLION dollar corporations REALLY be that out-of-touch? GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT - it's that simple....

...if Disney took advance orders on their tin boxes, advertising on THEIR NETWORK (free & to a captive audience), their website, and on forums such as this (again, free to post), they could pre-sell enough to do what they need to do...from reading this post, it seems everyone agrees that the series was profitable - WHAT'S THE PROBLEM HERE?? Not enough people? You're a GLOBAL CONGLOMERATE, for God's sake - HIRE MORE PEOPLE! And for God's sake hire people who LOVE the content - you've already got a surplus of clueless beancounters :droopy:

...THIS IS THE TIME OF THE INTERNET - MOST PEOPLE CAN FIND WHAT THEY WANT TO BUY ONLINE (if it's available), AND IF THEY CAN'T, THEY'LL GET SOMEONE TO DO IT FOR THEM...:tweety:

...DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY has made restoring all of these classics easier and cheaper than ever...the Internet has made it easier to reach those who want it and have money to spend!...there's simply no GOOD reason why content that's ALREADY done (you already OWN it Disney, ditto Warners!) can't be polished up and released, post-haste:beepbeep: ...get some more fans in there for input and quality control...a lot of them will work for NOTHING...:bugs1: save your 'focus-group' budget...you don't have to pay me :thinkpink to tell you what I want, when it comes to this stuff...

DISNEY, WARNERS (AND ANYONE ELSE THIS APPLIES TO) GET ON THE STICK :speedy: - IT'S RIDICULOUS THAT YOU DENY US WHAT WE WANT :sowhite: IN FAVOR OF FORGETTABLE JUNK THAT WE DON'T - that's bad business...THERE'S GOLD IN THEM THAR VAULTS - but only if it sees the light of day!!

Madison Carter

Postby Madison Carter » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:35 am

HeavenHelpUs wrote:Finally, the person who chose some of the topics for the Treasures line should be "drug out in the street and shot". Just think, instead of: Davy Crockett, Disneyland USA, Tomorrowland, Swamp Fox, Spin and Marty, Mickey Mouse Club, & Hardy Boys we could have possibly had the ENTIRE Disney Cartoon Vault!

That's a bit harsh.

Personally, I quite enjoy the mixture of the shorts and live-action sets in the collection.
http://www.popsyndicate.com

"Something is definitely wrong! Ain't right! It's wrong!" - Popeye in "Popeye the Sailor Meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves"

millsie

Postby millsie » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:03 am

HeavenHelpUs wrote:I believe they should have put a little more into advertising. I mean I don't need to see full page adds or flashing neon lights, but I was unaware of the Treasures line until this past holiday season! RATS. I am having to pay some terrible prices on ebay to get my collection. (in fact, I opted to buy Silly Symphonies, and the 2 Color Mickey's from the UK on sale for 10 bucks each! and then get a multi-region DVD player because it was cheaper! Had I know I could have gotten a Complete Goofy for $25 bucks a couple years ago instead of $100 now I would have.
Also, if it comes down to No Leonard Malton or No More Treasures, then forget Malton! Don't get me wrong, he is cool, but I just want to watch the darn cartoons! I actually resent the setup of the treasures line sometimes... When you watch a movie, do you always want to see the director or producer talk about it and a little making of featurette EVERY time you put the movie in? No. All of that should be a option for viewing.
Finally, the person who chose some of the topics for the Treasures line should be "drug out in the street and shot". Just think, instead of: Davy Crockett, Disneyland USA, Tomorrowland, Swamp Fox, Spin and Marty, Mickey Mouse Club, & Hardy Boys we could have possibly had the ENTIRE Disney Cartoon Vault!
I am sorry for ranting, being a downer, ragging on Malton, and getting off topic, but I just fear that people may have ruined my only affordable shot at owning all of the cartoons I have wanted all my life.

Firstly I think that Leonard Maltin has done an excellent job with the Treasures and if it wasn't for him and Roy Disney, there would have been no Treasures line at all.

Secondly, you complain about the Treasures not being well advertised and you not discovering them until recently. As a result you have had to buy some Treasures from ebay and purchase a multi-region dvd player. Boo Hoo! You should realise how lucky you are that you get the Treasures (and Looney Tunes Golden Collections) released in your part of the world. Those of us who are classic cartoon fans and live outside of North America have no choice but to purchase our discs from Amazon and Ebay. If you shop around on Ebay you can still find a bargain. I purchased Goofy for just $AUD75 including postage, which would probably be about US$60. Sure it is about double the original price, but I think it is worth it. So far only four Treasures have been released in Australia and only the first two sets of the LTGC. I doubt that we will be getting :droopy:, :sailor: or :woody: released here, which is why I will be purchasing them from Amazon. (I already have Droopy on preorder) I doubt that any future Treasures or LTGC will be released in this 1/2 of the world, so I have no choice.

You also comment on the no-cartoon Treasures and think that they are a stupid idea. I strongly disagree. I am interested in Davy Crockett, whilst I know that my Dad in particular has very fond memories of that show and Swamp Fox. I know that their are lots of fans of the other shows too.

mikematei

Postby mikematei » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:49 am

So what's the status with the treasures? Any news? :donald:

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”