Official Tex Avery's Complete Droopy DVD Talkback Thread

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

FleischerFan

Hello, All You Happy People!

Postby FleischerFan » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:20 am

I bought this set when it was released, but I like to watch these things in smaller doses, so I'm just getting around to commenting now that I've worked my way through the set.

Of course, this should be a "must-have" item for any fan of Golden Age cartoons. It also provides a quick crash course in the evolution of the theatrical cartoon as the relatively small number of Droopy's released over the years allow you to witness the changes in character design and backgrounds that animation went through in the 40's and 50's.

Yes, even I noticed the DVNR - and I am usually totally oblivious to stuff like that. However, I AM a "glass half full" kind of guy - so I'd still rather have this set than no set at all. If your goal is perfection or nothing, I fear you will be doomed to a lifetime of anger and frustration. But, to each his own.

As the DVNR is really noticeable in only a small number of the total collection and those moments are fleeting. I have sat back and laughed out loud many, many times while seeing some titles that I hadn't seen in years.

I also seemed to notice a problem with one of the soundtracks. I think it was "Millionaire Droopy" (but I'm not totally sure). Anyway, the soundtrack sounds a bit muddy in the beginning with the background music and sound effects coming through at a higher level than the dialog. As the cartoon progresses, the problems seemed to correct itself. Anybody else notice the same thing?

All I can say is that I hope the sales of this set will finally result in the Complete Tex Avery set we have al been dreaming of.

As much as I'd love to own these cartoons, I refuse to support this process and will not be buying this DVD.

Hopefully Warner Bros. will smarten up and release a complete MGM Tex Avery Collection with brand new transfers, sans-DVNR, which is what we've been asking for all along anyway.
I understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately, the mindset of the suits doesn't work the way you wish it would.

If everyone adopted your attitude, the suits would NOT conclude that they need to release a better produced Avery set. What they would conclude is that Droopy cartoons (and hence most of the rest of the MGM library) had no commercial appeal. The end result would be no further releases of any kind.

I think $18 for what you get is more than a fair bargain - and better sales will convince the suits that there is a market for this stuff and it deserves an "A-List" treatment.

Anyway, that just my two cents worth.

sumnernor

Postby sumnernor » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:05 pm

I bought Droopy at J&R in NYC when I was there. I will add a comment about the DNVR. When I load the 1st or 2nd Droopy DVD - the screen is displayed with something in Japanese???? Then the disclaimer about "impropper" cartoons. Did other people get the Japanese???

Chooch

Postby Chooch » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:18 pm

sumnernor wrote:
When I load the 1st or 2nd Droopy DVD - the screen is displayed with something in Japanese???? Then the disclaimer about "impropper" cartoons. Did other people get the Japanese???

Yeah, mine does that too (believe it's the 2nd disc that does it.) Anyway, my girlfriend is Japanese so it's appropriate for the times when we watch it together.

Snafuperman!

Postby Snafuperman! » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:20 am

Does anyone know the name of the tune the wolf is whistling, in the Michael Lah cartoons?

J Lee

Postby J Lee » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:01 am

Snafuperman! wrote:Does anyone know the name of the tune the wolf is whistling, in the Michael Lah cartoons?

It's "[size=-1]Year of Jubilo" a Civil War-era song. He also whistles it in Avery's "Three Little Pups" and "Billy Boy".

[/size]
"Now who do I know who can write?"

-- Bluto (from "Seein Red, White N' Blue")

Snafuperman!

Postby Snafuperman! » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:05 am

thanks!!:daffy:

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”