Hanna-Barbera Comics: Best & Worst

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Daws Butler Jr.

Postby Daws Butler Jr. » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:44 pm

TheBlueHombre wrote:As I have stated before, I thought the run of H-B comics with Archie was one of the best. Do you know of any details as to why DC did not want to use you or some of the other talented writers from the Archie run? Were you privy to any of the discussions concerning the H-B comics at DC and why they did the stories that they did do? How well did they sell for Archie and DC?

Since this thread got bumped, I just noticed that I never answered this.

I think the main reason that I never got to write for them is that they were trying to make the characters "hip" and appeal to a new market, forsaking the real fans. I don't have any specific sales figures, but I gather that the DC line was not successful at all.

I never understand why they try to update characters. Who does that appeal to? The kids don't care because they don't remember the originals and the fans hate it because it's not the way they remember them. So, who is the target audience? Why not just create new characters instead of ruining old ones?

But then, "Alvin and the Chipmunks" made buckets of money, so I guess I don't know what I'm talking about.
DB Jr. :chilly:

JPox

Postby JPox » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:15 pm

Daws Butler Jr. wrote:But then, "Alvin and the Chipmunks" made buckets of money, so I guess I don't know what I'm talking about.

LOL
According to most reviews I read, people thought that movie was "cute".
It may not be the Chipmunks I remember, but I guess chipmunks singing popular songs will ultimately be considered adorable.

Acme

Postby Acme » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:13 pm

TheBlueHombre wrote:They published, of course, Scooby-Doo which is still being published. They had one called "The Flintstones and the Jetsons" that featured the main story one month being the Bedrock Bunch and the next month featuring the First Family of the Future.

There was a third title, "Cartoon Network Presents" and this was a wild one. It had stories like "Magilla's Guerillas" and a piece about Ranger Smith, Mr. Twiddle and Mr. Peebles enjoying coffee with the heads of Yogi Bear, Magilla Gorilla and Wally Gator hanging on the wall There was one Huckleberry Hound story called "War Is Huck" and it was about Mr. Hound trying to infest Iraq with a certain bug to sabotage their defense system (I kid you not). Originally the title was going to be "Gulf War Huck." However, President Clinton started firing on Iraq about two weeks before the comic went to the stands. The title was delayed for about two to three weeks so they could change the title of the story to "War Is Huck."

When "Cartoon Network Presents" had come close to its finish, they started publishing good stories with Quick Draw McGraw and "Yogi's Treasure Hunt." I think they also did one with Wacky Rces.

The Flintstones got cancelled real fast and "Cartoon Network Presents" lasted 21 issues before the Jonny Bravos, Dexters and others started taking over the title. In my opinion, it was not as good on the stories as the run with Archie Comics.

If I'm ambitious over the weekend (and don't count on that), I'll see if I can scan some pages onto the site . . . but don't hold your breath.

Dell Comics Fan

Postby Dell Comics Fan » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:25 am

Yeah, I have that issue. Interestingly, that is the only comic book (to my

knowledge) that ever featured Major Minor (Snagglepuss' adversary in many of
the animated cartoons) and Chief Crazy Coyote (Huckleberry Hound's foe);
although they only appear in brief cameos.

rodinei1964

Harvey's Hanna-Barbera comics also had funny covers

Postby rodinei1964 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:37 pm

São Paulo - SP, Brazil, January 28, 2008.

Hello, Howie Fein, Blue Hombre, Daws Butler Jr. and friends from GAC!

I was reading about your commentaries about the Harvey Comics' (http://www.harvey.com) Hanna-Barbera period (1992-94), and I could notice that the Hanna-Barbera comics from this Harvey period, had funny covers.
And here's one of them: it's the cover from the almanac Hanna-Barbera Giant Size #1 (collectors' issue [Harvey Comics, October 1992]). On it, we see Fred, Dino and all that batch of Hanna-Barbera classical characters (Yogi Bear, Boo Boo, Huckleberry Hound, Yakky Doodle, Quick Draw McGraw, Baba Looey, Augie Doggie, Magilla Gorilla, Snagglepuss, Wally Gator, Touché Turtle and Dum Dum) having fun on the giant rollercoaster. The cover is the following:

And here's the opposite cover:

We cannot forget that Hanna-Barbera also produced some cartoon series in association with Harvey Comics. The series which involving the Harvey characters are the following: Casper and the Angels (1979), which's set into a future à la Jetsons, where we found the friendly ghost acompaining the patrol girls Maxie and Minnie, and Hairy Scary (a hairy ghost, who's a real clown) who, toghether, form a real crime-fighting squad; and Richie Rich (1980-82), who brings the world's richest boy and all that cast we know from the comic books (his girlfriend Gloria, Cadbury the butler, his pet dog Dollar, Richard & Regina Rich [his parents], Irona the robot maid [known here in Brazil as Sandra], his trouble-making cousin Reggie Van Dough, etc.).
Well, this was what I've had to report here.
Have some fun with this cover!
Tchau!

Cheers from this faithful friend who always writes 4 U,

Rodinei Campos da Silveira (from São Paulo, Brazil)
You're always welcome!

ALL HAIL THE HANNA-BARBERA FAMILY!

HANNA-BARBERA - 50 YEARS OF YOGI BEAR & HUCKLEBERRY HOUND - 40 YEARS OF WACKY RACES

Attention, HB-fans! Enjoy to visit the Hanna-Barbera official site (http://hanna-barbera.com) and have some fun!

IN MEMORIAN OF WILLIAM HANNA & JOSEPH BARBERA

;)
Last edited by rodinei1964 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:52 am, edited 4 times in total.

rodinei1964

A Christmas souvenir for you from GAC!

Postby rodinei1964 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:39 pm

São Paulo - SP, Brazil, December 22, 2008 (The Summer arrived here in Brazil! 3 days remaining for the Christmas!).

Hello, Howie Fein, Daws Butler Jr., Blue Hombre, friends from GAC and HB-fans from the Americas and the whole world!

I have a Christmas souvenir for all of you!
It's a cover from a special giant size comic book, which's a Flintstones' Christmas special edition which was originally published there in the USA by Marvel Comics (http://www.marvel.com) in December 1977, titled The Flintstones Christmas Party, which reunites the Flintstones, the Jetsons and all that bunch of Hanna-Barbera classical characters (among them: Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw, Magilla Gorilla, Snagglepuss, Wally Gator, Hong Kong Phooey and many, many others).
And here's the cover (which's wonderful):

Well, I hope that you appreciate this wonder.
That's it!
I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy 2009 full of hopes and happiness!

These are the vows from this friend who always writes 4 U,

You're always welcome!

HANNA-BARBERA - 50 YEARS OF YOGI BEAR & HUCKLEBERRY HOUND

Attention, HB-fans! Enjoy to visit the Hanna-Barbera official site (http://hanna-barbera.com) and have some fun!

;)
Last edited by rodinei1964 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBlueHombre

Postby TheBlueHombre » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:20 am

rodinei1964 wrote:São Paulo - SP, Brazil, December 22, 2008 (The Summer arrived here in Brazil! 3 days remaining for the Christmas!).

Hello, Howie Fein, Daws Butler Jr., Blue Hombre, friends from GAC and HB-fans from the Americas and the whole world!

I have a Christmas souvenir for all of you!
It's a cover from a special giant size comic book, which's a Flintstones' Christmas special edition which was originally published there in the USA by Marvel Comics (http://www.marvel.com) in December 1977, titled The Flintstones Christmas Party, which reunites the Flintstones, the Jetsons and all that bunch of Hanna-Barbera classical characters (among them: Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw, Magilla Gorilla, Snagglepuss, Wally Gator, Hong Kong Phooey and many, many others).
And here's the cover (which's wonderful):

Well, I hope that you appreciate this wonder.
That's it!
I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy 2009 full of hopes and happiness!

These are the vows from this friend who always writes 4 U,

You're always welcome!

;)

I have that oversized comic book. I remember when it came out and I bought it off of the rack. It's still a good comic to read. Thanks for the memory, Rodinei.

rodney

Postby rodney » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:56 am

I ran a Pixie and Dixie story on my blog not too long ago.

comicsnstories.blogspot.com

rodinei1964

More covers from the Harvey's Hanna-Barbera period

Postby rodinei1964 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:52 pm

São Paulo - SP, Brazil, January 13, 2009.

Hello, Howie Fein, Blue Hombre, Daws Butler Jr. and friends from GAC!

Here are more cool covers from the Harvey Comics' (http://www.harvey.com) Hanna-Barbera period (1992-94, which coincided with the Cartoon Network's première, there in the USA, in 1992).
The following covers are from the Hanna-Barbera Giant Size comic book, that Harvey Comics published in 1992 and 1993 (when Cartoon Network arrived here in Brazil and on the rest of Latin America):

- Hanna-Barbera Giant Size #2 (November 1992)
Image Image

Here are the Hanna-Barbera characters featured on the covers from this issue:
  • Front cover: Fred Flintstone, on the first plan. On the screens shown on the background, a variety of the Hanna-Barbera classical characters, such as: Top Cat, Magilla Gorilla, Yakky Doodle & Chopper, Snooper & Blabber, Huckleberry Hound, George Jetson, Quick Draw McGraw, Lippy the Lion, Peebles & Dino, Yogi Bear, Mr. Jinks (where are the Meeces?), Wally Gator and Auggie Doggie. This front cover reminds very much the good times from the Cartoon Network/Boomerang line-up.
  • Opposite cover: They're all in the parade: Fred Flintstone (wearing the buffalo-leathered helmet from the Loyal Order of the Water Buffaloes), Yogi Bear, Yakky Doodle, Boo Boo, Huckleberry Hound, Blabber, Snagglepuss, Quick Draw McGraw, Augie Doggie, George Jetson, Elroy and Astro.
- Hanna-Barbera Giant Size #3 (October 1993)
Image Image

And here's a cover from another Hanna-Barbera comic book published by Harvey Comics: Hanna-Barbera Big Book #1 (June 1993):

Here are the Hanna-Barbera characters featured on this cover: Fred Flintstone, Scooby-Doo, Dino, Yogi Bear, Boo Boo, Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw, Magilla Gorilla, Augie Doggie & Doggie Daddy, who are having fun on a sledge.

Here are two covers of two titles from The Flintstones, which were published by Harvey Comics in 1992:

The Flintstones Giant Size #1 (October 1992). I saw this cover on a news stand here in São Paulo.

The Flintstones Big Book #1 (November 1992)

Later I'll include more cool Hanna-Barbera covers from Harvey comics for you!
Wait for me!
Tchau!

Cheers from this faithful friend who always writes 4 U,

You're welcome!

ALL HAIL THE HANNA-BARBERA FAMILY!

HANNA-BARBERA - 50 YEARS OF QUICK DRAW McGRAW - 40 YEARS OF SCOOBY-DOO - 30 YEARS OF SCRAPPY-DOO

;)

zavkram

Postby zavkram » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:21 am

I never read much of these adaptations when I was a kid... I remember seeing a few of the Charlton versions of Yogi Bear and The Flintstones and thinking, at the time, about how ugly the characters looked in those.

Sorry to go OT here, but for me the Gold Key Bugs Bunny comic books were a different story... I always enjoyed those. In fact, I think many of those comic book stories would be excellent for adaptation as new Looney Tunes cartoons.
This post is brought to you by "Raisin d'etre", the delicious, high-fiber breakfast cereal for existentialists.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”