Hanna-Barbera Comics: Best & Worst

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

JPox

Postby JPox » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:15 pm

You know, I must have blinked when DC was handling Hanna Barbera books.
I collected comics alot, but these escaped me somehow. What other titles did they publish? Does anyone have any other pages/artwork to show?

TheBlueHombre

Postby TheBlueHombre » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:38 pm

JPox wrote:You know, I must have blinked when DC was handling Hanna Barbera books.
I collected comics alot, but these escaped me somehow. What other titles did they publish? Does anyone have any other pages/artwork to show?

They published, of course, Scooby-Doo which is still being published. They had one called "The Flintstones and the Jetsons" that featured the main story one month being the Bedrock Bunch and the next month featuring the First Family of the Future.

There was a third title, "Cartoon Network Presents" and this was a wild one. It had stories like "Magilla's Guerillas" and a piece about Ranger Smith, Mr. Twiddle and Mr. Peebles enjoying coffee with the heads of Yogi Bear, Magilla Gorilla and Wally Gator hanging on the wall There was one Huckleberry Hound story called "War Is Huck" and it was about Mr. Hound trying to infest Iraq with a certain bug to sabotage their defense system (I kid you not). Originally the title was going to be "Gulf War Huck." However, President Clinton started firing on Iraq about two weeks before the comic went to the stands. The title was delayed for about two to three weeks so they could change the title of the story to "War Is Huck."

When "Cartoon Network Presents" had come close to its finish, they started publishing good stories with Quick Draw McGraw and "Yogi's Treasure Hunt." I think they also did one with Wacky Rces.

The Flintstones got cancelled real fast and "Cartoon Network Presents" lasted 21 issues before the Jonny Bravos, Dexters and others started taking over the title. In my opinion, it was not as good on the stories as the run with Archie Comics.

If I'm ambitious over the weekend (and don't count on that), I'll see if I can scan some pages onto the site . . . but don't hold your breath.

Daws Butler Jr.

Postby Daws Butler Jr. » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:32 pm

Yikes! I can't believe there was a "Yogi's Treasure Hunt" comic and I didn't know about it, since I wrote a bunch of the cartoons. Of course, that was before I had written any comic books.

The one panel that was posted looks like it was an adaptation of one of the cartoons. Does anyone know if it was?
DB Jr. :chilly:

JPox

Postby JPox » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:21 pm

Daws Butler Jr. wrote:Yikes! I can't believe there was a "Yogi's Treasure Hunt" comic and I didn't know about it, since I wrote a bunch of the cartoons. Of course, that was before I had written any comic books.

The one panel that was posted looks like it was an adaptation of one of the cartoons. Does anyone know if it was?

When was Treasure Hunt produced? I have a VHS with some episodes on it, but I don't recall this on any local television stations.
Besides LT, what other comics have you written for Daws?

Daws Butler Jr.

Postby Daws Butler Jr. » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:22 pm

JPox wrote:When was Treasure Hunt produced? I have a VHS with some episodes on it, but I don't recall this on any local television stations.
Besides LT, what other comics have you written for Daws?

I wrote a lot of the Hanna-Barbera titles for Archie, when they were publishing them. I've also written Scooby-Doo for DC and The Simpsons and Bart Simpson for Bongo.
DB Jr. :chilly:

TheBlueHombre

Postby TheBlueHombre » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:31 pm

Daws Butler Jr. wrote:I wrote a lot of the Hanna-Barbera titles for Archie, when they were publishing them. I've also written Scooby-Doo for DC and The Simpsons and Bart Simpson for Bongo.

As I have stated before, I thought the run of H-B comics with Archie was one of the best. Do you know of any details as to why DC did not want to use you or some of the other talented writers from the Archie run? Were you privy to any of the discussions concerning the H-B comics at DC and why they did the stories that they did do? How well did they sell for Archie and DC?

FleischerFan

Postby FleischerFan » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:08 am

While the list of H-B publishers is impressive, there are at least two other animation studios that racked up quite a few publishers over the years...

Terrytoons
1. Timely
2. St. John
3. Pines
4. Dell (Mighty Mouse in Outer Space)
4. Gold Key
5. Marvel (New Adventures of Mighty Mouse)
6. Spotlight
7. Malibu (Video Classics)

Disney
1. Dell
2. Gold Key
3. Gladstone
4. Disney Comics
5. Marvel
6. Acclaim
7. Dark Horse
8. Gemstone
9. Eclipse (Captain EO)

And of course, the notorious un-authorized Mickey Mouse comics published by Eternity (reprinting early Mickey comic strips) and by Dan O'Neill and the Air Pirates (featuring their own takes on the classic characters).

If you wanted to get technical, during the Dell-Gold Key run, Western Publishing also brought out comics under the Whitman and Western Publishing brands as well.

I think you could come up with a pretty good list for Felix the Cat as well. I don't know if Felix would qualify as a "studio," but he is a cartoon star.

So, H-B not alone in the multiple publishers category.

AardvarkDog

Postby AardvarkDog » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:51 am

TheBlueHombre wrote:There was a third title, "Cartoon Network Presents" and this was a wild one. It had stories like "Magilla's Guerillas" and a piece about Ranger Smith, Mr. Twiddle and Mr. Peebles enjoying coffee with the heads of Yogi Bear, Magilla Gorilla and Wally Gator hanging on the wall.

I remember the "Magilla's Guerillas" comic. It was different and featured some main HB Monkeys at the time. Although the latter sounds pretty gruesome :eek:

Daws Butler Jr. wrote:Yikes! I can't believe there was a "Yogi's Treasure Hunt" comic and I didn't know about it, since I wrote a bunch of the cartoons. Of course, that was before I had written any comic books.

Do you know, I just remembered that comic. It was printed in a Cartoon Network comic a looooong time ago. It was called "The Murgatroid Asteroid" - the gang are called to stop an Asteriod from hitting Earth, only to discover that it's made out of gold. when Dick Dastardly hears of this, he tries to claim the gold for himself, only to wreck both their ships in the process. It's then that they discover that the "gold" is actually pyrate (fool's gold) and so decide to work together to save the planet, which they suceed in doing so.

They've got no treasure this time, but instead a nice box of medals anyway. Although Dick would have preferred gold anytime! :D

I think that's what happens but it's been an age since I last read that comic myself.
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]
"Ohhhh, dear...Ohhhh, my..."

[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]

Geezil

Postby Geezil » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:06 pm

FleischerFan wrote:Terrytoons
1. Timely
2. St. John
3. Pines
4. Dell (Mighty Mouse in Outer Space)
4. Gold Key
5. Marvel (New Adventures of Mighty Mouse)
6. Spotlight
7. Malibu (Video Classics)

During its waning days (1962-72), Dell also launched a full-fledged Mighty Mouse title, plus a somewhat shorter-lived Mighty Heroes series (the latter of which included a pre-1962 MM reprint tale in every issue as well).
:bosko: :bugs2: :mighty: :betty: :woody: :foggy: :audrey: :daffy:
P.U.P. Toons[font=Times New Roman][color=red]© are Our Toons! [/font][/color]

rodinei1964

Bill Wray and Hanna-Barbera

Postby rodinei1964 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:16 pm

São Paulo - SP, Brazil, January 16, 2008.

Hello, friends from GAC and HB-fans from the whole world!

I've seen the Jetsons comics which Bill Wray drew for DC Comics. And I thought very funny, by the way.
Alias, there's many time which Bill Wray is very involved with Hanna-Barbera. In comics, animation and much more.
Do you remember of a short which he directed for Hanna-Barbera in 1999, titled King Crab?
Very well, this toon have been aired in Cartoon Network (http://www.cartoonnetwork.com). And I watched it.
In 1996, he made the cover from the Hanna-Barbera songbook. I could recognize it to his drawing style. Here's the cover:

This was what I've had to report about the Bill Wray's works on Hanna-Barbera (including the comic books).
Well, that's it!
Tchau!

Cheers from this faithful friend who always writes 4 U,

Rodinei Campos da Silveira (from São Paulo, Brazil)
You're always welcome!

ALL HAIL THE HANNA-BARBERA FAMILY!

HANNA-BARBERA - 50 YEARS OF YOGI BEAR & HUCKLEBERRY HOUND

Attention, HB-fans! Enjoy to visit the Hanna-Barbera official site (http://hanna-barbera.com) and have some fun!

IN MEMORIAN OF WILLIAM HANNA & JOSEPH BARBERA

;)

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”