Hanna-Barbera Comics: Best & Worst

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

David Gerstein

Postby David Gerstein » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:03 am

Locally produced H-B in overseas comics? How about Yogi Bear drawn by Disney's Romano Scarpa? Hey there, Ranger—there's nothing stranger!

Ramapith: David Gerstein's Prehistoric Pop Culture Blog
Virtual Inkwell | The Classic Felix the Cat Page | Cartoon Pop Music
Van Beuren's Tom and Jerry | The Winkler Oswalds

"Politics is not left, right or center... it's about improving people's lives." —Paul Wellstone

Alf

Postby Alf » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:14 am

You can read here online a 1964 issue of U.K.´s Huckleberry Hound Weekly:
http://www.animationarchive.org/2006/05/media-huckleberry-hound-weekly-1964.html

Daws Butler Jr.

Postby Daws Butler Jr. » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:08 pm

[quote="Alf"]By the way, Daws Butler Jr., the comic book in which Loopy de Loop appeared was called Hanna-Barbera Bandwagon. This was not Loopy´s only appearances in comic books]

Of course it was "Bandwagon". What a boneheaded mistake that was on my part! Thanks for the correction. As I was typing "Parade", it crossed my mind that might not be right, but then I dismissed that thought. D'oh!

Anyway, I didn't know about the British Comics as I never collected those.
DB Jr. :chilly:

Mark J

Postby Mark J » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:22 pm

Daws Butler Jr. wrote:I like that one alot, but I think I have a tie for my favorite books... "Yogi Bear Visits the U.N." and "The Flintstones Go To the World's Fair". I read both of those a million times when I was a kid.

The Flintstones Go to the World's Fair was my favorite when I was a kid!! I still have it somewhere in my garage.

TheBlueHombre

Postby TheBlueHombre » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:47 pm

Daws Butler Jr. wrote:Of course it was "Bandwagon". What a boneheaded mistake that was on my part! Thanks for the correction. As I was typing "Parade", it crossed my mind that might not be right, but then I dismissed that thought. D'oh!

Anyway, I didn't know about the British Comics as I never collected those.

"Hanna-Barbera Parade" was a Charlton series that ran for 10 issues. Once again, it was a mixture of stories of different characters.

Geezil

Ah, Gerstein, you've done it again!

Postby Geezil » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:42 am

David Gerstein wrote:Image

"HUMPER DUMPER!"? What the hey...!?!!???

(Well, someone would have wondered eventually.)
:bosko: :bugs2: :mighty: :betty: :woody: :foggy: :audrey: :daffy:
P.U.P. Toons[font=Times New Roman][color=red]© are Our Toons! [/font][/color]

Der Captain

Postby Der Captain » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:54 pm

The only Hanna Barbera comics that looked amusing to me were the Charleton issues, and only partially. I remember there being some truly bizarre artwork in certain stories, often in "Parade" which featured outrageous character poses and sideline gags. I wish I knew who the artist was and what he's done since then.
"No buttons on der ding-busted pants!"

www.dangerousbird.com

Dave Bennett

Postby Dave Bennett » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:39 pm

This is a great thread . . . but it seems a little out of place here in an animation forum.
Then I went to look for the "Golden Age Funnies" forum that used to be here and couldn't find it!

I've been out of town for a few weeks -- did I miss an explanation of GAF's demise?

Dell Comics Fan -- I know you were a mainstay there -- what happened?

[color=DarkOrange]•

[/color]

TheBlueHombre

Postby TheBlueHombre » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:41 pm

Der Captain wrote:The only Hanna Barbera comics that looked amusing to me were the Charleton issues, and only partially. I remember there being some truly bizarre artwork in certain stories, often in "Parade" which featured outrageous character poses and sideline gags. I wish I knew who the artist was and what he's done since then.

Believe it or not, that was the work of Phil Mendez who has a long resume of working for Disney, Hanna-Barbera and other animation studios. Here is a link to an article about Phil:

http://www.cinemawithoutborders.com/news/125/ARTICLE/1246/2007-04-12.html

His website is: http://www.philmendezartist.com

I knew the artist you were talking about as soon as I read your reply. He did some work in Huckleberry Hound #6 for Charlton as well as other H-B characters. I remember that particular story (Huck has a drippy faucet and tries to take care of it) because there was all sorts of images to look at.

Matthew Hunter

Postby Matthew Hunter » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:46 pm

There was a cool short-lived series of Hanna-Barbera comics by Archie in the mid 90's. They had a Flintstones series, a Jetsons series, a Scooby Doo series, and various one-shots and such. I'm afraid I didn't save those I had, but they were well done. Especially the Jetsons and, believe it or not, the Scooby series!

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”