Hanna-Barbera Comics: Best & Worst

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Larry T, Jon Cooke, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Lee Glover

Dell Comics Fan

Postby Dell Comics Fan » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:28 am

TheBlueHombre wrote:Also, Dell Comics is the only time that Ruff and Reddy made it into comic books.

Ruff & Reddy also appeared in Gold Key's BANDWAGON and GOLDEN COMICS
DIGEST #2, 7 and 11 (the digest stories were all reprints).

Dell Comics Fan

Postby Dell Comics Fan » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:33 am

Daws Butler Jr. wrote:Although there were only 3 issues, I also really liked the Hanna-Barbera Parade comics that Gold Key did because there was a mix of characters in them, including Loopy De Loop, which I think is the only time he appeared in comic books.

Now that I think of it, he may have appeared as a back-up story in some of those books that featured secondary characters, like the Snooper and Blabber books or Snagglepuss or some of the one-shots like Lippy the Lion or Augie Doggie, but without dragging them out, I don't remember on my own.

Loopy De Loop also appeared in the hardcover WHITMAN COMIC BOOK titled "Augie Doggie & Loopy De Loop" (Sept. 1962). I don't recall any other
appearances. THE COMIC READER magazine published a complete index to
all the H-B characters' Dell/Gold Key appearances some years ago, but I don't
have time right now to dig it out of my collection.

Duck Dodgers

Postby Duck Dodgers » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:46 am

By the way, it is funny to mention (even if these are not H-B characters but MGM characters) that even Spike and Tyke (created by H-B for the Tom and Jerry cartoons and stars of their own short lived series too) had some comicbook issues of their own under the Dell Four Color series.
– Duck Dodgers

My Blog: Classic Cartoons

Daws Butler Jr.

Postby Daws Butler Jr. » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:23 pm

Dell Comics Fan wrote:Ruff & Reddy also appeared in Gold Key's BANDWAGON and GOLDEN COMICS
DIGEST #2, 7 and 11 (the digest stories were all reprints).

I had a vague recollection that Ruff and Reddy might have been in "Bandwagon", but I didn't want to say it for fear of making a fool of myself again after calling the title "Parade".
DB Jr. :chilly:

Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:49 pm

David Gerstein wrote:Locally produced H-B in overseas comics? How about Yogi Bear drawn by Disney's Romano Scarpa? Hey there, Ranger—there's nothing stranger!

That's actually very well Drawn and a testament to Scarpa's talents
"The Fudd of Intellect will never capture the Wabbit of true Vision"- Rafi Zabor, Introduction to the Book of Leviathan :bugs2: :befuddled

-Kevin M

Dell Comics Fan

Postby Dell Comics Fan » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:31 pm

Daws Butler Jr. wrote:Although there were only 3 issues, I also really liked the Hanna-Barbera Parade comics that Gold Key did because there was a mix of characters in them, including Loopy De Loop, which I think is the only time he appeared in comic books.

Now that I think of it, he may have appeared as a back-up story in some of those books that featured secondary characters, like the Snooper and Blabber books or Snagglepuss or some of the one-shots like Lippy the Lion or Augie Doggie, but without dragging them out, I don't remember on my own.

According to THE COMIC READER magazine's Don Rosa (#199, Feb. 1982):
Loopy De Loop only appeared in HANNA-BARBERA BANDWAGON #1 & 2] #1; and WHITMAN COMIC BOOK #5 [a hardcover
book which also featured Augie Doggie].

Dell Comics Fan

Postby Dell Comics Fan » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:33 pm

Duck Dodgers wrote:By the way, it is funny to mention (even if these are not H-B characters but MGM characters) that even Spike and Tyke (created by H-B for the Tom and Jerry cartoons and stars of their own short lived series too) had some comicbook issues of their own under the Dell Four Color series.

That's correct. It has also been said that Spike & Tyke influenced the creation
of Augie Doggie & Doggie Daddy.

Duck Dodgers

Postby Duck Dodgers » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:57 pm

Dell Comics Fan wrote:That's correct. It has also been said that Spike & Tyke influenced the creation
of Augie Doggie & Doggie Daddy.

You know, I happen to be a real Dell Comics Fan myself:p. Expecially with Disney characters.
It took me years but I collected an incredible number of Disney comics. I scanned the majority of them this year. They are almost ALL the WDC&S issues (I've obtained scans of the missing ones), Uncle Scrooge, Donald, Mickey etc....

I've many Four Color issues with various characters too.

To David,
Considering what I own and have read, yes, I could be qualified to suggest you some comic stories that would deserve to be reprinted on WDC&S.
If you would allow me to make suggestions, let me know....;) :p :p

Forgive my OT-ness, folks;)

rodinei1964

The comic book version from "Yogi's Treasure Hunt"

Postby rodinei1964 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:34 pm

TheBlueHombre wrote:I have a good H-B collection from all of the publishers, so here's my rankings:

1. Marvel
1. Archie
3. Comico (for both the Jonny Quest line and the one shot Space Ghost special)
4. Dell
5. Blackthorne (Flintstones in 3-D)
6. Gold Key
7. Harvey
8. Charlton
9. DC

I rank Harvey higher than Charlton because the covers were outstanding. Even though the material inside were reprints of the Charlton run, the covers on the Harvey line were excellent.

Also, Harvey did a great job on the 1994 Flintstones movie adaptation. The comic came with 3-D glasses. If you looked at it one way, you had the John Goodman version of the film. If you looked at it with a different color, you had the cartoon Fred and Barney. Reading the comic adaptation with the cartoon Fred and Barney made the story much, much better (Trust me).

Blackthorne did a quarterly publication of the Flintstones in 3-D with black and white art. It was gorgeous to look at it and very well done.

I rank both the Marvel and Archie runs in a tie for number one. When you have quality writers and artists who know the characters, it makes for a really enjoyable comic book. I own the original splash page art from Marvel Spotlight #1 that featured Huckleberry Hound. I bought it from Scott Shaw directly and it is still one of my prize possessions in my Huckleberry collection.

Interestingly, Harvey was going to start publishing original stories of the H-B characters but went out of business before the comics were printed. I still have a poster that was made announcing the Harvey H-B comics. It states, "Hanna-Barberians!" They mispelled Huck's name in the copyright material by spelling his first name "Huckelberry." The first of these original stories were later published when Archie Comics published the H-B comics.

DC gets last place honors because what they did with the H-B characters was horrible. The best one that they did was the one issue of "Yogi's Treasure Hunt." Huck appears in the eighth issue of "Cartoon Network Presents" as the backup story to "Magilla's Guerillas." The original title of Huck's story was supposed to be "Gulf War Huck." However, just before it went to publication, President Clinton conducted an airstrike on Iraq and the USA was at war with Saddam Hussein again. The comic was delayed for three weeks and was published with a new title, "War Is Huck." The story is about Huck bombing Iraq with a new type of germ.

I learned how to draw the H-B characters by imitating Ray Dirgo's style from the Charlton series. The stories weren't that good, but it was all I had for an example to work with in trying to learn how to draw the characters.

My favorite comic book story of all time, though, is from the Dell/Gold Key era and it is, "Huckleberry Hound For President." I still love that one so much.

Lastly, thanks for the great topic idea, Dell Comics Fan. It is great to be hearing from you again on this forum.

São Paulo - SP, Brazil, November 16, 2007 (yesterday was holiday here in Brazil: when Brazil left being an empire to become a republic, in 1889).

Hello, Blue Hombre!

When you were commenting about the comic book version from Yogi's Treasure Hunt (Hanna-Barbera, 1985-88) - which was published by DC -, I've found on the Internet, a scene of this same comic book version from Yogi's Treasure Hunt, which reunites Yogi, Boo Boo, Ranger Smith and several Hanna-Barbera classical characters (among them: Snagglepuss, Snooper & Blabber, Augie Doggie & Doggie Daddy and Huckleberry Hound).
The scene in the following:

This one will serve to refresh your memory, OK?
Well, that's it!
Tchau!

Cheers from this faithful friend who always writes 4 U,

Rodinei Campos da Silveira (from São Paulo, Brasil)
Meet me on my e-mails: [email="rodineic@excite.com"]mailto:rodineic@excite.com[/email], [email="rodineisilveira@bol.com.br"]mailto:rodineisilveira@bol.com.br[/email], [email="rcsbrasil@mort.zzn.com"]mailto:rcsbrasil@mort.zzn.com[/email] or [email="rodinei@starmedia.com"]mailto:rodinei@starmedia.com[/email]. You're always welcome!

Image "Here's Ranger Smith! Welcome to Jellystone Park! I hope that you enjoy the visit in our park!"

HANNA-BARBERA - 50 YEARS OF FUN - IN 2008, 50 YEARS OF YOGI BEAR AND HUCKLEBERRY HOUND

IN MEMORIAN OF WILLIAM HANNA & JOSEPH BARBERA

;)
Last edited by rodinei1964 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dell Comics Fan

Postby Dell Comics Fan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:55 pm

[quote="rodinei1964"]São Paulo - SP, Brazil, November 16, 2007 (yesterday was holiday here in Brazil: when Brazil left being an empire to become a republic, in 1889).

Hello, Blue Hombre!

When you were commenting about the comic book version from Yogi's Treasure Hunt (Hanna-Barbera, 1985-88) - which was published by DC -, I've found on the Internet, a scene of this same comic book version from Yogi's Treasure Hunt, which reunites Yogi, Boo Boo, Ranger Smith and several Hanna-Barbera classical characters (among them: Snagglepuss, Snooper & Blabber, Augie Doggie & Doggie Daddy and Huckleberry Hound).
The scene in the following:

This one will serve to refresh your memory, OK?
Well, that's it!
Tchau!

Cheers from this faithful friend who always writes 4 U,

Rodinei Campos da Silveira (from São Paulo, Brasil)
Meet me on my e-mails: [email="rodineic@excite.com"]mailto:rodineic@excite.com[/email], [email="rodineisilveira@bol.com.br"]mailto:rodineisilveira@bol.com.br[/email], [email="rcsbrasil@mort.zzn.com"]mailto:rcsbrasil@mort.zzn.com[/email] or [email="rodinei@starmedia.com"]mailto:rodinei@starmedia.com[/email]. You're always welcome!

Image "Here's Ranger Smith! Welcome to Jellystone Park! I hope that you enjoy the visit in our park!"

HANNA-BARBERA - 50 YEARS OF FUN - IN 2008, 50 YEARS OF YOGI BEAR AND HUCKLEBERRY HOUND

IN MEMORIAN OF WILLIAM HANNA & JOSEPH BARBERA

] Thanks for posting. I'll have to look for that comic sometime.

Return to “The Termite Terrace Trading Post”