Cartoon Network Looney Tunes Schedule - Week of 11-16 - 11-20-09

This read-only board is an archive of posts which list the contents of classic cartoon compilation programs.
Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:04 pm

Brandon Panther wrote:CN always edited that.

You're right... my memory is rusty. :magoo: :scrooge: :shame:

PudgieDParrot

Postby PudgieDParrot » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:05 pm

Just one question, Jon. When any "new" edits come up, will you be updating the Censored Cartoons page?
"Please, Help! Help! Help!----Eat your heart out Meryl Streep!"

Brandon Panther

Postby Brandon Panther » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:47 pm

PudgieDParrot wrote:Just one question, Jon. When any "new" edits come up, will you be updating the Censored Cartoons page?

The entry for "Hare-um Scare-um" needs to be changed.
My DeviantArt Page
"I must defend the remarkable prescience of the Hanna-Barbera writers. In the early 1960s, they dreamed up a futuristic world that seemed impossibly beyond our reach. Their creativity predicted the microwave oven, slide walks, smart phones and robot teachers. All these inventions are now routine realities of the 21st century." - Janet Waldo (LA Times, 2011)

hylatio

Postby hylatio » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:44 pm

I was able to catch the second half of this. I'm not sure if I've ever seen Bone, Sweet Bone before, either way it was an interesting cartoon.

Also, Daffy Duck in Hollywood was an a.a.p. print and it looked very faded (it was still fun to watch though!). Is this what they all looked like before they did the "dubbed" versions? Seeing the dubbed version of Buckaroo Bugs right after really showed how much better-looking they are (despite the fact that they all use the same ending card).

J. B. Warner

Postby J. B. Warner » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:06 pm

Is it just me, or are the commercial breaks getting longer? Seriously, each one feels like the length of one of the cartoons. (And given how long it's been since the Looney Tunes have appeared on Cartoon Network, it's quite a surreal experience to see the classics surrounded by commercials for "Johnny Test", "Ben 10: Alien Force", and the new "Pokémon" movie.)

Also, I noticed they've already dropped the bumpers from Sunday's marathon and have gone back to the generic CN bumpers, making the cartoons feel even more oddly juxtaposed. It's just really really weird to see characters like Flapjack and Panini, and then Bugs Bunny. It's like "One of these things is not like the others."

It's funny. For six years, the only exposure to the Looney Tunes that I had was uncut, remastered cartoons on DVD, packaged in a sophisticated and intellectual way, with commentaries and featurettes and all that, that I could watch whenever I want. And now, suddenly, here they are back on TV, in muddy, faded prints with certain gags edited out, and wrapped up in commercials for Play-Doh and Burger King, and in a time slot between a CGI Garfield show and reruns of "Scooby-Doo". As strange as it sounds, watching Looney Tunes on TV again is going to take a lot of getting used to.
:bugs2: This post is intended for adult collectors and may contain material that is unsuitable for younger children. :daffy:

PF9

Postby PF9 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:11 pm

hylatio wrote:I was able to catch the second half of this. I'm not sure if I've ever seen Bone, Sweet Bone before, either way it was an interesting cartoon.

Also, Daffy Duck in Hollywood was an a.a.p. print and it looked very faded (it was still fun to watch though!). Is this what they all looked like before they did the "dubbed" versions? Seeing the dubbed version of Buckaroo Bugs right after really showed how much better-looking they are (despite the fact that they all use the same ending card).

We got our first a.a.p. sighting of the month! Props to CN for recognizing their place in LT history.

Oh, and Birth of a Notion was to have been directed by Bob Clampett. He left before he could do it, so Robert McKimson did it.

One more thing: can anyone please upload today's broadcast of "Bone, Sweet Bone"?
"Let's bury the hatch-, I say let's bury the hatchet, but not in our cartoons boy!"

~ - Foghorn Leghorn on cartoon censorship, from "Crowing Pains" (original line altered) ~

In other words, air the LT cartoons as they were originally released. I appreciate being able to watch them on TV again, but eventually CN needs to stop censoring them.

HassanChop!

Postby HassanChop! » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:16 pm

J. B. Warner wrote:Is it just me, or are the commercial breaks getting longer? Seriously, each one feels like the length of one of the cartoons. (And given how long it's been since the Looney Tunes have appeared on Cartoon Network, it's quite a surreal experience to see the classics surrounded by commercials for "Johnny Test", "Ben 10: Alien Force", and the new "Pokémon" movie.)

Also, I noticed they've already dropped the bumpers from Sunday's marathon and have gone back to the generic CN bumpers, making the cartoons feel even more oddly juxtaposed. It's just really really weird to see characters like Flapjack and Panini, and then Bugs Bunny. It's like "One of these things is not like the others."

It's funny. For six years, the only exposure to the Looney Tunes that I had was uncut, remastered cartoons on DVD, packaged in a sophisticated and intellectual way, with commentaries and featurettes and all that, that I could watch whenever I want. And now, suddenly, here they are back on TV, in muddy, faded prints with certain gags edited out, and wrapped up in commercials for Play-Doh and Burger King, and in a time slot between a CGI Garfield show and reruns of "Scooby-Doo". As strange as it sounds, watching Looney Tunes on TV again is going to take a lot of getting used to.

I agree. Its hard transitioning from DVD sets that were aimed at adult collectors and that took the cartoons so seriously to these butchered up faded prints attempted to be aimed at children. But at least it airs before the original Scooby Doo, instead of one of the many countless rehashes and rip-offs. With Boomerang off my cable package, the Looney tunes, Scooby Doo, Tom and Jerry, and Pink Panther are my only source for classic cartoons on TV. So im not complaining too much.

PF9

Postby PF9 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:26 pm

today's order BTW:
Bedevilled Rabbit - WB-owned color cartoon
Birth of a Notion - a.a.p.
Bone, Sweet Bone - a.a.p.
Daffy Duck in Hollywood - a.a.p.
Buckaroo Bugs - a.a.p.
Catty Cornered - WB-owned color cartoon

a.a.p. regains the lead, at 11-9
"Let's bury the hatch-, I say let's bury the hatchet, but not in our cartoons boy!"

~ - Foghorn Leghorn on cartoon censorship, from "Crowing Pains" (original line altered) ~

In other words, air the LT cartoons as they were originally released. I appreciate being able to watch them on TV again, but eventually CN needs to stop censoring them.

Jon Cooke

Postby Jon Cooke » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:36 pm

Random notes of the day (11-18):

Is CN just going through the shorts in (somewhat) alphabetical order this week? :p

"Catty Cornered" is another great Tweety & Sylvester short unavailable on DVD.

Seeing that old print of "Daffy Duck in Hollywood" makes you realize how amazing the DVDs are. :eek:

Bugsy-Kun

Postby Bugsy-Kun » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:49 pm

J. B. Warner wrote:It's funny. For six years, the only exposure to the Looney Tunes that I had was uncut, remastered cartoons on DVD, packaged in a sophisticated and intellectual way, with commentaries and featurettes and all that, that I could watch whenever I want. And now, suddenly, here they are back on TV, in muddy, faded prints with certain gags edited out, and wrapped up in commercials for Play-Doh and Burger King, and in a time slot between a CGI Garfield show and reruns of "Scooby-Doo". As strange as it sounds, watching Looney Tunes on TV again is going to take a lot of getting used to.

Be lucky that this old stuffs shown on CN again because all of the classic cartoons (except the old Bugs & Tweety Show) are only in Teletoon Retro in Canada.

And be lucky too that they showed with the main titles instead to TV titles like from The Road Runner Show cartoons. That's means that in 12 years it showed in Teletoon in '97, they don't care to take the much recent prints available in market. At least, their Porky Pig Show compilations can showed DVD's copies with some B&W Porky (for replaced the offensive cartoons ran in the original Porky Pig Show in 1964), correct prints, faded prints, time-compressed prints and even a weird audio version of a Porky cartoon. (Their "Porky's Midnight Matinee" besides to be colorized have a awkward audio quality.)

We can say whatever we want but be sure that you American guys are lucky that CN have a vast collection of Warner Bros. cartoons often unavailable in Canada except for buy in DVD's. :D

Return to “What Aired Today?”